DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Uwol 9# How Hard Can It Be? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/124451-uwol-9-how-hard-can.html)

Peter Damerell June 24th, 2008 07:16 AM

Uwol 9# How Hard Can It Be?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys. Bit slow in putting this thread up. I've been out in the garden trying to repair a certain boat.

Thanks to Marj for the heads up!

We had a 48 hour window to come up with a theme, plan, shoot and edit this film. The stimulus for the film ended up being our tight time frame. Our cocky attatude to 48 hours...How hard can it be, inspired us to try to show that wildlife film making need not be a gruling afair; lugging heavy and expensive kit over savage terrain in rotten weather only to find your subject missing in action. we wanted to show how EASY wildlife film making can be.

After setting off at the unholy hour of 4am in our ...(thinks of suitable word)...unorthodox filming vessel, almost capsizing on numerous occasions (cameras not in waterproof housings), being blown onto a mud bank with a rapidly dropping tide (repeatedly), being stranded and having to wait 3 hours for the water to return, putting a significant hole in the front of our hull, being laughed at by every other water user and given a thorough looking over by the Harbour authorities who clearly thought we were smuggling we returned beaten, bruised, broken and a little damp from the 12 hour experience.

the photo below shows the inevitable end result of gettig out of a 'boat' which is stranded on a mud bank because you've drunk to much tea and need the toilet. It basicly sums up the trip for me.

How hard can it be?...VERY but so much fun!

Rob Evans June 24th, 2008 07:24 AM

This was pure genius and for me, the funniest UWOL entry I have seen to date. And there most definatley was wildlife there too, though mostly IN the boat ;-)

Cheers!

Bob Thieda June 24th, 2008 08:23 AM

OH MY! That was a hoot! Not only did you get wildlife, you told a great story.

Camera work was very good...Some of the shots in the boat just cracked me up.

Thanks for this....

Bob T.

Marj Atkins June 24th, 2008 09:21 AM

This movie made my day! Had tears rolling down my cheeks from laughter - I guess it was due to the unexpected angle for this challenge.

10 out of 10 for novelty, creativity and story - oh yes and for the most amazing video craft yet! Boy were you guys taking a chance on the cameras - again!
How long did it take you to put that hide together?

I think we can add a whole bunch of lessons to our "Wildlife videography for Dummies" book with this one!

Catherine Russell June 24th, 2008 11:18 AM

Well Pete and Nick....

After that episode I'll switch to dry land and a cup of coffee! Ye Haw what a hoot!

Cat

Steve Siegel June 24th, 2008 12:39 PM

It's like Monty Python meets David Attenborough. I loved it.

Oliver Pahlow June 24th, 2008 03:54 PM

That was very funny. Wagner backwards, very interesting.

Oliver Pahlow

Markus Nord June 25th, 2008 09:54 AM

That’s hard… what a fun film, just the way you think of when you picture a wildlife film crew capturing some rare animals on film.
Nice done, maybe not the way you though it would be…

John Dennis Robertson June 26th, 2008 12:23 AM

First the Ten Tab Mission,now this?..You guys sure have a wacky take on things....cant wait to see what you come up with next..

Eric Gulbransen June 26th, 2008 12:25 AM

That looked like a lot of fun Peter. Makes me wish I had someone to shoot with. Fun to watch. Thanks

Per Johan Naesje June 26th, 2008 12:51 AM

Wow, that was real fun to watch Peter! You definitive have a good eye for amusing us. Keep up your good work!

Mat Thompson June 26th, 2008 06:01 AM

You crazy cats !! :-) That mobile hide was just great, shame it met such a gruesome end! I really liked the edit from 2:12, snappy, dramatic and fun.

I like it when someone brings some comedy to UWOL....good stuff fella.

David Gemmell June 26th, 2008 07:13 AM

Well done boys,

You've done it again! What can I say, you guys are just fantastic. I loved the shot of the boat coming into the shot at the start, with the music an all. From there, I knew we were in for something special.

I know our staff are gonna have fun watching this in the morning.

Well done - UWOL now has a completely different slant on things, keep it coming.

Chris Barcellos June 26th, 2008 02:25 PM

I have to go to the hospital because I split a gut...

Russ Holland June 26th, 2008 02:29 PM

Genius!

Your floating hide reminded me of Johnny Kingdom.

His fell apart as well, and I've not laughed so much since.

Well done.