Rule #7 Rule #7 Rule #7!!! Post 3 minute footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Wrangler

Rule #7 Rule #7 Rule #7!!! Post 3 minute footage

Howdy players....

Some of you need to check the Long Form rules again, especially Rule #7 -- the footage uploads...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/uwol-chal...est-rules.html

Due to the confusion, the fact that this is new, and some technical glitches on our end, I will give those of you who did not post footage until *next* Wednesday, February 25, to post your 3 minutes. Some of you seem under the impression that the first round has no footage requirement - check again!

My goal is to keep players in this contest! Not drop them. But I'm also the gatekeeper of the rules, and it is you players who hold my feet to the fire, not the other way around. If you don't have something up by that time (y'all know who you are!), I will have to start dropping you from the competition...

...keeping in mind that you don't *need* the competition to make your film, it is just more fun this way!

This is a marathon, not a sprint, so there is no advantage to late postings, in fact, I would say quite the opposite is true. But I also have to keep everyone playing by the same rules. So get out there and shoot something!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Major Player

While I admit I was rushing here tonight to get my footage pasted together and edited and rendered to be posted by midnight (and think I would have made it in any event) I would be a fool not to take advantage of at least a portion of your kind offer Meryem and improve my offering. I'll have 3 minutes up in time to stay in! Thanks.

Chris S.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi all,
Sorry to the folks that have read the rules properly, unlike myself! I only saw that Meryem had pointed it out to Annie in her thread tonight. That had me panicking of course & i'm now just rendering a sequence of footage i have that shows some of the sort of things i will see along the way of my project. I will try to get it up before midnight, i only have one question. Can i simply post it on a site like Vimeo, or so i need to also submit it to the UWOL site?
Thanks in advance,
Bryce
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Major Player

Ok… I’m guilty!

I didn’t upload any ”new” photos in my thread… but I linked to the two film that I have film at the location that I will film the long form at. If that is not ok, I wild drop out. Too much going on right now for me so I don’t got any time to get out to the lake…
Throw me the flag if it’s not enough.

Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #5
Wrangler

Markus, you are fine..since I also said that you can use up to 3 minutes of prior UWOL footage. It's a bit of a backdoor and not exactly what I had in mind when I made that rule, but I'll allow it...at least, I know that you have generated footage that relates directly to the topic, and I'm more than ok with jumping off this project on the back of something that you already pre-conceived in a prior Challenge - it keeps with the spirit of UWOL as an ongoing process of your personal development as a producer/cinematographer.

But in general, if you're starting out this Challenge saying, "I can't" or "I won't" to the rules in the first round, it doesn't bode well for completing the process.

As I've said many times, no one needs UWOL to make their own films. UWOL is a community and a process, and participation has its rules. The players may enjoy the occasional bellyache, but at the end of the day, they like the trains to run on time, and that's the bulk of my job.

Bryce, you can post on Vimeo as well, but we also would like it uploaded to the site. We have some ideas for evolving the long-form and having as much stuff centrally located as possible will make a difference.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The extended deadline Meryem so kindly offered to us might save me.
Life has been so busy lately, I haven't had time to shoot any footage at all so far.
Might get a chance to shoot something this weekend... if not, I'm out of the long-form.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #7
Trustee

Well no luck in gettting my footage up for you guys to see. For some reason i can't get this sequence to render. I will keep trying as soon as i'm home from work tonight & hopefully will have something up then. Thank you so much Meryem for the extension on this. Without it, i would be in the shark tank.
Bryce
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Is there a new portal to upload the videos? All I can find is the previous one which still has no place to enter user name or password, and doesn't seem to upload anything.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #9
Regular Crew

hey I got in with the nick of time just wanted to make sure it was okay that is up here

braiiins.com/UWOL

jennie
Jennie Stenhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #10
Major Player

I may be a little premature here....if so so forgive me, but I have a premonition.

The first week in May, in my case at least, might as well be the first week in March.

The third submission is not until August, and for a lot of us Summer season does NOT start in early or even mid-May.

May I respectfully suggest a Mid June 2nd submission date?

Since this IS a first time....I think some "on the fly" flexibility may be in order... providing others agree with me?

Chris

ps. OtherS ? Or am I off base here ? I will go with the rules as decided and announced, but know that by the next date I won't have a lot more. My subject awakens on memorial day. (5/30/09)
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #11
Trustee

Hi Chris,
Well i see what you're saying & it does tend to make sense from a seasonal point of view. I would have no problem with your idea as long as everyone else agreed to the change, after all, we all entered based on the rules as they stood in the beginning, just some of us (namely me) got them wrong for the first submission!
Regards,
Bryce
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
Hi Chris,
I would have no problem with your idea as long as everyone else agreed to the change, after all, we all entered based on the rules as they stood in the beginning...
Bryce
And I don't want to sound like a whiner....I can cobble up an additional selection of stills, and probably throw in some odd archival photo here and there maybe add some VO...and stay in... it was just as I was thinking about this that the thought occurred to me that perhaps others faced the same seasonal challenges I have...but, that said, you are right. I knew what I was expected to do when I entered. I just want each time I post footage to be closer to the final product, and sadly, in early May that's just not likely for me.

Chris
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #13
Trustee

Hi Chris,
Please don't get me wrong, i'm not against your idea. Maybe a couple of weeks would be of benefit. That would certainly get us some time to shoot some footage in spring. For me it shouldn't be too much of a problem as i will be doing a lot of filming in the snow anyway so should (hopefully) have some footage to show. It will probably be a bit early for any spring time footage as my subjects will still be high up in the mountains where spring comes late. I am still refining my script too & i'm hoping to reveal more of that for the next submission.
Regards,
Bryce
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
Hi Chris,
Maybe a couple of weeks would be of benefit.

I'm greedy, I was looking for more like 4 or 5. (grin)
Old March 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #15
Major Player

Ok... having reflected on this for the past week.... and aided by the sound of crickets in this thread <g>, I... a) apologize for making the request, and, b) shall comport myself by the rules announced prior to my entry and known by me when I entered.

I'll have something by the 2nd deadline.

sheepishly,

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge