Russell_RMNP_LongForm - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 15th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post

My film will be organized as if you were reading a book. You know, the large $70.00 picture book that sits on your coffee table? The cover will open and pages will turn to new chapters. I'm thinking of calling it: Rocky Mountain National Park: Psalms From the Hills, or something like that. Each chapter is a new segment in my film with different music selections for each chapter. The chapter headings will each begin with an S word like: Sunrise, Splendor, Spring, Spirit and Soul, Sunset ... whatever is appropriate. Each chapter will begin with a quote from poems, Scripture, statements from individuals that have written about the Park .... whatever is powerful and appropriate for the chapter. So the rough draft of the segment I have submitted for this round will have the most narration of all the chapters because it introduces everyone to the Park. The rest of the chapters will have very little narrative as the clips put to music will speak for themselves.

So, what do you all think?
Cat
I’m really impressed. The quality of the map work is excellent and visually attractive and your explanation is very clear.

One thing that concerns me a little is how you are going to marry two very different approaches to the subject in one project. Having one chapter that is a fairly concentrated, factual documentary on the Park along the lines of your submission, and the rest that have a more aesthetic, poetic and inspirational approach may make you project a bit disjointed. I am wondering if it wouldn’t be better to go with one or the other or if you shouldn't perhaps combine the two approaches more equally - like start the chapters with the inspiration as you state but then follow through with some interesting facts.

If you go with the ‘S’ idea for your chapters then perhaps your title should also start with ‘S’ .
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:42 PM   #17
Trustee

Hi Marj!

You have been busy, judging by your recent posts! Thank you for your thorough input, I so appreciate it.

The theme of a book with chapters is the way this entry is turning out. The title is set: Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park -- Psalms From On High (sorry it doesn't start with an "S" but that's okay!)

As far as one chapter having a documentary style narration and the others not also doesn't seem to be a distraction for me. The first chapter is titled "Synopsis", so it lends to the documentary style and narration. The following chapters: Salute!, Staple, Splendid Spring, Sanctuary, Supplication, Benediction and Credits all speak for themselves with music and film!

I so appreciate your comments, because you are very talented and so very insightful, but this time, for better or for worse, I'm taking what I've started and running with it! And it is an adventure to say the least! I'm thrilled for this project. I live for it!

Sincerely,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Cat

I thought a lot about you this last weekend while we were staying at the Blyde River Canyon and later at a private game farm near Hoedspruit with its commanding views of the canyon mountains.

(The canyon is the third largest in the world after the Grand Canyon and the Fish River Canyon in neighboring Namibia and apparently the largest green canyon in the world. The mountain scenery is breathtaking - one of South Africa’s scenic crown jewels.)

Watching the early morning sunrise from a rocky outcrop and then later watching the sunset paint everything in glorious rosy hues was awesome to say the least. One can’t help feeling emotionally and spiritually enthralled - and overwhelmed by the sheer immensity of the mountains towering overhead and the mountainside tumbling down to where the water carves a path far below.

I think that when one has the vision and the inspiration and the enthusiasm for what one is creating it will certainly shine through so I have no doubt you will pull it off beautifully. After this weekend I think I have a far better appreciation for what you are doing and can pick up on your enthusiasm - I definitely look forward to seeing the final outcome!

Marj
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #19
Trustee

Marj:

I thought of you too earlier this week! I happened to notice in the local paper that the University of Colorado in Boulder is hosting a competition with the theme of showing the art in science and the science in art. I instantly thought of your entry topic dealing with the mathematics in nature. You are a shoe-in! Are you interested to find out more about it? I have no idea if internationals can enter, I can find out. I think you would clean up.

Let me know,

Cat
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #20
Major Player

Thanks Cat - sent you an email.
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #21
Trustee

Long Form Round 2 Start

Hi guys:

I have 11 minutes of material so brace yourselves! Here is the Vimeo link:

This link isn't available now, skip two feedback threads down for the current link, Thanks!

The slight intermittent pixilation on the right side of the video at the beginning is from the Vimeo compression.

I won't say much except that wildlife filming is becoming a real thrill, and a real patience builder. Now I'm beginning to have great respect for what you guys have been doing all along!

The line draw at the very beginning is NOT the stock market ;-) but a mountain, and at the end of the Synopsis chapter it's clear I don't have any moose footage... yet. Those guys are on the west side of the park and If I'm really fortunate, I'll be able to spy them this summer and catch them on film.

The bull elk I got my first attempt at filming in the park! A rare treat. The Big Horn, it took me 4 months to Finally run into them!

Rip away, (as Mat says). I already notice tweaks and changes I want to do but I'll keep my mouth shut and have you find them.

Excited for your entries.

Cat

Last edited by Catherine Russell; May 12th, 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #22
Major Player

Wow Cat... Really impressive work. The way you have blended the maps and topos and footage is nothing short of magnificent.

This round I am scrabbling to throw together a placeholder as my efforts begin later this month on site. Great work!
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #23
Trustee

Just a heads up. The Vimeo link is to a video that is 1/3 of full HD resolution. I finally have the full HD version ready to upload, but am checking with Vimeo first that I still maintain the weekly 500 mb allotment if one version is deleted and replaced by another.

Cat

O.K. Since it's quiet, the Vimeo link is going offline for awhile as I take down the lower res version and put the HD version to the Vimeo site. I'll repost the link when it's back up.

cheers

Here is the link to the HD version: http://www.vimeo.com/4612703

Cat

Last edited by Catherine Russell; May 12th, 2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #24
Major Player

Cat,

I am hugely impressed by the way you have integrated the graphics, book theme, and amazing footage. You have been busy this spring! I like the way you are taking the concept, and look forward to "reading" more chapters. Great work!

Ruth
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #25
Trustee

Hi Chris and Ruth:

Thanks so much for the watch. I very much appreciate it! I understand 11 minutes can be very hard to sit and churn through.

Thanks to Chris and Kevin, the movies are up on UWOL. The link here is:

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/longfor...FromOnHigh.mp4

I did a quick check and even though it is the small format, it has a smoother and more precise play back than the version on Vimeo. It's seems to be the better version to watch!

Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to what you all have been up to!

Cat
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #26
Trustee

Cat, how beautiful. It bought back so many memories. I worked in RMNP the summer of 1975. I think the idea of using a book is terrific. The graphics are quite impressive and the shots of the wildlife were just great, I can't wait to see the rest. One suggestion. In the scene with the two elks fighting, there is a lot of wind noise. You may want to think about muting that scene, and add in the sound of the antlers knocking each other. You can probably find a few old pair of antlers around and just rattle them together and capture the sound. Other than that it was sheer beauty to watch and remember. Thank you. Bob.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #27
Trustee

Hi Cat

It looks like I missed you in the last round of feedback for some reason but I guess I've got meat to chew on now!

Firstly I like the overall concept of using your picture book, I think it could be a nice packaging to introduce your fantastic subject matter. It might be nice to try and introduce a bit of conflict at the start of the story. Issues the park had in its origination/protection maybe!?

I think you need to add more dynamic to your graphics though. Use faster transitions and try and animate in some ease in/out to the movement, it will really help to make things look better. (If you need a hand with this, just drop me an email).

I like the writing and story in the first section, but I really think it needs to be intercut with video to tell some of it. You've introduced the book concept by this point, the viewer will have that. So don't be scared of sharp cuts away to video to illustrate points, its not going harm your concept.

The main book graphics needs some more thought to its layout I think. There is too much 'blank space' at the moment. The image should be bigger and don't feel the need to have all of the book on screen, the audience will have the concept by this point. Maybe you could get a perspective view on the book so most of what you see is titling and image of the page your featuring. I think you work in after effects, so this is possible and again if you need some help, just drop me an email.

Some of your footage could do with a tripod and a little more thought to where your light is but you have a great selection. OH how I'd love to have this place in 'my back yard' :-) I love the big horns, great species and I'd love to see more of them, especially the rut !

Great stuff Cat, I hope you are ok with my critique and keep up the good work!

Mat

Last edited by Mat Thompson; May 15th, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #28
Trustee

Hey Mat:

I am honored you are putting so much time and effort into your comments for my project. It might mean you think I am trainable and that there is still hope for me ;-).

Now, you have great insights and I will most definitely fire off an e-mail for details. First off, I had to smile a bit at your comment about using a tripod more... All footage was shot with a tripod!!! I have already expressed my woes to Rob that I am finding it difficult, I don't have freedom of movement and it seems to stick easily! It might be the tripod itself but it is brand new as a Christmas gift so I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but I know I need to make some adjustments on that. Any tips would help. Rob has also helped a lot.

I completely agree with you that in the first section that superficially describes the park, I can take much more advantage of adding film footage to back up the narrative. I plan to do this as I gain more access to the park to film. I so very much hope I can add moose footage to this chapter as well.

More dynamic in the book graphic is very insightful and I will mull this over a bit. I like the full book view for the page turning but otherwise, as long as people can read the text easily, it could be more fluid and in motion. Thanks Mat. I'll really take a hard look at this and see if I can come up with something that works.

I share your love for the Big Horns and I too hope to come across them in rutting season! It took 4 months to come across them this time around.

I'll be in touch. I'm thrilled for your insights. You are right, it's how we get better. Thanks!

Cat
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #29
Trustee

Cat - No problem at all. As I say every time I think these sessions are about critique and helping each other grow as film makers.

Your tripod setup sounds like it need some looking at. Whats the tripod/camera you are using?
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #30
Trustee

Hi Mat:

The camera is a JVC so it is small and light weight. The tripod says MX 2000 but I don't see a brand name... so I plead ignorant. The tripod seems to work fine without the camera on it (?).

Hi Bob:

I didn't want to neglect your comments either! Thank you friend for the watch and the kind words. That's neat that you worked in the park in '75, what a great job that must have been!

Now concerning the wind noise... it's not only the antlers but the bugling that I was so excited to share with everyone! For some reason, in this situation the wind noise didn't bother me... I thought it added to the feel of how chilly it was out there, near twilight, snow on the ground and a frigid wind. I'll consider what you say and see if others feel the wind takes away from the quality of the scene.

Keep the thoughts rolling guys!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge