Naesje_Nordic_Wildlife_UWOLLongForm 09 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 19th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #31
Trustee

Chris: Thanks a lot for your kind comments.
Yes, it's seem that we are the only one, standing on both side of the camera! Actually, I didn't have so much footage this time, so it was essential for me to do it this way. On the other hand I'm glad I did, because this was a good experience and I'm thinking of using myself more in the finished film.
For sound capture I use a wireless Sennheiser ew100 G2, when I do the talking head stuff. In fact I also use it for doing the narrating. I found that it's much more easy for me to talk if I can walk freely holding the manuscript. I record to my camcorder and then capture as regular footage in to the Mac.
The wisper in the blind was in fact ADR. I used my tiny Canon HV-10 for most of the "behind the scenes" footage this time. And the microphone is not of any good. You can hear it in some of the sequences where Ole Arne is talking. So I have to figure out a way of doing better sound recording when using the HV-10, because it don't have any external microphone connection!

Mat: Thanks a lot for your comment. I always appreciate your comment, because you are giving me some new ideas how to improve my stuff. Please keep on doing it!
I have been rethinking my script several times now. But I think I have made up my mind how to make this into a more worth seeing piece (for non-wildlife viewers too!). Hopefully I can present more in the next round.

Rob: Thanks for your comment and suggestions. I will think about doing some more timelaps. In fact I'm time-lapsing some stuff for uwol-13, stay tuned!
Please give me a note if you planning to come to Norway. If possible we could meet and have a chat!
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Per,

Your submission made me smile a lot. Despite your frustration it had a very light hearted feel to it which worked very well.

As usual shot very nicely and it had a good pace to it. It was great that you got the pay off shot of the bird at the end. Made the piece.

Looking forward to more adventures.
Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM   #33
Major Player

Hello Per,
Good shooting, as usual. I especially enjoyed your footage of Ole Arne this time. He is just what you expect a wildlife photographer to be. I was a little confused, however as after he put up the blind, you were the one in it, or did I miss a transition somewhere?
It's a shame you missed the Capercaillie. I hope you got some of the other birds that were singing right in the area. They may be small, but for your international audience they would be very interesting.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:38 AM   #34
Trustee

Mihali: Thanks a lot for you kind comments. Even the endless hours of waiting in the blind I had the glimpse in my eyes. Glad you saw it!

Steve: Thanks so much for your comments. I had to do the switch between me and Ole Arne because I haven't done the "inside the hide" scenes with Ole Arne yet. We are going to do this later in the project.
Hopefully I will get time for some small birds too. But I have realised that I maybe in some lack of time to get all the footage I want.
Right now I'm rewriting my script a bit - only time will show how this comes out in the end!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:08 AM   #35
Trustee

Hi Per,
As usual, another great piece from you. Sounds like your story is starting to take shape. I really like the way you have put together an interesting story with so little footage of your quarry. You really built things up to the point where you finally got some footage of your bird. The light hearted feel to this was really nice to watch, even though i would imagine (and as you said yourself) you were very frustrated after so much time spent for so little footage. I loved the footage from inside the blind as i think it adds so much to the story, showing what you go through to get the footage you get. Not sure if it was a problem with the encoding for the vimeo clip, but it looked like the audio was out of sinc at one point. I really look forward to seeing more when you finally get the footage in the can!
Regards,
Bryce
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #36
Major Player

The country you explore reminds me of the Sierra Nevada mountains where I live. You really know how to capture the wilderness beautifully, I need to take some lessons from you. As always you produced a fun and visually pleasing film. I thought the lighting you used in the blind was great and the shots of the photographer hiking were inspiring and made me want to go out and shoot some hiking scenes for my movie based on your camera angles.

Great job
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #37
Trustee

Hi Per:

You never cease to entertain the viewer, even in times of epic frustration! This was light hearted and fun, even though we can somewhat sympathize with your pain (I don't think many of us spend the time and effort in the wild as you do)! I think you are becoming quite skillful and creative in your transitions.

All the very best to you and Ola the next stint of filming. You both are masters at what you do. I hope your subjects will be more cooperative this next time. Per, this was still a fun film to watch! Your efforts show!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #38
Trustee

Hi Per.
You maid me laugh with this one :)
I'm sure you will come up with something great in the end, you always do.
Sitting there waiting for the mating game that never happened, and then you made a story of it, after all. Thats great film making my friend.
Can't wait to see your part 3.

Geir Inge
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #39
Trustee

Nordic Wildlife Round 3

Ok, here is my entry for round 3 of the LF Challenge.

As I said, this round is first of all to keep me in to the challenge. I haven´t got shot any aimed for the LF for the last 2 months and therefore this entry is most of all showing what kind of gear I´m using. I´m also telling you about my experiences to get good wildlife footage.

The next couple of month will therefore be very important getting enough footage to complete this challenge!

Link to the film on Vimeo:
UWOL Long Form 09 - Part 3 on Vimeo

Enjoy!
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #40
Trustee

Hi PJ.
Thank you for sharing your experience the way you do.
I feel privileged because I'm so lucky I have had the chance to meet you in person, and see you in action. Both at Runde island and Kvamsoy island.
I think you are a perfectionist and that's why your videos are so great.
I know you are spending a lot of time in the wilderness to get exactly the right shot, and I think it pays back.
In this video you show us your technics and how you work in the field, great stuff my friend. Looking forward to your next video :)

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #41
Major Player

Per Johan- What a great idea! Perhaps at the end we should all shoot a short version of this and show what we’ve been using. I found it very helpful, but as usual, it generated even more questions from me:
1) I’ve been looking at Miller tripods lately. Is that an Arrow 25 or 40? I appreciate your “vanilla smooth” pans because mine are so “chunky chocolate”.
2) I had just decided on a ProAm crane- and there you have one! With the XL H1 do you recommend the upgrade bearing kit “for heavy cameras”?
3) The interval and exposure data for time lapse is much appreciated. Do you always use manual shutter, or sometimes shutter priority?
4) In the studio, you use a Mac I think? I don’t, but I’m interested in whether you encode for the web from the editing software or use another like Sorenson Squeeze? If so, what type of file do you render from the timeline to take into the other software?

Sorry about so many questions. I’m trying to learn so I can improve.
Thank-you!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #42
Wrangler

Great stuff, Per Johan! Thanks for sharing. Like Mike, it brought questions to mind, only one of which I will ask.

The crane shot at the river in full sunlight: I was trying so hard to see around you to find out if you were using some kind of monitor or pulling my trick of shooting blind. :) Do you carry a monitor and sun shield in that backpack with you?
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Per Johan,

thank you so much for sharing your techniques and gear that you use. you have a couple real nuggets in there!!!

Your work is always an inspiration for me, gives me a push to get and get more practice in.

which crane are you using?
Old August 14th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #44
Trustee

Per, that was great, I loved it. In addition to being a great videographer and story teller, you are also a fantastic teacher. Thank you. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #45
Trustee

Hi and thanks so much for all nice comments. I´m still in the mountains, so I will have no time to answer your questions before monday, when I´m back home.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge