DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL Long Form Map (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/141621-uwol-long-form-map.html)

Mike Sims January 15th, 2009 01:01 PM

UWOL Long Form Map

The story I’m telling takes place in late spring or early summer and I’m hard pressed to shoot much right now because of continuity problems. Come February the only things I’ll probably have to show will be cut-aways or animations that may or may not be in the final edit. I assume I’m not the only one. Fortunately spring arrives here in late February and by May I’ll be well caught up. In the mean time I’ve made a map of where we all are to help familiarize myself with the community. Some of the locations are certainly wrong because the information supplied was only a state or county, or I just couldn’t find you! Let me know if you want any changes or if you want to add a photo. It might be fun to later add the locations where we’re all shooting. Good-luck to those now shooting in the ice and snow. Stay warm!

Google Maps

Geir Inge January 15th, 2009 01:49 PM

Hi Mike.
First, right now I'm watching on NASA TV direct telling about life on Mars, it's exciting and fantastic.

To the map.
What a great job you've done, putting us all on the map.
For certain you've put me almost exactly inside my house :)
If you zoom the map into 1000 ft you'll see one yellow road marked with 4 number 61 marks.
If you count from down and up, you'll find a big curve turning right, between the nr 2 and nr 3, 61-marks. If you draw a vertical line right down from the curve to the road under (coloured white), that's my home.

Confused?
haha, me too :)

I started filming yesterday, some cutaways.
I wonder:
Should we make a tread: Tales of wonder and woe: Uwol Long Form 2009.
Just wondering...

Cheers
Geir Inge
Placemark 26

Per Johan Naesje January 15th, 2009 02:13 PM

Hi all and Happy New Uwol-Year to you all!

Nice map Mike, good to watch that we are spread out through the globe.

Geir Inge, we should definitive make a tales of... thread, do you... ...or should I?

Per Johan Naesje January 15th, 2009 02:17 PM

Mike, forgot to mention your question regarding what to show up in february.

Look in rule #3 here. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/uwol-chal...est-rules.html You may post anything, script, storyboard, footage (of course) etc...

Geir Inge January 15th, 2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje (Post 995532)
Geir Inge, we should definitive make a tales of... thread, do you... ...or should I?

If you please, be my guest :)
By the way, we have wonderfull weather right now.
A little bit cold with blue sky. Maybe I'll go out tomorrow morning shooting some more cutaways.

Geir Inge

Mike Sims January 15th, 2009 02:52 PM

Wow Geir! I didn't even get that close to my house!

Thanks Per Johan. I thought that's what Rule#3 meant. It also gives me a chance to keep shooting flying squirrels for another video.

Annie Haycock January 19th, 2009 05:08 AM

Hey Mike

The map is a brilliant idea - should help to improve our geography! It's one thing knowing where the countries are, another to place people in a particular area or city. The Pembrokeshire dot is only a few miles from my house, but on the wrong side of the estuary.

Annie
Placemark 17

Trond Saetre January 19th, 2009 08:19 AM

Hi Mike,

This was really cool. Nice to see where in the world we all live.
Thank you.

Mike Sims January 19th, 2009 09:59 AM

Annie- I moved you across the estuary closer to Cosheston. It’s probably still wrong. I find your estuary very interesting and can’t wait to see it through your videos.

Trond- My friend Blake Mackan lived in Bergen for several months while working on a Texas A&M oceanography project. For years he’s been telling me how great your town is and how friendly the people are.

If anyone else would like a geography adjustment let me know.

Catherine Russell January 21st, 2009 11:20 AM

Hi everyone:

How cool is this? The map is great, Mike Thanks! In checking it out, I'm right where I should be. That was thoughtful and informative to do for us.

All the best to great long form filming in 2009!

Cat

Annie Haycock January 22nd, 2009 03:51 AM

Mike, thanks for trying. I left Cosheston 15 years ago, and am now on the east side of the estuary near Landshipping.

When the house renovations are finished and I can get past all of the boxes of stuff stored in my office, I'll dig out some estuary video to post. Right now it's hard to find time or space to do anything!

Dale Guthormsen January 24th, 2009 09:12 PM

Mike,

This is ever so cool!!!

However, if you go to the south of the province to moose Jaw, then south to the big lake (Old Wives Lake) on the bottom side therre are two legs pointing down one to the east and one in the middle. Mossbank is 3 miles south of that leg on the lake.

I am in the banna belt, the present location is up where it is even colder!!

Mike Sims January 24th, 2009 10:34 PM

I moved Annie to near Landshipping and Dale to Mossbank and then noticed that my pin wasn't in the right place too!