UWOL #11 "Rulers of the Water" by Finn-Erik Faale at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Trustee

UWOL #11 "Rulers of the Water" by Finn-Erik Faale

Please forgive me for starting a thread... but what a hoot! How creative and well developed. The ending gave me a chuckle in spite of myself.

Come on Finn-Erik! Tell us what inspired you to put this up, I thought it was wonderful!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Trustee

Hope you dont mind I'm giving my thoughts to some of the videos, though I'm not participating this round?
I'm way into my books of psychology, but not that deep I can't watch some uwol videos :)
Nice of you Catherine, to put up a tread for Finn-Erik.

This video is old Norwegian folklore/folk religion/myth.
I almost made a similar to the night theme, but now I'm glad I didn't. This video bring us into the mysteries of mother nature. Not all can be said or shown using animals, birds etc. Sometimes there are things going on that we can't explain and your video, Finn-Erik take us to this secret place.
Link: Nix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also the choice of music is great, just loved this piece :)

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks so much for your comment and for starting the thread, Catherine.
I was not aware that the films were published already.
As you understand, I am totally new in this game.

I think it is Norwegian art from the second part of the nineteenth century which has inspired me. Artists from a period called "the golden age" in Norwegian visual arts.
Theodor Kittelsen is most known for his illustrations of trolls in fairy tales, but his mystic images of Nøkken are my favorites. They are of little interest for modern zoologists.
Rulers like Nøkken are known in other countries under different names. I think Fossegrimen is without equal in other countries.
The habitat is not far from where I live. When I walked along the creek the ideas just happened to turn up. It was easy to spend hours (too many) in this wet place.
The worst thing for me to accept in this film is my own voice and my pronunciation.

Finn-Erik
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Trustee

Finn-Erik,

An awesome whimsical film! I enjoyed it very much.

You are very fortunate to live near such beautiful scenery!

Nice choice of music and nice natural sound.
The shot of the grass blowing in the shot at 1:04 was kind of distracting but then you made up for it with that beautiful shot of the violin next to the water.

I think your VO was just fine. Heck, I have trouble with english and it's my native tongue! :)
I followed your story with no problems at all.

You might be new to this game but I think your shot a great film!
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Finn-Erik:

I think your voice-over and pronunciation is what gives it so much charm! It enhanced the entire mood of the clip.

Geir:

We miss you, Per and Vida Verde so much this round! We are so relieved to have Trond and Markus with us to represent team Norway, but it just doesn't feel right without the entire group of you participating! Get through your studies soon so you can join in again, and all the best.

Cat

Last edited by Catherine Russell; October 24th, 2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Catherine,Geir Inge and Kevin

Thanks so much for your friendly comments. I have surely not passed into the "lion's cave". Kevin, I have not thought about the blowing grass before you mentioned it. Yes, it is distracting!
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Wrangler

Hi Finn-Erik, welcome to UWOL...I'm glad to see that you are getting feedback already. You can't fly under the radar in this contest, the regular players will hunt you down!

Great first entry, and I'm glad to see that the Vikings are well represented once again. We aren't used to running this contest without a lot of Norwegians showing off their beautiful country to us. Team Norway always puts in a strong showing.

The framing and composition of your shots are both outstanding - these are the real strengths in your piece. You have a very photographic eye. Video begs for motion, though, so you might want to start considering ways that you can create photographic images like this, while adding some motion to your shot selection.

The image with the violin juxtaposed with the water is lovely - but I wonder why your soundtrack is harmonica music -- a violin accompaniment would have allowed you to transition from image to sound and made the violin's presence make more sense. Although you get extra points for creating your own original harmonica soundtrack - very cool.

I changed the title to the thread that Cat started for you, in order to conform it to our standard format.

And Geir -- and anyone else lurking about -- you don't have to play to comment! The players love hearing from everybody. That's what is so fun about playing on a public forum.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Finn-Erik

I really liked the story in this film and you matched the visuals with it very well. I loved the shot of the violinist playing by the river. Nice ending too. My only one criticism is there was a shot (0.27) that was a bit dark and the framing was a little confusing, but maybe that's just me.

Good film. Well done

Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Major Player

I am happy for all your comments. I have got far more and far better comments than I had expected.

Meryem, yes there is a violin player but no violin music. However, the piece is written for and mostly played on the violin. My idea was to show up some violin tones from the waterfall. The problem was that I had my fist violin lesson a few weeks ago. My violin playing is still not for the cats. The harmonica is fake but it sounds better. Thanks for the tip on moving pictures.

Mihali, thanks for your comment.
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hei Finn-Erik,

Welcome to uwol and Team Norway!
It's good to have you with us.

This was fun to watch!
You have a very good story, backed up by stunning images.
Don't worry about your own sound on video. You will soon get used to it.
(It's a process we all go through)

The colors (and also the focus) in the clip from 1:04 (the waterfall) are a bit soft compared to the bright colors in the rest of your video.

Well done! I look forward to see your future videos.
Stay with us!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #11
Trustee

Hi Finn-Erik:

Watched your film again and saw many new and wonderful things. It is a real joy. Welcome to team Norway!

Cat
Old October 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #12
Major Player

Catherine and Trond,

Thanks for your comments and warm welcome.
I feel honored to be recognized as a member of team Norway.
Old October 26th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #13
Inner Circle

fin,

Great compositions thoughout. Well done and a pleasure to watch. I liked the end with the emergence!!

Look forward to more films from you.

well done!!
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #14
Major Player

Hej Finn-Erik

Aaa.. the story about Näcken… you got some really nice shot on the creek and a good variety of different angle too… good job.

I like the music too… nice one and a good first uwol film.

Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Finn-Erik,

This lovely film you have made of legends and myths it was nice to have a story of Norwegian folklore the habitat of the Fosse grim.
good water fall shots, taken at different angles, nice warm rich colour in the violin on the bank, also the autumn acorns.

Am I seeing things at 1.21 to 1.24 I’m sure I can see the reflection of the violin in the stream or was it the näcken?
Very nice film.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge