Russell_RMNP_LongForm - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 21st, 2009, 09:19 AM   #76
Major Player

Well I think the chapter is exceptionally beautiful and spiritual anyway, even without your intended shots. Your benediction sequence more than makes up for it - spectacular shots and a very fitting finale!

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:00 AM   #77
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
all is well in my soul, well, I will have to learn that one on the old box!!! what is the actual name of the song?
Hi Dale:

That is the name of the song: It Is Well With My Soul, written over 100 years ago by Horatio Spafford and Philip Bliss. If you learn it on your guitar, I would love a video of it. I think it suits you.

The idea you had about the moon shot is food for thought!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM   #78
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
O.K. you guys:

Finn-Erik and Mike, you both comment on the cold colors of the dawn shot of the elk walking through the woods. I'm including a before and after image of my attempts at color correcting this. What do you guys think? Does the "after" color correction look natural enough?

Thanks for your help on this, and your expertise.

Cat

Catherine,
I like both pictures. The difference is that the last one fits better inn between the clips before and after. Mike has better words for it than me. In a longer sequence, I think, your first coloring mood might have the best effect.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:36 PM   #79
Trustee

Thanks Mike and Finn-Erik:

For what it's worth I'm leaving the blue-hued elk clip as is but switching it to the very beginning of the chapter 5 sequence. This way, nothing comes before it and the shot after is the moon in late afternoon sky so it's a blue to blue kind of change. I will replace the blue-hued elk shot (in the original position) with something warmer so it blends nicely between the before and after sequences. I know this is way too much detail for anyone to care, but it's time to put this to rest.

I thank everyone for your input, already it's making a BIG improvement on my film this round. What would I do without all of you?

Cat
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:22 AM   #80
Trustee

Hello all:

Now that it has come to the end I'm not sure what to say. I'm a bit tired and a little sad! A big thank you to Meryem and the UWOL community for giving us the opportunity to really stretch our perceived limits as filmmakers. I look forward to continuing on next year as many of us will be working on our films still.

I am satisfied with this entry, but consider it as a works in progress and hope to fill it out and perfect it next year. I also consider this film not as my own project, but one that was very much shaped by all of you. And because of this, I am sincerely grateful.

All the best everyone,

Cat
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM   #81
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
O.K. never mind,

If Dale can post his Vimeo video by embedding it and not think there is a problem with that, then I will too.

Thanks for any feedback.

Cat
Sorry for pulling the link, but this is incredibly frustrating. We're still sorting through entries and the game shouldn't start until we have a chance to do this. Not fair to all the players...you can re-post once these are linked to the UWOL website...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:13 AM   #82
Trustee

Good heavens Meryem!

That quote you just posted was for last round and posted on October 13th! And the context for that quote was concerning the surprise I had that the Vimeo video embedded in the DV Info thread instead of simply posting a link to the Vimeo site!

My thread for this round was posted about an hour ago and it did not have a link to a video. All it said was thank you and the best to everyone!

I'm a little surprised, you had to go way back to find that quote. I simply don't understand.

Cat
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:20 AM   #83
Trustee

I've had a moment to think about my quote Meryem posted in post #81 and, just for the record, I'd like to clear up more formally what the context of the quote was.

In the final works in progress round, we were posting our video links and I was surprised to see that the video embedded in the DV Info thread. If you look at my posts around October 13, when I was first putting up my thread, I was concerned that this was not appropriate that DV Info carry the load instead of simply a link and so I removed the link. I then fired off a post on Chris's entry and after commenting on his film, asked him about this and what we should do. He answered by saying it was the fist he's seen this and thought if that was how it was working now, then it should be O.K. to post this way.

By that time, others were posting their embedded videos and not worrying about it. This is when I followed suit with my post, saying that if Dale could post this way and not worry about it, then I would also.

I hope this clears up the context of the quote and hopefully any misunderstandings about it.

Post #80 applies to this final round, where no links to movies are given and is simply a well wish for all of our entries and a thank you to Meryem for hosting the challenge.

Meyrem, I'm sorry you've taken this wrong and it added to your frustration in hosting this forum.

Sincerely,

Cat
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:58 PM   #84
Wrangler

sorry, Cat - I just pulled all the links that from long form final that appeared as new in the forum...if I'm going to do this and don't do it fast, then everyone jumps on board first thing in the morning and thinks that, if the other guy is doing it, then it is fine. i shouldn't do these things before coffee, but that is the time that I have...

sorry if my trigger finger was a little sloppy on this one...
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #85
Trustee

Hi All:

The resolution isn't great on Vimeo, but here it is anyway. Best to all, Cat.

Old November 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #86
Inner Circle

Catherine, well done!!

What a spectacular landscape you have in your back yard.
Must be fun and a great experience hiking in those mountains.

The book theme works very well for your film, and I enjoyed watching it.
And the graphics... I need to learn more about After Effects for sure.

Thank you for sharing your part of the world. :)

-------
Opsie, I forgot there was the one big common feedback thread.
(but anyway, your film is great!)

Last edited by Trond Saetre; November 24th, 2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: forgot the big common feedback tread...
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:43 AM   #87
Wrangler

you should slice this puppy down to 22 minutes and see if you can get it on channel 5...i bet they would take it...
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:29 PM   #88
Major Player

Cat...

Speechless. Superlatives become trite. What a wonderful piece. Your voiceover, which you struggled with was now spot on. Your musical timing exquisite. The graphics...VERY professional.

Best of the best. I concur that if this met a time frame a station could use, it is easily broadcast quality.

WOW.

Chris S.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM   #89
Inner Circle

Cat,

I started with the uwol version, went back and found your vimeo link, well worth the wait!!!

I have to agree with everyone else here. Cut it down and get it broadcasted.

It is totally awesome.

At the end of it is well, with the chip monk standing staring into space I thought was perfect!!! A fitting end in its own right.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge