Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009 - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 9th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #151
Major Player

I'm actually firing on most cylinders! Overall narrative isn't quite cracked yet but some great stories and creatures coming together. When's the exact deadline again? Still got a bit of editing to do!!!

Cheers!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #152
Major Player

Are we still required to post entries as .mov files? I am able to produce beautifully small, glitch-free files using Windows Media, but when I export files of any size into Quicktime, even using H.264 the megabytes are always in the hundreds. I just took a 30 MB Windows file of my entry and converted it to Quicktime. It became 378 MB. There has to be a better way.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #153
Major Player

Well, with some generous dispensation from Meryem I am in. I won't be back home to my computer to start editing until Monday, but will have SOMETHING up next week.

(Went on a boat trip up the the "Gates of the Mountains" today, with the pages from the Lewis and Clark Diaries of their journey thru there fresh in my mind. I could do a short piece on that... but of course that's not remotely my subject... and I will save that for some other time).

Chris Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #154
Trustee

OK, then.
I think I passed my medical test at school last Friday :)
So now it's full speed ahead trying to make my ULF something worth looking at.
I have a lots of tapes from different locations, and now I'm focusing on the intro story.

Just a question to you uwolers out there. To my intro I need shots of brown bear and Lynx. Is it much too wrong to use shots taken in a Zoo? I will of caurse give information about this in my film, in the end text, but there's no chance for me to get clips of wild bears or Lynx around where I live. I did visit a Zoo earlier this summer and intend to use it, so what do you think? The use of the clips will be as if the animals where in the wild and not in a Zoo.

By the way, tomorrow morning I'm off to a place where I hopefully will be able to catch some European Pine Marten (Martes martes), on tape.
If so, I'll post a picture of it in my feedback tread.
I will try to comment the rest of the films on Sunday.

Geir Inge
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #155
Trustee

Geir Inge,
I believe that this will be OK, as long as you mention it in your piece that this is captured species. Maybe Meryem could chime in to comment this?

Anyway, good luck in capture footage of the Pine Martens. Our paths will cross here, as I will be in the same area in about 14 days from now!
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #156
Inner Circle

Geir,

Actually, many, many wildlife and outdoors films shoot tamed, zoo or collection animals and they make no referance to them.

I do not think it really makes a difference but I personally would not make the bulk of my footage around them.
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #157
Trustee

Thank you both for responding Dale and PJ.
Well I most agreed, but it isn't that I want to build a story around the bear and lynx. In my intro I will tell why I got interested in wildlife and nature. Amongst others because of a famous norwegian writer called Mikkjel Foenhus, writing novelles where the animals do have the main roll. So I will use a clip or two from a bear and a lynx when I tell about his influence on me. The main story in my ULF video is still about the wild coast of Mid West Norway.
Now it's 23 pm over here and I'm going straight to bed, up early tomorrow, around 5.30 am for my Pine Marten shots :)

Geir Inge
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #158
Wrangler

one solution may be to borrow this footage - maybe per or kevin or one of the other players has a bear or lynx that they would lend, for a credit. it's ok with me if you have a shot or two from someone else, as long as you attribute it properly. a zoo is ok with me, too, it would not be my first choice, and there is a whole discussion about the ethics of wildlife shooting that we could engage, but I think for a placeholder, at least, this would be ok.

i am anticipating that even those of you who finish contest this will have another 2-6 months past the contest of polish work to do, anyway...when you start make longer films, you can re-work them and re-work them so many different ways.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #159
Trustee

Hi Geir:

I certainly know that Per had the master footage of bear in his "Pond of Bears" UWOL entry. But if that footage isn't available for whatever reason, I have a young black bear in this latest entry you are welcome to. If you go to 17 min 05 sec you can see the angle and distance it was shot at and if that might work for you.

Cheers,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #160
Trustee

Thank you for responding to my question about Zoo animals.
Well, I haven't desided yet what to do.
But I might use my Lynx and Brown bear clips (just a few seconds), or perhaps I'll use my shots of the Pine Marten, from todays shooting :)

Geir Inge
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM   #161
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post

i am anticipating that even those of you who finish contest this will have another 2-6 months past the contest of polish work to do, anyway...when you start make longer films, you can re-work them and re-work them so many different ways.
The more I work on this the more I realize the truth of what Meryem says. I also have learned the truth of the statement (variously and apparently always mis-attributed) that a film (or book or, use your own word here) is never finished, just abandoned.

Last edited by Chris Swanberg; August 22nd, 2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:10 AM   #162
Trustee

Hi all:

A tale of woe! I may be the first UWOL long form casualty. Yesterday I was filming up at Andrews Glacier up in the park and sprained my ankle making my way down through the upper boulder field on the way back. Everyone was awesome, two hikers coming up helped me negotiate the boulder field and dropped me off in an alpine meadow. From there I almost made it to one of the upper lakes by the time Park rescuers intercepted me and helped to a lower place where they could pack me out on a horse! Yikes, not the most comfortable ride I've ever had however immensely grateful I was!

Woe, woe, woe! There is so much filming left to do and my husband and I had planned to hike Longs peak just this week, a very important part of my film plan.

No broken bones, just a sprain and a very bruised ego.

O.K. Nobody else top this one! Let's just keep it at one casualty in this challenge!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:41 AM   #163
Trustee

Hi Catherine,
Wow what a situation! Glad to hear you made it down ok. I hope this doesn't put your plans in jeopardy. No good that it will no doubt put your hike up Longs peak back a bit, but hopefully you will be able to get up there before the good weather breaks.
All the best, hope the ankle heals up very quickly & you're back up in the mountains very soon.
Bryce
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #164
Major Player

Yes Cat - agree with Bryce.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM   #165
Trustee

Can't help it Catherine, bruised ego or not, but I just got to throw in one of my questions:

Did you manage to catch it on tape?

A big norwegian hug to you Catherine and hope you're doing well :)

Geir Inge

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge