Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009 - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #196
Trustee

Dale, Chris and Geir:

This latest news from all of you saddens me a bit. You all are such an important part of this forum with such valuable artistic contributions.

I'm looking forward to continue working with you on our quests together next year.

Dale, I wasn't certain from your thread if you were still in or not, but I'm hopeful that you have recovered enough to finish this round.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #197
Major Player

So where is everyone throwing their crashed computers? I have two to throw on the pile - in one week!!!

No data lost fortunately - yet - but I have to reload all my software when I get it back and .. redo all my settings again ... man do I need this like a hole in the head at this point in time!

I have been offline for the better part of a week so there is a lot to catch up on. I'm sorry to hear about all of you who have had to give up at this point. I'm hanging on in the hope I can still put up something even if it isn't finished.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #198
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

I am rendering a 10 minute segment so have a bit of time.

I am trying to complete!!!

I will be working full steam today and tomarrow to get a wrap on it, at least as far as making it complete enough for the compition, even if I will have a fair amount to complete before sending it off to the TV station!!

I had my new computer crash on me twice!!! I messed around with it enough to get it started and working again.

I messed up my Hard drives and spent a couple full days sorting that out!!

I am saying my prayers nothing happens today or tomarrow!!!

things will be more at ease when we finish!!! definite relief.
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #199
Trustee

Man! What is it about this long form ending? It's sort of an epic for everyone! I'm sorry to hear about the mishaps Marj. What a mess. That makes you, Dale and Mike the leaders in computer woes thus far.

Ah... only two days and it will all be over! And yet, we still don't have the format rules! What fun!

Cat
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #200
Major Player

Yes Cat - can't work it out - especially with a system that has been very stable for five years. I put my entire project on an external hard drive in case something like this did happen, so I was able to walk it over to another computer but when the mother board there blew I really began to wonder! Not only that - our local network tower went down so its been fun and games all round. I have my computer back - it still shuts down on me every now and then so I have to save continuously - but I guess this is what one would call a character-building exercise :)

Incidentally, Mat also had a huge crash a few weeks back too! Guess the moral of the story is - build it into your planning when doing a project of this magnitude over such a long period of time.

I hope there are not only two days - the rules say we have the week of the 15th November to finish and somewhere Meryem confirmed the 21st as being the final deadline beyond which no one would get an extension.
Meryem you better come in here cause I am dead in the water if its only two days to go -- for certain.

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #201
Wrangler

Don't panic (well not yet, anyway...) you do have this week to post, until Nov. 21st, midnight anywhere in the world...

sorry for the mass slaughter of computers, these fat files can tax systems....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #202
Trustee

Meryem! You're here! Can you let us know what you have decided the long format restrictions are so we can get on it?

Thank you, thank you! We need the voice of our leader at a time like this!

Cat
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #203
Wrangler

email sent with instructions to all the officially remaining players (you're not out until you formally miss a deadline, even if you have declared utter failure and exhaustion)...if you don't get it within the next hour or so, shoot me an email and i'll re-send...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #204
Major Player

Looks like i'm going to be tight against the wall on this one - I had this weekend planned to record a final series or v/o's - guess what? I've had a chest infection for pretty much most of the last 5 days. Oh joy. Should work out ok but will deffo be a few late nights this week. Good luck to the rest of you who haven't finished yet!!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #205
Trustee

Rob:

Take care of yourself and feel better. You're right in the mainstream having an epic at the very end. We're all having issues of some sort!

Cat
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #206
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

I should have read this friday!!!!!

In a great panic to have up by the 15th, and now I notice I had until the 21st!!!

Rob, you take care of yourself!!!! my son got deathly sick from a "simple" lung infection!! Took months for him to recover!!!!

Don't overdue it trying to complete!
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #207
Major Player

Nice going, Dale! Glad you got it done.

Is anyone else suffering from Post Video Stress Syndrome? I didn’t realize how tired I was. All I did was sleep yesterday. I still have Studio Burn (extreme Studio Tan from too many hours editing) and Project Fatigue (from too many weeks thinking about the same thing). With the deadline now the 21st, I should do more- but I don’t trust my judgment. I know there are a hundred tweaks I can easily make that will be an improvement if I come back to it in a few weeks time with fresh eyes. For now, better to leave “well enough” alone…
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #208
Major Player

I thought remember the deadline was the 21st. I looked at the Contest Rules yesterday and I read the the week of November 15.
In Norway, monday is the first day of week.

So, I did suffer by the Post Video Stress Syndrome yesterday.

My video is uploaded and I feel relaxed today.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #209
Major Player

It's a good point, has anyone actually added up all the time they have spent on this project?
I haven't , but I'm guessing with all the shooting, arranging, planning, scripting and editing it's probably a couple of hundred hours!! eeek!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #210
Inner Circle

Rob,

I spent 5 trips a long way from home turf three of those were three or more days. I shot around 20 hours of footage. When shooting fast flying falcons there is a large measure of unusable material!! I have some serious SD footage that will be integrated into the television version (it was shot outside of challenge parameters).

The hours Editing is rather staggering!!! Worse yet, I could have done a whole lot more!!!
I am certain between field time and tech time I am long over a few hundred hours!

To be honest, the challenge was my primary motivator to do this project, and I was really worried about having to large a file to have it even looked at!! Originally I had planned three parts, because of my injured fall season I could not get the fall footage. I would have been even more stressed than I already was condensing it into one 40 minute effort.

Knowing that now, I would do the entire thing different: shoot in SD, narrow down topic to just a single aspect, Select a toipic not quite as volitile as the one I chose.

I learned more than I ever thought I would!!! I now realize there are a bunch of things I must work even harder at (audio in particular).

Everyone has been so helpful in all kinds of ways from motivation to techno stuff I am ever so appreciative!!!

Anyway, today I spent outside (it is actually a balmy 48 f) working in the yard doing the clean up that should have been done in early October. It was kind of a refreshing break after tha last four days!!!! Now I am setting down with some laugvulin scotch and saying, "AHhhhhh!!"

Life is about learning!! Yu need one life to get it, a-a second to optimize it!!

Anxious to see all your real talented efforts!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge