BobSafay-Galapagos Islands-Long Form - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 20th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #31
Trustee

Bob, wow that was some amazing footage you got! Seems that your trip was successful even with your problems with the authorities allowing you to use proper gear!

I´m looking very well forward to your finished film, 7 hours of raw material should be sufficient for some really interesting scenes!
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #32
Trustee

Wow Bob,
Fantastic stuff! You have some really nice footage for your film there. I didn't find the shake on the shots too bad at all. I loved the way you slowed down some of the footage of the birds diving into the water & the shot of the iguana squirting the salty water out of its nose & it certainly helped lesson the shake.
With 7 hours of footage for you to work with, along with the stuff you have already of the planning stages, it certainly looks like you have the makings of a great film. This looks like a real adventure & i can't wait to see more. Good luck with the editing. Will you be doing any more filming for your project or is that it now & on to the editing stage? I guess if you have all the footage you need, then you at least have plenty of time to spend on the editing & get things exactly how you want them.
Thanks for sharing, & all the best.
Bryce
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #33
Trustee

Hi Bob.
Great footage my friend :)
Can't say much more, other that I really do envy your trip to Galapagos.
Can't wait to see more from the islands.

Geir Inge
Old August 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #34
Trustee

OK everyone, I loaded The Galapagos #3 last night. It was a bit longer than I intended but what the heck, enjoy it. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #35
Trustee

Sorry, I uploaded this on YouTube Sunday night, left on travel and did not get home till last night where I discovered that it was to long for YouTube. I cut three minutes off the begining. As you recall, the begining was me packing to go to the Galapagos and ended with the shot of the plane taking off from Atlanta. This picks up at the end of that. I uploaded the entire thing to the UWOL site so I hope that that went through. Enjoy. Bob

YouTube - Safay TheGalapagos UWOLLongForm3b
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #36
Major Player

Bob- Very good! You truly found the adventure you were seeking. There are several things I like about this sequence. First of all, the travelogue approach. It really makes me feel like I’m there following you around. The shot looking out of the plane window is great. I like the way you integrated stills with video. It was fun to see my old friend Sally Lightfoote. I especially liked the shot with the ocean spray rainbows. You are really putting together an interesting program!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #37
Major Player

It is a pleasure to be a traveling guest through your video. You have many fine shots of so many different animals. I am envious. Are most of them shot without tripod? I think it looks steady yet and works well. It gives the film a documentary character. Your narrating is good and not too much.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #38
Trustee

Bob:

How inspiring! I can only dream of a trip like that, and here you serve it up on a silver platter! The wildlife footage is excellent and of course, exotic. You have a nice narration voice and the travel log approach suits the film well. I am especially fond of the Galapagos Iguana, my favorite! I would have loved to have seen much more of him. Any thought to adding music? The right selection might throw us into an instant tropical reverie and round out your video. Nicely done, Bob. Geir will be pleased, you even ask a question that perks our interest hopefully you will eventually tell us, just why all the boats are painted blue! ;-)

All the best for the next round. Can't wait to see what else you ran into there!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #39
Major Player

Bob

You managed to take us all along with you on this journey. Your film was well done, nicely edited and kept me enthralled throughout. It did feel like I was there with you and the is the ultimate compliment.

Good narration btw. An epic journey.... well shared ! Thank you.

Chris Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #40
Trustee

Bob, very interesting and nice film. The film was nice built up and got my interest from start to end.
I could have wished some more close-up shots of some of the species, though! But it could be that it was difficult for you to get real close in a trip like this?

The sound seem a bit low, I had to raise the volum to top on my laptop to hear your narrating.

Looking forward to watch your complete story!
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Bob,

I truly enjoyed watching your film! I really liked the close ups and bet in full res they would be spectacular!!

I thought the naration was good but a couple times would have liked a little more information on a species.

the clip of lonesome george I really could not make out the turtle. If it is hd perhaps you could crop it a bit for emphesis!!

I look forward to the finished product.
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #42
Trustee

Hey Bob ! You made it there....wow I'm very envious!

I liked your narration although I think you need to find more in way of a story on which the hang both the film and the sequences. I like the travellers guide feel of the piece but it somehow need more. A search for something, something or some information you (and us) are looking to find out. This will give the piece a better angle and add some suspense and keep people watching.

I think the footage on the whole is nice. It could have used a tripod in places and the shot movement a little more controlled but I do like what you've got. Oh I love the surf coming up behind the Booby....great shot and very Galapagos in feel...lovely!

It may also be worth dropping the sound track in places because it has little value and doesnt add anything. Maybe this is a good chance to use some score and or other background/foley sounds.

All in all I want some more...so your doing the right thing! Just give me something to wait for and some more information and story and i think your piece will be even better!

Cheers
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:21 AM   #43
Trustee

Hi Bob.

Well you really do show us a varation of species.
Can't say other than I do envy your trip to The World of Darwin :)
When it comes to storyline, I'm not sure what way it'll take, or what you're aiming at.
But I fully agreed with Mat in that matter.
Nice shots and angles. I guess your soundtrack will be modified in the end? Take a way unnecessary noice/sound, people speaking, etc.
But if I refer to your first ULF video I think your story will be an adventure like, am I right or am I wrong?

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old September 1st, 2009, 04:31 AM   #44
Trustee

Sorry for the late reply, I just got back from doing a video in Baraboo, Wisconsin. Thanks for all your comments. I wish I could have used a tripod, but much to hard to get it into and out of a "ponga" with other people in it. I also realize that I need to work on the audio. Definately need to get rid of the background chatter. And, I need to beef up the story. I want to add more on the wildlife as well as some information on the different islands. I must say, it was a dream trip and I would do it again in a New York minute.
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #45
Major Player

Have to agree - you certainly have some beautiful shots there Bob. What an experience. Some of the species are really intriguing and I am curious to find out more about them. Looking forward to your next installment!
Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge