Russell_RMNP_LongForm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Trustee

Russell_RMNP_LongForm

Hi all:

Well, just submitted and just under the gun too. This entry is simply to maintain a toe-hold in the "competition".

Currently, there is a bill in our Senate (comprised of many bills) advancing through legislation to designate 2 million + acres over 9 states to wilderness. The Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado is slated for some of that. Since this is a topical issue at the moment, and the Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP) is in my back yard, my long form topic has turned to this amazing and rugged area.

This current entry simply gives some "map" and general info about the park. This will most likely be totally revamped or perhaps split up throughout the movie where appropriate. I apologize for the many imperfections... text that is not all that legible when squeezed to the small required format (I should have known better), imperfect narration and static, slow moving film.... makes you want to dive right in and watch, hugh?

But that being said, I have hope for this film! The Park is amazing, rugged, beautiful and hosts the flora and fauna that I hope to capture... to amaze and delight us all! The gem for me would be to catch a glimpse of the moose and the big horn sheep.... the likes I won't be able to attempt access until mid- to late-summer!

Thank you for inviting me into this community of experts. I am simply here to learn from the best.

In this entry, all the 3-d topography and animation credits go to my husband, Ed.

So far, my resources are from:

the Colorado State Map,
the National Geographic: Rocky Mountain National Park Road Guide, and
the Rocky Mountain National Park Dayhiker's Guide by Jerome Malitz
and various on-line resources including the National Park Service Glaciers of Rocky Mountain National Park at: Glaciers of Rocky Mountain National Park - Glacier Change

Looking forward to all of your contributions.

You all amaze and inspire me.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Trustee

O.K. Cut! What I said in the opening thread isn't exactly false but today is a new day and I have finally found inspiration for my film. Since there is an extended deadline, I've cleaned up my submission a little and will upload a revised version and provide a link soon.

My film will be organized as if you were reading a book. You know, the large $70.00 picture book that sits on your coffee table? The cover will open and pages will turn to new chapters. I'm thinking of calling it: Rocky Mountain National Park: Psalms From the Hills, or something like that. Each chapter is a new segment in my film with different music selections for each chapter. The chapter headings will each begin with an S word like: Sunrise, Splendor, Spring, Spirit and Soul, Sunset ... whatever is appropriate. Each chapter will begin with a quote from poems, Scripture, statements from individuals that have written about the Park .... whatever is powerful and appropriate for the chapter. So the rough draft of the segment I have submitted for this round will have the most narration of all the chapters because it introduces everyone to the Park. The rest of the chapters will have very little narrative as the clips put to music will speak for themselves.

So, what do you all think?

Cat

P.S. Watching all of your initial cuts have inspired and blown me away so readily that it was all of you that gave me the inspiration to change direction on my film. Thank goodness for this forum! I couldn't imagine doing this all alone.
Old February 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Sounds great Cat,
Can't wait to see your new footage for the revised film. So will the poems/scriptures etc be narrated or written? I would rather hear it narrated myself, but that's just my opinion.
Good luck with your new inspiration.
Bryce
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Cat...

I sat here watching your initial offering and found myself saying aloud... wow... wow... wow.

Knowing this is a "throw it in,stay in the game" phase, I cannot wait to see the intersperced shots you will add....and YES I WILL take you and your husband up on any animation help you might offer.

Impressive.

Chris S.

ps. I am a UC alum, btw. Go Buffs.
pps. Fractals ? You tickle my brain.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Catherine.
I think you have a great plot.
Your little intro film, how you used the map was great.
And then followed up with history and clips from the area.
This is how the pro's are doing it :)
Excuse me for being ignorant, but will we be seeing you climbing the Rocky Mountains?
It will be great though :)
I think I have a clip of you and your husband, climbing the mountains in one of your earlier uwol films. Was it something about a killer duck?
Well, according to your plan, I think your Long Form film is bound to be a killer :)

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Catherine,

I have looked at your film twice. It is very well done and informative. You have a clear voice and pronunciation, easy to understand for average Norwegians.
I think your book and poetry plan is a very good idea. I am longing for the first chapter.

Finn-Erik
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:16 AM   #7
Trustee

Cat, that's a very good "toe hold in" entry! Very informative and your voice was clear and easy to understand for a foreign visitor like me.
I think the map view was a bit too static and text too small and not easy to read. Remember the final version is going to be judged in this tiny fomat and I found that text and graphich must be made larger than I usually do. But you maybe already change that in your new version?
Can't wait to view some live footage from the park. Your description made me very eager to get a look of it!

Nice start, keep up your good work, Cat!
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:43 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi,

It is a really nice and interesting idea you have. Haven't had time to watch your or anyone else's videos, so I comment on your description only.

The concept with making the video as a book sounds promising. Lots of AE work again from you? :)

I look forward to see your finished video in November.
Good luck!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:35 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
I think the map view was a bit too static and text too small and not easy to read. Remember the final version is going to be judged in this tiny format and I found that text and graphich must be made larger than I usually do. But you maybe already change that in your new version?
Hi Per:

Yup! I addressed this very comment: text too small and the map too static. We're on the same page. Wow, at first I thought you might be making this comment about the "new" version and I was going to write back...."If you think this is bad, you should have seen how bad it was in the first version! HA!

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone! I'm getting excited for next round!

Cat
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:03 PM   #10
Trustee

Hi all:

I noticed a conversion error in my square mile to square km calculation in my narration. Rocky Mountain National Park is 911 square km, not 566 square km. I didn't square my conversion multiplier. Sorry! If I have time, I'll try and fix that and upload a new version in time for the Wednesday deadline. If it doesn't make it, it will be corrected for the next round.

Cat
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Wrangler

you are going to be the resident expert on this park before this is over, looking forward to learning more about where i live! good start.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM   #12
Trustee

Dang, i have just watched your film Cat, & you had me wishing that there was atleast a five minute limit on the amount of video to be submitted for this first part. You really had me wishing there was more! Great graphics! Can't wait to see the finished film.
Bryce
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:50 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Cat,

If anyone could pull of this idea you could!!!! I am always amazed at all the creativity on this list. I am beginning to think I don't have an ounce of that stuff!!

Look forward to seeing your upload!!!

It is a geat idea!!!
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Nice idea. The animation stuff looks great and I look forward to seeing some shots of the Rockys.
Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Cat,

This is a great opening to your film. I am really impressed by the graphics. I wish I'd had the time to join in the fun. I won't have time to comment on everything, but will definitely follow yours. Keep up the great work!

Ruth

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge