DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   BobSafay-Galapagos Islands-Long Form (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/143971-bobsafay-galapagos-islands-long-form.html)

Bob Safay February 17th, 2009 07:12 AM

BobSafay-Galapagos Islands-Long Form

Well I hope I am doing this right.

My entry will start with a shot of me looking out over a pond, dreaming of travel to far off places.

Switch to packing and getting ready to get on a plan

Fly to Equador and then to the Galapagos Islands

Ten days island hopping and videoing wildlife on the islands and trying to show that even in these remote areas extensive tourism is taking its toll.

The footage will include close ups of wildlife, native plants, and hopefully interviews with local tour guides and tourists talking about why they decided to visit the Galapagos and what the future may hold for these islands.

If time permits and I can find a way to draw it in I may include a short segment on Machu Picchu, which is also experiancing an influx of tourium and how it is efecting the area and culture.

And that is my plan. Bob Safay, sign up #16

Bryce Comer February 17th, 2009 12:42 PM

Hi Bob,
That all sounds really exciting. I like that you have a plan of what you will be shooting. One thing i have done is write a bit of script, since my project will have narration. If you plan on doing the same, maybe starting to write a script for your project would be a good idea. My script will definately change along the way & i still need to draw up a detailed shot list, but i have written into my script where particular shots will go. If i have a written shot list, when i do eventually get out with the camera, i will have something to refer to, to make sure i don't forget anything, & believe me, without it, i probably would!
Good luck with your project, it certainly sounds like an exciting place to base it on.
Regards,
Bryce

Marj Atkins February 18th, 2009 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Safay (Post 1013393)
Well I hope I am doing this right.

My entry will start with a shot of me looking out over a pond, dreaming of travel to far off places.

Switch to packing and getting ready to get on a plane

This has to be a dream movie to make Bob - sounds absolutely wonderful.

I was under the distinct impression that we had to submit a movie with this though even if it was just showing the preparations.

Look forward to this one for sure!

Marj Atkins February 18th, 2009 02:22 AM

Oops - sorry Bob - just realized you are probably waiting to upload your video onto the Uwol site.
Marj

Trond Saetre February 21st, 2009 01:54 AM

Bob, your video sounds like our most exotic project so far.
I can't wait to follow your project, and to see your finished video!
Go for it, and good luck!!

Per Johan Naesje February 22nd, 2009 02:33 AM

Bob,
this is a exciting plan! To me Galapagos Islands has been a dream to be able to go to for a long time. If I ever will only time will show. I will therefore look forward to watch your entry with excitement.

Good luck, Bob!

Geir Inge February 22nd, 2009 04:51 AM

Hi Bob.
What a way to go.
Galapagos Islands must be every wildlife film makers dream.
Can't wait to see your film :)
Just remember to bring with you enough batteries, etc.

All the best.
Geir Inge

Bob Safay February 22nd, 2009 04:25 PM

Thanks to you all. Since I am not going there until late may my video clip is about getting ready to go. Bob

Dale Guthormsen February 22nd, 2009 06:10 PM

Bob,

I really like the dream escape idea and carrying on from there!!! It would be great to show some footage of the same species from different islands showing the subtle differences that prompted "the Origin of species".

Can't wait to see your three minutes for a teaser.

Finn-Erik Faale February 24th, 2009 03:14 PM

I thought at first that your beginning was not much original.
When I looked at your video, I have reconsigned.
The beginning is fine and will give the right contrast to the exotic islands.
I will probably newer come to Galapagos, but I am waiting with excitement for your film from this dreamland.

Finn-Erik

Bryce Comer February 24th, 2009 10:53 PM

Hey Bob,
I just watched your film last night. Looks fantastic. I especially like all the graphics you used to show us exactly where you were going. You have created a sense of adventure in your first part, & i think this will ad volumes to your end film. You must be very excited about going to the Galapogos islands, i'm excited too, & can't wait to see your film from it.
Regards,
Bryce

Chris Swanberg February 25th, 2009 01:18 AM

While I am delighted that I have a better excuse to return "home" to Montana many times in the next 6 months due to this "challenge"...your adventure makes mine seem small and local in comparison. I'm delighted this is going to allow you to do what we all would love to do - visit Darwin's famed Galapogos Islands... Big(!) responsibility though, because now you have to take us all along with you in your filmmakers eye.

Do us proud Bob!

This should be fun.

Chris

ps. Fun "teaser".

Annie Haycock February 25th, 2009 04:32 AM

A great start to an adventure - wish I was going there too.

I think perhaps you needed an extra map in there to show that the Galapagos really is out in the middle of nowhere - then cut to the map just showing the islands themselves. And maybe a comment about going across a bigger pond than the one you were looking over at the beginning?

Mike Sims February 25th, 2009 09:48 PM

Bob,
You have a great start. I loved the UWOL plug while packing. I wonder how many of us paused playback when your equipment shot came up to ID each piece? As a zoologist, I like that you don’t seem to be overemphasizing the Charles Darwin angle. Most people have the impression that Darwin’s visit to Galapagos inspired his thinking about evolution. This is not so. He had been preoccupied by the twin problems of explaining the fossil record and explaining the diversity of organisms since he was a young student. Earlier in the Beagle voyage, while in Patagonia, he wrote notes for an article that was essentially the same rationally as the later publication. What he lacked at that time were concrete examples that most readers, those not versed in comparative anatomy, could readily see and believe. The visit to Galapagos provided those needed examples. The Galapagos Islands are very important to the history of human thought- just for a different reason than is generally accepted. How ironic that the people that seem most interested in stopping human destruction of the ecosystem form the core of those now over-loving this place to death. What a great story to tell.

Mihali Moore February 26th, 2009 07:10 AM

Great idea and really does lend to getting out and having an adventure. I'd love to go to the Galapagos and I hear they are limiting the number of people allowed there due to over tourism, so a great angle for the film.

P.S. I was at Machu Picchu last year and the amount of tourists there was staggering. It almost took away the wonder of the place itself. I recommend getting the early bus up to the site to catch the sunrise; it is less busy and looks amazing.