Moore - Wild London - Long Form at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Moore - Wild London - Long Form

Hi all,

The short of it is I still am not sure what my film is going to be about.

I originally wanted to do a piece about the wildlife found at Pegwell Bay over the year, an important costal area in Kent that attracts many birds - both migrants and residents. However as I was procrastinating round Christmas time my car blew up; which meant I couldn’t access the site. (Still haven’t got round to getting a new one) I then thought maybe I could do a similar thing with the Wetlands Centre in London which I can get to with public transport, but I am not convinced that the idea and locations carry a particularly good story.

I also haven’t had a camera for the last month, so have not been able to film any new footage.

So….what I have done is cobbled some unused rushes from my last UWOL film, as well as some footage I took last year at the Wetlands centre (none of it particularly great and unlikely to be used) and am suggesting I make a film about good places to see wildlife in London. Not only does this mean I can access various locations easily, but I can plan shoot days around my work schedule. This is a last minute idea and I am not even sure if I will go ahead with it.

"Wild London will show that despite being a big nasty city, there are plenty of places to enjoy a variety of urban wildlife with hopefully some surprising characters."

Any thoughts most welcome….

....I’m off to buy a car.
Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #2
Trustee

Michael,
I think filming the "wild" of London is a very good plan. In fact I was thinking the same in my initial thoughts about my entry, to film the diverse wildlife of Oslo, the capital of Norway.
I found there is so much unknown (wildlife) taking place in the streets and parks of a big city.
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Mihali
London Wildlife Trust has 57 nature reserves across Greater London. For a list of nature reserves you could visit click
Our nature reserves

I film in many of the west London nature reserves.
I am in the wrapping up stage of a short film I started last year for my local natural history society, One of the filming problems has been the rain, large parts of the reserve have been under water on and off through the year
The short is shot around their small 80 acre nature reserve, this connects to another reserve run by London Wildlife Trust and connects to Denham Country Park so you have around 500+ acres to explore there is another site close by, that has Badger sets and there are three ancient oak woodlands so on this side of London you are spoilt for choice.
Just to add,
at the moment the Heron’s are fighting for prim positions in a big oak tree on the wildfowl lake, I counted ten Herons yesterday.
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi Mihali:

I like our idea! Wild London is an interesting take and worth exploring. By watching your film footage, you are most certainly keeping your options open, my what a diversity! What were the birds near the end flying unto the holes in the rock? Purple Martins? Swifts or Swallows? That was cool.

All the best on your film!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:30 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Mihali.
Filming the wildlife in London must be great and a bit of a task.
I have seen some TV programs on Animal Planet, about the wildlife in London (and other city's). Owls in towers, foxes in the backyard, deer in the park, etc. I think it's called "Wildlife Aid", or something similar.
An exiting plan you have and I'm looking forward to see your film.

Geir Inge

Last edited by Geir Inge; February 22nd, 2009 at 04:47 AM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:02 AM   #6
Trustee

HI Mihali,
What a great idea! It's amazing how wildlife seems to be able to live in our man made urban jungles. Ok, maybe not the diversity of places outside of the big cities, but still, some species seem to thrive! Great idea to bring this to everyones attention, i think it will have many shaking their heads in amazement at what is actually out there. I recently watched a program showing the large numbers of coyotes in an around Vancouver, & was amazed to see how these animals not only survive but seem to have adapted to their new environment.
Good luck with your project, i can't wait to see it.
Regards,
Bryce
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:25 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Good Morning!!

I think this would be an awesome idea!! All of the large cosmopolitan centers have huge quanities of wildlife, many of which the normal person never even sees!!! NO that doesn't mean we arre all Abby Normals, just most people just do not look!! Certainly broken down into season you could have Residents and visitors, etc.

I encourage you to get out and get at it!!! Having a car would be an asset too!!!
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for all your comments. I was a little worried that my idea was not exotic or adventurous enough, but your feedback has given me more impetus to get out there and follow it up.

Ron - out of interest which nature reserve has that badger sett? I'd love to feature some of those critters

Cat - They were sand martins featured at the end of my footage.
Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #9
Major Player

Mihali,
Under trying conditions I think you’ve got an idea that may just have a life well beyond the UWOL Challenge! Two years ago I finished a project called “Birding San Antonio” that featured cameos of most of our local birding hotspots. After it came out on DVD I assigned copyrights to my local Audubon Society. They were able to sell the discs for income and give them away as premiums for new members. I was surprised by how much interest it generated in our (relatively) small and small-minded town. I can’t help but believe that a programe about all wildlife in such a populous and interesting city as London will be very well received. Your footage is very appealing. I can’t wait to see what you come up with through the year. Best of luck. (Sorry about your car.)
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Mihali, as somone who commutes in from berkshire most days to the city, I can really see the appeal of what you're planning. Even in the city I'm often amazed, I saw a red kite cirlcling high over moorgate a month ago, and last year I checked out the pergrines breeding at the tate modern - that was a shock! Sooo much there to discover, really looking forwards to seeing what you have in store!!

Cheers,

Rob
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:28 AM   #11
Major Player

After your winning "A Walk in the Park" the expectation for your long form film is high.
I am looking forward to see more of the rich wildlife in London.

Finn-Erik
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM   #12
Major Player

You seem to have the perfect opportunity for showing that outdoors doesn't have to mean out-of-town. Good luck
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #13
Trustee

Hi Mihali

I think this is a very strong concept with lots of potential. I think its perfect for this challenge and will create a very interesting overview for anyone thinking about going out to see wildlife in greater London.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you produce when you start shooting.

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Mihali
Some very nice footage - you have a talent for capturing light beautifully.

Your concept certainly has potential and is definitely worthwhile pursuing. I must say I would enjoy doing this topic as I enjoy exploring subjects where the regular straight lines and geometric shapes of man-made objects are juxtaposed with the natural shapes of the creatures that use them - just another view of the world of wildlife.

Will be interested to see what you manage to find in and around London.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Moore Wild London - Deadline 2

Hello all,

I have unfortunately not done nearly as much filming as I would have liked to, but have managed to put a couple of rough sequences together to give you an idea of what I am trying to achieve. I haven't narrated it or put down any music, it's more of an idea of the shots I've got thus far.

The first is of a family of Tawny Owls found in a large park in the middle of London. The breeding adults have been there for years and they are becoming a bit of a celebrity. The second sequence is of some Grey Wagtails living by a river at the edge of a Nature reserve in west London. They are usually only found near fast flowing streams, but seem to have adapted to this urban stretch.

After researching various locations, I'm aiming to show many different species including: Kestrels, Pelicans, Kingfishers, Herons, Deer, Bats, Foxes, Water Voles & Stag Beetles. But, I am still not sure how to stitch it all together. I think the majority of the locations are going to be the big parks and nature reserves and I will have to have some sort of narration. I think I also need to feature more of the urban environment, ideally as a backdrop to the action. (Traffic, people, timelapses etc) Any thoughts most welcome.

Cheers.

Link to HD version on VIMEO: UWOL Long Form (Deadline 2) - Wild London on Vimeo
Mihali Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge