UWOL # 9 "Diversity" by Mike Teutsch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Inner Circle

UWOL # 9 "Diversity" by Mike Teutsch

Hi All,

I have been in the "Shark Tank," which I even named, since UWOL #1. I wanted to get one completed this time.

Between visits by two sons, one with his wife and my three granddaughters, trips to Sea World and other "FUN" hot spots, taking them all to see and shoot the last Space Shuttle launch, re-roofing my motorhome, a trip to Mobile, Alabama for our feature length movie and documentary project, being sick and many other obligations----I did it.

It is just a simple little movie, showing some of the diverse wildlife around me here in Southeast Florida. If we had had more time I would have included more species. Many species were shot in my back yard and many I had to walk and or drive and walk miles to find. Don't worry, I needed the exercise.

I hope that you get some enjoyment out of it and I will try to do better for next time.

Thanks----Mike
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Wow… that’s a lot of wildlife… I hade some problem viewing you film, it stops every 10 second. You hade a few shot that you hade put together to a sequence and I liked that, now it’s too many thing going on (I think). You live in a beautiful place with so many “big” things to film… I’m a bit jealous.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Trustee

Wow, this is so different from the wildlife I'm use to, up here in the Northern Europe, even if you showed us some known species. I understand that this was quick and dirty put toghether but you managed to keep my interest all the way through your film! Some shaky scenes which I dislike (you might have seen my huge tripod, which I always use!).
The film played very well on my computer.
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thank you guys! Yes is was down and dirty because of too many obligations, but it was fun. Just want to show some of the wildlife here in Florida. Other than Costa Rica and perhaps some other Central American countries, there are few places in the world with more diverse wildlife.

I especially love the birds and did not get all that I wanted. Got rained out many days and did not get my Sandhill Cranes. I really love them.

So, thanks for the interest and I'll try to use a tripod more often next time. Much too much of this was hand held and some with XLH1 and some with the HV20. HV20 is very hard to hold still at full zoom and I spent most of the time at full zoom on both. I even put a 1.6 adapter on the XLH1 to get some of those shots and that made it worse.

Thanks---Mike
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #5
Trustee

the title was certainly apt - a great variety of wildlife - I would love to see more of the pink flamingo, perhaps something devoted entirely to them but it was certainly diverse & entertaining
Old June 26th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi Mike:

Well, your title says it all! You have a little of everything in there! Some of the subjects it would have been nice to focus in on them a bit longer and allow us to draw in. This is a solid entry though. You set out to show us that there is a lot going on in your neck of the woods, and you achieved that. Looking forward to your next entry.

So YOU named the shark tank! That was actually well though out and appropriate! Just hope we can get a round with NO one in it!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Mike: Made up for lost time, and you covered more animals than anyone has who shot over last eight challenges. This film was like riding on Noah's Ark. Lots of fun.
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Mike,

WOW, that's certainly a lot of diversity! Amazing the variety of wildlife and filmed very nicely.

You capture a nice look/color at times - in particular the shots like the squirrel on the tree. Lovely color and almost a film sort of look. Same with the shots of the flamingo and cranes? I notice some of your shots seemed over-saturated Did you turn the saturation up a lot on the timeline?

The film certainly lived up to it's title however, I think you should pick half the species (the more exotic ones), and pick the very best footage you have, ie more time for the viewer to experience/feel the scene, before moving on.

The camera bumping is always a disappointment - especially when you get some great footage. Believe me, I know how it feels! However, if the footage is not rock solid, I think it needs to be an extremely interesting scene to get away with it.

You must have put in a huge effort to capture all this material and I can personally say that I enjoyed it immensely.

Well done Mike, you have finally broken the drought! No more Shark Tank for you from here on, eh:)
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Major Player

Nice overview of the wildlife in your area Mike. I was taken with the beautiful pelican with its rich brown neck - never seen a peli like that before!
Although I like it, I feel your music overwhelms the wildlife a bit. Retaining some natural sound would have been better.
Too much movement of the camera makes everything appear very busy and is difficult to follow.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The title sure fit the film. What an incredible area to live in regards to diversity. Nice work for a being a quick job.

Hope to see you in the next round.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #11
Major Player

I always like to see everyone's part of the planet and you've certainly shown us yours...

I would have liked to see or hear something to let me know just what part of the planet it is...

Aside from that, there was lots of nice shots and some really great ones. I think a polorizing filter would have made the water shots more interesting, but they were still good.

And you made it! No shark tank!

Bob
Old June 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #12
Trustee

Mike,

That was worth watching for the shot of the dragonfly(?) at 0:19. The red squirrel waving his tail around was another highlight - beautifully framed shot, that.

You packed a lot in there, and most of it was very well shot considering the lack of tripod. As I said for Lorinda's film, sometimes the hand held can work and make things more energetic - and isn't necessarily bad.

There was no real theme to your film, but that became the theme - just hitting us with animal after animal, wondering what would come next, you are lucky to have such variety so close to home.

Good film, well done.

And you do realise that you're not allowed back into the dhark tank again?
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #13
Wrangler

Wow--that's a lot of wildlife within 60 miles!

I loved the "standoff" at :55, the gorgeous framing of the flamingos at 1:19.

Hated the scavenger scene at 1:08, but that's Nature for ya.

Um, was that a shark there at 2:30? If so, how far from the shore were you? I ask, because I've been swimming twice from the beach in Ft. Lauderdale and wonder how bad I want to do it again... :)

Thanks so much for the overview, Mike. It was fun!
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Mike,

Those were some great closeup shots (dragon fly). You certainly do have quite the variety of wild life in your neck of the woods. Very nice.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #15
Wrangler

Out of the tank and onto the playing field at last! Nice job, Mike!

The record holder for time in the tank is held by the guy who named it the Shark Tank, it's fitting to have you out of there at last.

And a lot fun to see the diversity of animal life near you.

So welcome to UWOL. I've been wanting to say that for a very loooong time!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge