Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM   #166
Major Player

Cat

Sorry to hear of your mishap... but happy it is nothing worse - not to minimize what was I am sure a very painful experience. Don't rush the recovery, maybe use the time at the computer.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM   #167
Trustee

Cat, sorry to hear of your mismap. Hope you can take it easy for a bit. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM   #168
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
Can't help it Catherine, bruised ego or not, but I just got to throw in one of my questions:

Did you manage to catch it on tape?

A big norwegian hug to you Catherine and hope you're doing well :)

Geir Inge
Ha! Amazingly people suggested that I film that "little drama" and I told them, "over my dead body would any of that get on film!" ;-).

Oh thanks you guys, you make me laugh and I'm feeling better already.

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #169
Wrangler

well, every feature film needs a "making of"...

remember when Mat was kind enough to share gory images of his infected foot? whaddya got?

sounds like a good excuse to get the edit going...

get better soon, long's peak awaits you. i haven't been up there in years! should get off my backside and do that thing again...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #170
Inner Circle

Cat,

sprains are a pain and sometimes take longer than breaks to heal, hopefully not!!! Heck thats why they make pain killers, so we can keep plugging ahead!!!

Horseback, with a steady cam would be interesting, eh? Or do what you can and send Hubby ahead for the shots, particularly of you gimping along the ridge!!

Hope you are doing better!!!
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #171
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post

get better soon, long's peak awaits you. i haven't been up there in years! should get off my backside and do that thing again...
Okay friend. Come with us! The invitation is open for the taking. There's just the minor detail of a sprained ankle to heal enough to go... <sigh>. But please consider it!

Dale, I think that's how this might turn out, hubby getting some shots of "the gimp" slothing up the trail. Fortunately the focus is certainly not supposed to be me, the few shots like that will be used metaphorically with lots of other stuff going on. Hopefully not too noticeable then?

Thank you, thank you for the comments and well-wishes everyone. It does a lot for the moral which I'm certain heals me up faster. Meryem, if I'm bored enough I'll put up a photo of my foot. (how dull is that!)

Cat
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #172
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

Well, yesterday was a bad day. The white gyrfalcon I spent all summer preparing for the filming over the next few weeks was shot by someone. When he was found he was still warm. Game bird shootng opened the day before!!!

you get really attached to these birds, It Breaks the heart!!! Made me pretty hateful yesterday.

That pokes a big hole in my plans!!! sucks the enthusiasm right out of me!!!
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #173
Major Player

Dale..

I am so sorry to hear this heartbreaking news. I hope you can manage to continue to work on a film, even if it takes a turn and comes to a different ending. You might have a golden opportunity to use this as a "teachable moment", if not for UWOL, for some other purpose.

My condolences.

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #174
Major Player

Dale,
It was a very bad day. No doubt it was some bird hunter that shot the falcon to prevent it “stealing” “his” birds. I can understand you feeling hateful. There is nothing worse than cruelty resulting from ignorance. Especially so since ignorance is such an easily treatable and preventable mental illness. I’m really sorry about the problems this causes your video and the resulting loss of enthusiasm. On long projects, even without tragedies like this, I have at least two periods when I get really down. I think the hardest part about finishing is pulling myself up out of the pits. The great thing about UWOL is- you are not alone out there! Just remember, we’re all pulling for you.

You do get really attached to the subjects. A few days ago one of the flying squirrels I’ve been recording for two years was attacked by an owl. He got away, but minus half his tail. Now I worry that even if he doesn’t die from infection he won’t be able to fly well enough to make a good living.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #175
Trustee

Thats a real shame. I think though you should grab the camera a cover it as part of your story Dale, its real un-fore seen tradegy and covers something that our wildlife has to deal with every day, and sometimes the not so wild! I found a Great Crested Grebe last year sitting in a field who'd been tagged by a shot pellet. It went to the local wildlife hospital after I picked it up and carried it home. How anyone could mistake it for a pigeon or pheasant I don't know, maybe they didn't!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #176
Trustee

Oh Dale,

I am so sorry. I'm devastated along with you. I don't know what to say... speechless. We are with you together in this. Whatever you feel like you need to do, I'll be with you on it. I don't know if I would have the grit to finish a film after my start subject was killed. Your call.

It was a beautiful falcon. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a horrible waste.

All the best,

Sincerely,
Cat
Old September 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #177
Wrangler

So sorry, Dale, that is such sad news to report...sorry to hear about the falcon...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #178
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Well, thanks for the comments, appreciated.

I Had not thought of using it as part of the project, but in thinking about it I think I will work it in in some fashion, great idea and perhaps it will save another falcon in the future so he doesn't die totally in vain.

The plan remains the same, just not as much depth showing more than one type of raptor.

I am within 8 minutes of finishing my first segment (26 minutes), I reckon I will use this in the hunting portion (sement two).

Here is a picture of him well and fine
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-drako-sept-09.jpg  
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:13 AM   #179
Trustee

Dale,

I'm so sorry to hear the sad news about the Falcon.
I told about it to my wife and our two daughters, and we are right there with you my friend.

Geir Inge
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM   #180
Trustee

Hey Dale:

That's a beautiful bird! Did you ever name him?

Glad you're still on track to finish your film.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge