DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Our Drinking Water (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/129446-our-drinking-water.html)

Oliver Pahlow September 5th, 2008 08:18 PM

Our Drinking Water

Hello my friends,

How many of you feel that we have in our countries clean and healthy drinking water? And if you do, where does it come from in your land?

Brian Luce September 5th, 2008 08:22 PM

Do you mean coming out of the tap?

Oliver Pahlow September 5th, 2008 08:30 PM

Yes, out of the tap if that is were it comes from in your country. It maybe bottled in others and imported. So, once again, where does your water come from my friends?

Oliver Pahlow September 5th, 2008 08:54 PM

So, I posed the question about where our drinking water comes from. I made a bold and true statement and question that we will all in time, and I mean all drink and bath in recycled water(look up my posts). My water comes from lake Michigan today which might as well be concidered recycled water. It is what it is. Were does the water come for you?

Brian Luce September 5th, 2008 09:15 PM

There isn't a short yes/no answer to your question. The situation in the Philippines (Where our PSA was filmed) is typical of many developing countries with regards to water supply. Some areas have no water and require walking to a source. Other areas, including the cities don't have consistent supply from taps. That's why so many occupancies have water tanks. You might have water for an hour a day or an hour a week. And the water that does come out of the tap is unsafe for drinking for several reasons. Deforestation has destroyed the watershed so rainfall doesn't replenish the water table, it runs into the sea which creates other environment issues. As the water table drops, sea water impinges into the ground water supply. Salty water is not drinkable and destroys plumbing. The other issue is most developing countries don't have sewage infrastructure let alone sewage treatment. Raw sewage either dumps into rivers/ocean or in individual septic systems which leads to bacteria contamination of the ground water. Then there's the lack of environmental regulation enforcement so there's industrial waste and pollution contaminating water supplies as well.

Perrone Ford September 5th, 2008 10:38 PM

My water comes from the Floridan Aquifer, and more specifically, the Woodville Karst Plain, and is among the cleanest water on Earth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Pahlow (Post 929950)
So, I posed the question about where our drinking water comes from. I made a bold and true statement and question that we will all in time, and I mean all drink and bath in recycled water(look up my posts). My water comes from lake Michigan today which might as well be concidered recycled water. It is what it is. Were does the water come for you?

Markus Nord September 6th, 2008 12:12 AM

In UC4 I made a film about my drinking water and for me (and most of Sweden) the water comes from a local lake. In Sweden we got a lot of fresh water and most of it is clean enough for a quick clean in the water treatment plant.

Film: Drinking water

Edit:
Oliver... I saw a film one our two years ago about drinking water in the US and I think it was somewhere in Texas there they recycle the water from a creek. In the end the water was back in the creek and on its way to the next town, clean enough for drinking...