Thompson - ?!Gardens!? - UWOL long form - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #31
Trustee

Mat, wow your really raise the bar here! Fantastic macro footage.

You inspire me to try out more macro work myself.

I have a comment to the interview at the end - you might not plan to use it in this way in your end piece? I would have seen both close-up and wide shot of the lady, instead of regular cross-dissolves between the cuts.
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #32
Trustee

Hey Mat, you really out did yourself with this one. As a former entomologist the macro of the moth and the stag beetle had me rivited to the screen. Can you send me some info on the doc your doing on the stag? One comment, the interview in the end could use a retake. The heavy shadowes on her face was a bit distracting (actually, I have to go reshoot an interview I did for another project because of the same reason). This time I am going to use a reflector and small fill light. You must have one heck of a garden. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Mat,

What fantastic Macro work!! what are you shooting with????!!!

I can't wait to see the finished product in November.

Not much to say other than fabulous starts!
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #34
Trustee

Mike - Just a little Sony HC1 fella. A great little camera that is basically the same as the A1. I light with a battery powered 130LED cluster security light I rigged two a little tripod. It works well....but unfortunately started to die towards the end of the hedgehogs sequence.

Finn Erik - The stags are pussy cats really. Well mannered and there mandibles are not really capeable of anything more than a slight nip.

Cat - Many thanks

Per and Bob - Yes I do plan to re-shoot that interview. The sun was in and out every couple of miuntes and it was very tricky to shoot! Per - I think I may zoom in on some questions to add some variation. Thanks

Bob - What info would you like fella ? - The film is mostly shot now but mostly uncaptured. Its 80% written and my plan is to finish by February time. I'm trying to film eggs hatching and timelapse of Larvae > Pupal shed - Then larval feeding and the lifecycle is more or less there.

Dale - Many thanks - JVC hd110 + an 30 year old nikkor ! - it cost £50 and its dynamite!

Last edited by Mat Thompson; August 21st, 2009 at 06:52 AM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:32 AM   #35
Trustee

Hi Mat. I'm in late as usual :)
But better late than never, huh? I just can't wait to see your final version.
One question about your timeschedule:
... my plan is to finish by February time, you say. Am I reading you right when you say you will work on this project after the UFL deadline? Because my change of plan has to do with the shots I'm missing :) I wont be able to shoot'em untill next season.
Still I can see the shape of your final film and I think it's worth waiting for, my friend.
About the interview, my opinion is that it's almost always a good thing to mix in with some cutaways from the area (garden). The disolve in the middle of the interview gave it a sense of "time passing" if you know what I meen. Nothing wrong with it, it just show like there is a jump in time. I kind of like those things.

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:38 AM   #36
Trustee

Geir, many thanks for you response - This text refers to my film on the stag beetle, not the Gardens doc. > Its 80% written and my plan is to finish by February time. I'm trying to film eggs hatching and timelapse of Larvae > Pupal shed - Then larval feeding and the lifecycle is more or less there.

I agree though there is stuff now I'm planning as an extension of my Gardens film (into the following year) but I will still aim to get a finish cut done for uwol !
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:55 AM   #37
Trustee

Wow Mat,
You have some incredible footage indeed! As soon as i stared watching it i wanted to start writing my praise for what i was watching.
I'm sure by now that your worries about whether or not this would be a good topic for this long form challenge are now laid to rest, as i see this film as being very important to the endangered species you are covering, & what people can do in their own backyards to help.
I can't wait to see your final film, i'm sure it will be absolutely incredible!
Bryce
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:14 AM   #38
Major Player

Hi Mat

Have to agree with Per - you are certainly raising the bar for all of us this round! Beautiful work. Really appreciated the rich light and colours in the details of the different species Your blacks are pretty pressed. This enhances the colour although you are losing quite a bit of detail in your shadows. Your Hawk moth macro work is stunning - can't wait to see the slow mo.

Your interviewee is very collected, co-herent and easy to listen to. If you are going to redo your interview perhaps she could also vary her hand positions slightly during the interview instead of maintaining the same fairly tight pose throughout. The hint of a smile every so often wouldn't go amiss either. Although this is purely my own personal feeling I would also suggest that she tone down her outfit a notch - this outfit is very feminine and attractive but somehow a little out of place in this context where we are meant to be listening to her more than looking at her if you understand my meaning.

Your film is beginning to take shape really nicely - looks like we are in for a real treat with this one!
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM   #39
Trustee

Hey guys.

Well I thought I'd post a quick message and let know why I've not posted an update. - The day before the deadline my computer OS build corrupted and I had to fully re-build it. Following that I had mucho codec issues and its taken me until now to fully resolve. - (Something about Vista 64bit and mpeg2) causing freezes and crashes in Premiere. Highly annoying!!

Anyway....i now seem to have resolved my codec gremlins and will be uploading shortly. Sorry for the delay

phew :-/
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:27 AM   #40
Major Player

Hi Mat! I’m glad you made it. Those problems sound terribly frustrating. Good job you got them sorted. I’m looking forward to watching your entry.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:45 PM   #41
Trustee

Hey guys

Ok then - Heres a link to my Phase 4 footage.

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/longfor...ULF_phase4.wmv - I will be uploading an mp4 or other 'legal' format once I get all my software back up and running!

I was hoping to have started cutting full sequences by this point but I havent managed it unfortunately. That said I'm pleased with what I have down. I have also now written 90% of the script so editing and structure should be much easier. It has made me realise however that I have holes that I probably will struggle to fill by the deadline. I now have bigger plans for the piece so how I tackle this for the longform I'm yet to decide!

My final piece is looking more like 40mins + rather than the 20mins I was aiming for :-/ !
Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM   #42
Major Player

Mat- This is well worth waiting for. I can’t offer any constructive criticism, so I hope you don’t mind me using it as an opportunity to learn. If I may ask a couple of questions- How was the honey bee sequence lit? Also, were the underwater scenes shot in aquaria or underwater and how were they lit? Thank-you. Best of luck getting your remaining shots and fingers crossed for no more computer problems!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Mat,

Your footage is amazing!!! Is it posted as 1280x720?? It looks like uncompressed hdv to me. if so how do you do that?

the underwater footage is amazing!!! so clear. when it is warm here everything has algea and that makes it almost impossible.

finished should be fantastic.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM   #44
Trustee

Hey Mat:

No question you have mastered micro and macro filming to its best. Under water or Over Land, you are equipped to spell bind us all with your abilities. Your use and manipulation of light in all shots is exceptional.

Unfortunately, your works in progress entries give us nothing to go on as to storyboard, content, organization and the like so it's impossible to give feedback. I'm thrilled you are nearly complete with the script writing and I expect that in a month the Mat Thompson 40 minute documentary will stun us all. I'm just sorry we couldn't have been a part of the process!

A few months ago, I received an e-newsletter from a local nursery and the writer described that planting a specific flower in her garden this year brought in humming birds for the first time. The letter seemed to follow the track you are on as to how we can invite wildlife into our backyards by planting various different things. I thought of you when I read this.

Remember your first entry shots? It showed a cold, gray and wet wintry backyard. What a difference a few months make! English gardens are so vibrant and wildly beautiful. I do wish I lived in an environment that supports that kind of splendor.

All the best for your continued plans for this documentary. Even by viewing disconnected snippets here and there, you have significantly raised my awareness as to what I can be doing to live with a positive impact on my natural surroundings.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #45
Major Player

Hi Mat,
I certainly can't make any suggestions. Your technique is just too good. I was surprised to see the same Red Admiral and Painted Lady that we have here in a British Garden. I hope that your final film encourages people to plant gardens where ever they can. It's work, but so worth it.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge