Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 9th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #61
Trustee

Bird of prey

Back from a beautiful trip where I did recording of raptors. Fortunately we have several places in Norway, where it's possible to get in real close contact with them.

My friend Ole Arne and me spent 2 two days on this beautiful place. The scattered light at dawn enhanced the great colors of this birds very nice.

Stay tuned for some real nice footage for part 1 of the long-form-uwol next week!

Attached:
- White Tailed Eagle - the largest bird of prey in Norway
- Goshawk female
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-whitetailedeagle.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-goshawk.jpg  

Old February 9th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #62
Regular Crew

okay so i am having a wee bit of a panic. well actually I am not panicing just curious... would it be a completely bad thing if my first set of footage doesn't contain any wild life?

Okay i know i know this is the wildlife competition ! BUT I am aiming to produce something for children that uses a book as a means to edutain. I am using graphics and effects reasonably heavily so my first set of footage is more of a moving storyboard .

Is that going to be acceptable?
Jennie Stenhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #63
Trustee

Hi Jennie,
It doesn't matter what kind of material you're presenting in this first round of the challenge! Anything, drafts, talking head, storyboarding - etc... will do

This first presentation will not be held for any judging. You just have to show that you are doing something and that you're still are working, progressing for the final film which are of deadline the week November 15. this year.

I believe there is many players out there, which have not started yet with any filming. So relax Jennie, remember rule #11 - first of all have fun!
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #64
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie Stenhouse View Post
okay so i am having a wee bit of a panic. well actually I am not panicing just curious... would it be a completely bad thing if my first set of footage doesn't contain any wild life?

Is that going to be acceptable?
Just to reinforce what Per so clearly stated...

your footage doesn't have to contain any wildlife...it can be interviews, fx, whatever....heck, you could shoot yourself unboxing your new camera and flipping through the manual...as long as your footage contributes to the forward motion of your project. that's all we are looking for, and you won't be judged until the end of the contest. the rest is just keeping up, working on your idea, making progress. you can't leave a project like this until the last minute, its magnitude is too large.

but it's your project...you decide the content, we crack the whip.

and to the players...i will be getting some instructions out to you soon -- i'm preoccupied right now, because my best friend and shooting partner, best dog Violet (some of you know her from her cameos in my films...) is in her last days, and i'm having some tough personal times, at the moment....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #65
Major Player

Hey Meryem, please give a shout out if you need a hand in lightening the load, I'm sure there's a number of us here who'd be glad to muck in if needed ;-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #66
Regular Crew

I'm not sure where to post this so i'll try this tread.

I signed up for the uwol long form contest but since then i have started working fulltime as a production assistant in one of the longest running norwegian tv-series, so im out of time to keep up with the uwol long form contest. The hours on set is to long to do the uwol at the same time!

I therefore withdraw from the longform.
I'll probably join the short uwols instead if i have some time to spare!
Good luck to everybody!
Vegard Paulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Per Johan,

Ahhhh, my favorite subject!!! Are those Frame grabs??? They are beautiful and the shallow depth of field emphesizes the subject so well!!!! The goshawk was obviously eating something, eh?

I am assembling some clips of falcons flying that may be used in the winter segment of mine.

hope to get out again this week to shoot some gyrfalcon footage.

Here are a couple shots from one of out shoots
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-jazz-hit.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009-jazz-rooster.jpg  

Old February 12th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #68
Trustee

Dale, wow! Are you showing a mid air strike here!!!? What kind of wretched species was hit? Looks like a grouse or something similar to me!
Can't wait to view your footage

Regarding the goshawk, you have to bait it to get in close contact with it. This is a hard to reach species, very shy. The favorite bait was a crow. I will show you some real nice and not so often seen situations of how it prepare and eat the crow in the film

BTW - pics was frame grabs.

stay tuned!

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; February 12th, 2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: added text
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #69
Trustee

Sorry for dual posting, gateway timeout!
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #70
Inner Circle

Per,

This particular shoot was a wild rooster pheasant. I also have footage of Grouse too.

It has been real hard filming this winter due to unrelentless winds and cold of course.

As per Tronde's suggestion I did acquire a polar mitten for the camera!! Most of the shooting has been out in exposed air, no blinds to help!! Will be doing another shoot this weekend and hope to get a gyrfalcon in action.
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #71
Trustee

Great pics Per and Dale. Looking forward to see your videos.
Well, way up here on the mid west coast of Norway, the snow finally came last night.
I think that is a little too late in season, as the birds are starting to mate and I have seen the first Primrose this year. "My" White-taled Eagle couple has fixed on their nest and I'm anxious to see if there's gonna be chicks this year.
I had plans for this weekend, but all the snow makes me change them. That's part of being a wildlife film maker I guess :)
OK, my 3 min video is ready to be uploaded and it will be something different from my other uwol videos, and is not to be a part of my final Long Form video. This is just to tell, or rather show my locations for my Uwol LF 2009 video. I will make a link to it later, next week.

Geir Inge
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #72
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
Marj... I'd like to hear a little about your animation. In a perfect world my film would include some (plate tectonics and sedimentation and other geology kind of stuff) but I think that IS biting off too much for me right now.
Hi Chris:

Maybe not! I've stepped away for a bit from the forum and am just now skimming through people's posts. My husband has his own business called Computer Terrain Mapping, Inc computer terrain mapping home page and he is really good at geographic animations. My February entry will almost be exclusively an animation he has generated to help me visually describe the layout of the Rocky Mountain National Park region, the topic that I have chosen for my project. If you visit his web site and view his animation samples and like what you see, perhaps we can help you out in your tectonic animation? I don't know for sure, but it's worth trying out if you are interested. Keep in touch on this. This is the fun part about this forum! We can co-work with each other whenever the circumstances fit!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #73
Trustee

Quote:
Marj... I'd like to hear a little about your animation. In a perfect world my film would include some (plate tectonics and sedimentation and other geology kind of stuff) but I think that IS biting off too much for me right now.
Hi Chris:

Maybe not! I've stepped away for a bit from the forum and am just now skimming through people's posts. My husband has his own business called Computer Terrain Mapping, Inc computer terrain mapping home page and he is really good at geographic animations. My February entry will almost be exclusively an animation he has generated to help me visually describe the layout of the Rocky Mountain National Park region, the topic that I have chosen for my project. If you visit his web site and view his animation samples and like what you see, perhaps we can help you out in your tectonic animation? I don't know for sure, but it's worth trying out if you are interested. Keep in touch on this. This is the fun part about this forum! We can co-work with each other whenever the circumstances fit!

Cat
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #74
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Chris:

Cat
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #75
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Chris:

Cat

p.s. Thank you for your gracious offer to host me in Montana if I were going with the Bison theme. Now that would be the place to go and film Buffalo!
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge