Siegel_Return of the White Birds_UWOLLongform - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #46
Trustee

Hi Steve:

You amaze me. I am always captivated by your filming. This is stunning and your narration keeps it very interesting. I am so impressed. My only comment, and it's personal preference only, is that I would have liked to have seen some cuts to wide view of the scenery as a relief from the intense close ups. That is it! You are a very talented wildlife documentarian.

All the best,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Steve,

You have a great story and some fine footage. A few of the shots you have the heads chopped. the one where you have a chopped image and the immediately after it you have a head shot of its red face that is perfect. I'd skip the first shot.

I liked the voice over alot!!

Must have been a great trip. See any peales peregrines? Puffins are a primary food source for them!!
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #48
Major Player

Hi Dale,
I have to blame Exposure room for the cut off heads. The uploaded footage was not that way. I didn't see any raptors on the island at all, except for one Pomarine Jaeger.
I'm not familiar with Peale's Peregrine, but I suppose the Island could support a pair or two.
The highest point on St. Paul is a large rise that would be accessible to mammals (ie Arctic Fox). There may not be suitable nesting sites for a falcon there.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 04:26 AM   #49
Trustee

Steve

A really well produced piece of work. It flowed nicely from sequence to sequence, it set up the story well and there were some interesting facts and nice narrated observations. - There are a few shots I would cut/edit due to shake/exposure or length but on the whole the photography was great and had a good mix of shots. - On the whole I thought the narration was well written and delivered, you have a nice tone and flow. Occasionally though it fell into more of a childs doc with some of the observations/quips, not that much and not that often but I did feel it a couple of times - I can point these out if you'd like.

A well produced, very watchable piece that I think will a bit more cutting/production value would stand up to broadcast! - One thing though fella, how does it fit into your previous sections....or have you changed direction? (sorry if I've missed something in your postings on this)
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM   #50
Trustee

Steve,
an amazing piece you show us here. Second what others commenting already.

This bird cliff reminds me very much about Runde, the southern most bird cliff in Norway. Very much the same species there too.

Looking very much forward to your next installment about camoflace.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:12 AM   #51
Trustee

Hi Steve.

Well we got similar locations in this contest, I think.
Different approaches though, and that's not so bad :)
I think you cover more species than I and also some species not seen at Runde island.
The puffins for instance. I've got one kind of puffins, you've got 3 and they are just wonderful to watch. The flight at sea, I think it's The Little Auk, or Dovekie (Alle alle). It's awesome. May I ask how you got such a smooth and fine shot? Because I guess it's in a boat out on the open sea?
One more question, about filming in rough sea. What do you use to protect your camera from the salty sea water? I think this is quite a problem at times. Even when it's almost calm, there's always some salt sea water in the air.
Ok, that's all for now.

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:15 AM   #52
Major Player

Hi Geir,
I agree with you. Shooting from a boat, even in calm seas, is almost impossible. I never do it, partly because, like you, I am afraid of salt damage to the equipment. These shots were made on a tripod at the edge of the nesting cliff. The birds fly by all day quite close in, and at elevations that make it look like you are close to the water.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM   #53
Major Player

Steve...

This was a very watchable film - both from an interest perepctive and a leanring one as well. I watched it several times... first from a filming perspective... and felt the images were well captured, crisp and nice.

The editing was instrictive. It felt as if there never was an edit, just a flowing story. This film is one I will save and watch as I progress in my craft.

Having just struggled with sound (4 channels to mix and meld together) I listened once without a picture... just to listen to the mix. I thought it was perfect... save one minor time when the music peaked and competed with your excellent VO.

This competes with broadcast stuff easily.

I agree with Cat that throwing in some wider shots might have been relieving, but as it was I think this was a stellar production - and, is the case with so many other more advanced film-makers here displaying their talents, one I will continue to learn from.

Masterfully done.

Chris Swanberg

ps. Your VO script was delightful by the way. I'd enjoy hearing about how you put it together.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:10 AM   #54
Trustee

Hi Steve,
Wow what a beautiful piece. As others have already said, your VO was fantastic, & the shots you had following the birds in flight were awesome. I agree that the wing snap is a problem, but as you have said, unless you can expose it properly without going to a higher shutter speed this will always be a problem.
I can't wait to see your next installment this is really getting exciting to see all these films coming together like they are!
Bryce
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #55
Major Player

Steve I was so engaged by your story that I didn’t notice the mistakes - so just as well there are others here who are more observant!

You have a delightful turn of phrase and have managed to turn what is really just a pageant of birds into something quite spectacular.

Oh - and what a pageant! I don’t think we have seen on Uwol such an amazing collection of birds from one place at one time as here - we are so privileged to be able to see this and I am sure it must have been the experience of a lifetime for you.

This film is working out really well.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #56
Major Player

Well, here is the last round. My story line is still a bit loose, but the nature of the material, and the fact that it was drawn from places thousands of miles from each other are not conducive to tight story telling. So I just went with the flow and had fun with it. I changed the name of the piece to “Miles To Go Before They Sleep”, twisting a line from a favorite poem by Robert Frost.
This fourth installment is an attempt to summarize the whole video in 5 minutes, and hopefully to keep everyone’s interest. I apologize for the fact that it is in a 4:3 format. I am still struggling with finding codecs that will allow combination of 16:9 HD footage and audio that will play, in a PC environment with files that don’t take hours to upload. Vimeo compresses everything to 4:3, and there is a deadline, so…
Anyway, here is a link.

Old October 13th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #57
Trustee

Steve:

I think you are so very talented. You are a natural for narrating, not only in your voice but how you say things. It just flows and is always interesting. Then comes your filming and all that you have been able to knit and weave into your subject matter. I think it is very difficult to cover so much ground, both physically and topically and make it all seem like a natural fit. But this is what you so aptly do. You and Chris both have done well with the Ken Burns effect with stills. This is quite an entry.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #58
Major Player

Here is the video in its proper 16:9 format.
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #59
Major Player

Steve,
Your long form #4 is a pleasure to see. I am fascinated by the swans flying in slow motion. Scenes of flying birds against colored skies are attractive.
The "Ken Burns" are also well done.
You have great material for the final long form video.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #60
Major Player

Steve- I like the new title. I think you’ve come up with a good formula for weaving the segments into an interesting story line. I can’t wait to watch the finished piece next month. Good luck!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge