Moore - Wild London - Long Form - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 16th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #31
Major Player

I am surprised to se exotic animals in London. Your video is so well made - colours, cuts, sound and narrating. It is a pleasure to look at your short video.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #32
Trustee

Hi Mihali.
Can't say other than I'm looking more and more forward to see your final product :)
I can not find much to complain about in your video, but just one question though.
Would it be an idea to slow down, just a little bit of your narration speed?
It's not a big issue, but I have tried to look at other wildlife videos/films/programs an it seems like the speed of your narration is a bit too fast? The reason I'm telling this is as follow;
Some mounths ago I got a mail from a famous norwegian wildlife videomaker Arne Nevra
giving me comments/advice to one of my videos, it goes like this;
When it comes to narration, try to speak not too fast, but rather slow down a bit.
often; less is more. Hear me right, he said, there's nothing wrong with your voice or nothing like that at all, but this way the viewer will get a more harmonic feeling about the whole video.
So now I'm giving his advice, not only to you Mihali, but to all of the readers of Uwol :)

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #33
Trustee

Hi Mihali:

This is really an intriguing film, and your superior filming skills contrast the wild and the city exceptionally well.

You mentioned you still weren't sure how to tie everything together, and Mike's comment about wanting to see a map of these places gave me an idea. One way to tie everything together is to show progress along a road map to the various places you film to show all that is surprisingly wild in the urban settings.

Just a thought,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #34
Major Player

Words escape me. Gorgeous photography, interesting pacing and subject matter- well edited! The shots of the populated areas properly set a tone of a frenetic pace and lots of people, an interesting contrast to the nature shots.

I hadn't been put off by the narration pace, but on a second look, think it might be a little slower to your benefit, as suggested.

"Comments": The rack focus on the pelican shot was a little delayed, I'd have preferred it to happen a little sooner. The zoom on the turtle was a little overly long without a clear subject. Those are my only "critical comments".

Overall I have to say it was a very professional piece. I will be anxious to see more. Thank you!

Chris Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #35
Trustee

Mihali,
your entry are more and more pleasant to watch! Truly unbelievable that London has so diverse wildlife!
Narrating is very nice to listen to.

I have a comment to your footage: Some seem a bit bleach, like the macro shots around 1:00.
I´m not sure which editing suite you working in, but adjusting levels - black and whites, would definitive enhanced the quality of your sequence alot!

I´m looking very well forward to your finished piece, Mihali!
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #36
Major Player

Hi Mihali - Apologies for not getting to your film last round.
You have a concept here with a lot of potential and you are laying down a good foundation for the final story. I was fascinated to see the different species you have managed to collect so far. Like everyone else I am intrigued by the behaviour of the owlet - irresistibly cute.
You have managed to show some of the contrast that exists between the busy city and the tranquility found in the green spaces, even though you can still hear people and traffic there. I know you want to give an overview of the places where wildlife can be found in London but am thinking you could strengthen your story more by using that contrast - perhaps even adding a bit of conflict by looking to see how the city impacts the lives of these species - something along the lines of Rob’s Badger story. Will you be visiting private gardens as well - or just the main city parks? Will you be tackling the city at night? Hope so.
Your narration was very nice. Not sure if you are intending to change things here but it would be better if you showed a shot of one of the Pelicans (not the Heron) when describing the tricks that some can get up to.
Looking forward to your next round.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge