UWOL X "WWF" by Markus Nord at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 1st, 2008, 12:56 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL X "WWF" by Markus Nord

So, this is it!

Film: WWF – World Wildlife Fund, Sweden
by: Markus Nord

The WWF have during the summer run a campaign about stopping the pollution of nutrients to the Baltic Sea. That is the biggest problem right now and the effect of the sea is scary. This PSA is about showing that with effort to stop the pollution the important Bladderwrack will reestablish it self and the Baltic Sea will flourish again. As you all know The Baltic Sea is my main concern and I put al my work in to this, teaching kids about the environment and trying to make a change in people’s minds.

What is the PSA about?
My idea was to change between a good and bad place and in the end the good survives. It starts with an overgrown bottom where you don’t fine much life, and a sinus sound shout tell you that the heart have stopped. Then the heart start pumping and the good spot are coming back. And in the end the good spot survive. The text says “Stop the over-fertilization” ”Save the Baltic Sea”

My deal with WWF in Sweden is that they’ll use this PSA to the next year’s campaign. It may be like this that they wan to change something about it, I’m not sure right now. But this is the PSA I produced for the challenge.

Link:
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Major Player

This PSA/commercial is very classy - simple but sophisticated in approach. The extra wide screen is aesthetically extremely effective. The graphics and text used for your message are well-conceived.

I like your concept of building your message using alternate views of healthy and not so healthy bladderwrack, very effectively supported by your sound effects.

However, I have to confess that I don’t think I would have realized what I was looking at without your explanation in your feedback thread so the full impact of the message may have been lost on me. I’m not sure if others feel the same way but perhaps you need to rethink that a little for the ignorant and uninitiated like myself.

Another thought: you mentioned in your pipefish movie that the bladderwrack was the nursing home of the Baltic sea. Perhaps as the unfolding of your message progressed and the heartbeat became stronger you could have added some of those species - the life that finds protection in the bladderwrack to emphasize the full impact of its good state of health.
Well done on completing such an ambitious project as this one for WWF.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Visuals are fantastic. The aspect ratio makes it feel awesome. Music doesn't hurt either, but I have to agree its hard to understand exactly what is up. I think I sort of figured it out...

Excellent underwater footage is very well done though.

Nice and simple.
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Markus
Stunning underwater footage as always.What a great organisation and cause you chose to film your PSA on.
good entry
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Wrangler

Wow, Markus, the World Wildlife Fund, I am impressed. You really aimed high with this one.

Your underwater photography just gets more and more beautiful. The lighting here is just gorgeous. I don't think I know enough about how the good spots should look compared to the bad spots, in order to quite understand where you are going with this -- they both looked beautiful to me, maybe you have to do something to make more contrast between the good and the bad. You are such a good shooter, and the lighting is so nice, that the bad spots still looked beautiful to me, just more sparse...so I did not quite get the good v. bad set-up until you explained it.

This looks like the beginning of a very good relationship for you. I hope that you can do more work with WWF - Sweden.

I would like to know more about the Bladderwrack and why it is so important to the health of the Baltic Sea...guess I better go look it up!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi all… thanks for viewing and writing a comment.

Marj – This was my concern that the pictures was not enough to explain. I did not get much response from my contact either so I don’t know if they like it or not…
The idea sounded good in my head but maybe wasn’t that got on film. The problem is just what you pointed out, people don’t know anything about this problem and especially not how it should look like, so it’s hard to show a bad spot…

Ryan – The problem may be that I didn’t push the heartbeats pitch high enough. The heartbeat is the essence of the film and the association from a dead heart to a living.

John Dennis – Thanks, I just hope that my messages get through.

Meryem – maybe a bit too high?!?
I first hade the idea to film a total dead bottom with white sulfur spread out (that’s the result when the bottom is dead). The problem is that people don’t know what that is either so this is a hard thing to explain. We didn’t got any huge algae bloom this summer (it probably drifted east) so I couldn’t shot that, ‘cause that is something that people se and know about. Watts goes on under the surface is not well known.

I definitely struggled with this theme. Not what to do or with who, but how to show the essence of the problem.

Thanks again to you all…
Cheers from Sweden
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Markus,

Great shots as always:

I liked the low key shots being contrasted the high color shots
I liked the pulsing background increasing is speed and intensity to the end.

I feel it was a very effective piece

With lots of time I think a couple of your shots could be slightly better color matched.

fine job
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Ahh....the battle between good and evil, that most primitive of human emotions. You sucked me into the story...I didn't need to understand the language to get the message. Anyone could watch this even without sound and titles and see what you were talking about. I am glad that the good wins in the end...we need to see that there is hope out there.

Stunning camera work as usual. Great job.

Loved the Epic music...made me feel like I was watching the climax to The Lord of the Rings or something.

Stellar work
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:30 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Markus,
I was expecting a new underwater video from you. :)
The mix between the "dead" and the good places was a great idea, and I think it worked well for you. Maybe (as been commented already) a bit more difference between the good and the bad to make the message even more clear.

Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #10
Trustee

Hi Markus.
Well done on delivering video for uwolx.
Nice choice of music together with accelerating heartbeats.
Still I would like one or two dramatic scenes together with that dramatic music :)
I know your fight for a clean Baltic Sea and so I understand your aim with your video.
I would have liked the text to stay just a little bit longer though, at around 00:22

All the best
Geir Inge
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #11
Major Player

Hey Markus!

Wow, you hit the big one with this! The quality of your film was stunning, I loved the concept, the heartbeat - it felt very ethereal, the transitions were just perfect. I almost understood it without needing to have a translation. A very professional piece, i would be very happy myself to produce something like this ;-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #12
Major Player

Dale – Thanks dale… it’s hard to colour match with shots from different depth and with/without direct sunlight. Thanks for you comment.

Jeff – I always try to give hope in my films, ’cause I think that it’s to much ”Scary-info” out there and people are getting sick of it. I think that’s the wrong way of getting the info out there… It’s better to give people hope…

Trond – Hi Trond, I tried to change the difference between good and bad a much I could… maybe I could have chosen a different spot for ”bad”.

Geir – Thanks Geir from you comment… How do you mean ”more dramatic”… a really bad spot or some pollution shot?

Rob – Thanks Rob, I’m glad that you almost understood without a translation.

Thanks everyone for viewing and making a comment.

Markus
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #13
Trustee

Hey Markus

wow...visually stunning and what an organisation to punt at ! however as others have said lacking message.

SO

What you need is more of a comparision between healthy and unhealthy as the unhealthy looks pretty in its own way. In the first shots you need something people will instantly see as dead or unhealthy or even.

A dead pipefish floating sadly through the water maybe. Then in the healthy shots 2 pipefish intertwined mating or something.

Instantly readable visuals that the viewer doesnt need any knowledge to read!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge