BobSafay-Galapagos Islands-Long Form - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 20th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #46
Trustee

Hello to all. I am sorry to be late, but I did upload The Galapagos long form to UWOL. It is a continuation of my travels to the Galapagos Islands. This evening I will post the updated version on UTube. As it is over 10 minutes long I will cut the first parts that you have already seen. Also, as I got behind in things I have not added a lot of the detailed narration about the islands such as population, limiting factors in growth and eradication of non-native animals. This will be included in the final version. Enjoy. Bob

Last edited by Bob Safay; October 21st, 2009 at 04:33 AM.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:04 AM   #47
Trustee

Looking forward to seeing the version on You Tube when it's up!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:01 PM   #48
Trustee

Here is the link to my 4th update for the UWOL Long Form on youtube. It is a continuation of my travels to the Galapagos. Enjoy. Bob

YouTube - Safay TheGalapagos UWOLLongForm4b
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:51 PM   #49
Major Player

Bob- You’ve done some fabulous work here. Doubly so because you had so few days to shoot everything. Congratulations. I’m really looking forward to seeing the finished piece with all the parts in the right place! See you next month.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:32 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Finally had a chance to look at your entry. Really nice and I loved the frigitbird!! The finished rendition is going to be really nice I am certain and I can't wait to see it!!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM   #51
Trustee

Hey Bob

Great stuff and a pleasure to watch. I love the Iggys, hopefully one day I'll get to see them myself! - On the whole I think much of my critique from the last round plays true. I think the piece felt like it needed more structure/premise/story holding it together. Some of the sequences felt a little haphazard and mixed up but this is probably an extension of the same issue.

Some great footage and I like some of your relaxed narration.

Great stuff Bob ! Looking forward to seeing the whole peice togther :-)
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM   #52
Trustee

Hi Bob:

This film footage takes my breath away. What an exceptional trip you were able to go on. Not only the sites were captivating with such diverse and foreign wildlife, but the sounds too! This is a treasure trove of documented nature.

You have a nice narration voice and it fits well into your piece. Looking forward to the full feature to get lost in.

Congratulations.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #53
Major Player

Bob

GREAT stuff... to think you had but a few days to do all your capture. The images were sharp, nicely balanced and your editing was 'invisible". I especially like your narrating.

Did you spend some time in post with the footage? It is incredibly nicely balanced, and pleasant to the eye without harsh contrast etc.

I'm glad you are taking us along on this one in a lifetime voyage!

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #54
Major Player

Bob,
Beautiful footage. A pleasure to watch. I especially enjoyed the audio. Those are very difficult sounds to get. My only comment is that you introduced the Red-footed Booby while showing a pair of Masked boobies.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #55
Major Player

Why is it when Steve starts talking about a pair of.....well you know, I blush and then giggle like a schoolboy?

Oh nevermind.

Carry on.

Chris

(masked?.... Well I guess it it IS Halloween)
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #56
Trustee

Hey everyone, thanks for the input. Matt, you are right, once I get the video and sound track completed I will add a lot more information on the geology, history and wildlife. Steve, I had to look at that section several times before it dawned on me what you were referring to. Thank yo, I rearranged the clips so the red footed boobie comes up first. Chris, I did relatively little ib post. I have my XL-2 fine tuned to give me the color I like. Plus, it was all shot with a polorizing filter. I shot over 5 hours of video at the Galapagos and another two hours at Machu Picchu. I have not even started on that. The Galapagos Islands were truely a wonderful experiance, and our guide and professional protographer let you spend all the time you wanted setting up shots. Unfortunately, getting in and out of those pangas make it impossibly to carry a tripod so all shots were hand held. Bob
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:20 PM   #57
Major Player

Bob,
It is a fantastic wildlife you have for the long form.
So many animals in different situations and close ups.
I am looking forward to seeing the final version.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #58
Major Player

Hi Bob

I have really enjoyed watching all the strange and wonderful creatures that you found on your trip to the Galapagos! Really fascinating - especially watching some of their extraordinary strategies and behavior.
I agree with others - your film will go up a few more notches if you gave us a bit of background information to the place and to some of the habits and behavior of the more interesting species you managed to find.
Stunning place to visit.

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #59
Major Player

Wonderful piece Bob, you're talking us all on the journey - looking forward to the end result!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #60
Trustee

Hi all, here is my Final LongForm entry. Enjoy! Bob

Last edited by Bob Safay; November 29th, 2009 at 01:52 PM.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge