Hunting The Hard Way, Long Form - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:23 PM   #46
Major Player

Dale.... I think you can relax. With you, as is often the case, folks deeply involved with wildlife in any fashion are it's best defenders.

In an interesting sidebar, my separate tale about Glacier Park will show that hunting interests may have, in that case, played a very important role in preserving the habitat and making it a national park.

I appreciated your reply, and also understand Mat's expressed concerns, which I am sure you have allayed.

In UWOL land, we are all conservationists - and are doing a great public service in showing our wild heritage.

Carry on.

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:33 AM   #47
Trustee

Hi Dale and thanks for your response. As I said I can tell you love dearly the birds you work with. My main concern is however if many people were to start doing this and theres no legality to state otherwise you'd have a problem on your hands. - All I'd ask is you cover what you've said in your response in your documentry, if you weren't going to already. I think then that people will immediately see that your actions are carefully measured and your net effect on the population is a positive one.

Cheers
Mat

Last edited by Mat Thompson; August 22nd, 2009 at 02:19 PM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:00 PM   #48
Major Player

Dale,
There are a lot of people out there that question the wisdom or "right" to take birds out of the wild for human purposes. Many are conservationists, as are most of us UWOLers. I have seen, however, people change their attitude 180 degrees when they go to a wildlife festival where a falconer has brought some of his birds and they get to see these magnificent creatures close up for the first time. After seeing, and hearing the falconer's talk they generally agree that it isn't so bad.
If you know what happened to raptors at Hawk Mountain and other places in the early 1900s, and what happens to them now as they migrate in places like the Mideast, you tend to be happy that there is an active and vocal community for whom the welfare of these birds is important.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

First, I take no offense in others opinions. I have spent my entire life defending and protecting raptors, have participated in the reintroduction of the peregrine, done raptor surveys. When I started at this in 1961 raptors were not protected. Falconers in Canada and the United states were the primary movers and shakers to get them protected. As they becme protected proper regulations of the resources were established and continue to be so managed.

I should do a documentary of its own on the hole digging project. It is quite an experience to repel over a cliff, hang there and use a power Jackhammer to punch holes into a cliff. It is evern cooler years later to return and find them successfully nesting there. And in this year one of the resident falconers taking a youngster is frosting on the cake.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:43 AM   #50
Trustee

Hi Dale,
Well your documentary is really starting to take shape. It sounds like you're already working on the technical issues that others have commented on & i don't have anything constructive to add other than to say how much i enjoyed watching your latest installment! I love the way you are following the falconers in their search for the falcons and can't wait to see the training & then hunting with the bird they captured. I do agree with Mat that covering the issues with taking these birds from the wild would be a good thing. Your response to his initial comment was very reassuring & i think it would be great to add something to that affect in the film.
It certainly sounds like a rare day in the praries would be one that you can film outdoors without any form of wind protection on your mics!
Good luck for the run home!
Bryce
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:50 PM   #51
Trustee

Dale, very interesting. I guess I never though about how you got the bird. I think that narration explaining why you needed a particular age bird was interesting and, educational. The shot of you falconer repelling down the cliff could be broken up with close ups and mor dialog. I will be waiting for the finished product. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:31 AM   #52
Major Player

Hi Dale

I had been preparing my comments for your video when I read that you had lost your Falcon in such a sad way. I really feel for you.

So glad to hear you have decided to turn it around and make something good come out of it.

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Yard Manning

In spite of the disaster things will go on just fine. I still have "Chip" who I will now have to step backwards with (in training) to get some footage that was to be covered with "Drako" (the one killed).

The following link is or may be my October submission and a portion of this will be selected to go into part 1 of the program. It actually is an essential bit of information.

Yard Manning on Vimeo
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #54
Inner Circle

Good to hear you are still in the game, Dale!
I look forward to your finished film.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #55
Major Player

Hey Dale,
We were all worried about you. It's good to see that things have settled down for you and Chip. Can't wait to see that hunting footage.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #56
Major Player

Dale... I really enjoyed your piece. Nice saturation and good narration. I like seeing the film-makers "in the flesh" so to speak. I too am glad you are hanging in there!

Chris
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #57
Inner Circle

October submission

Good Afternoon,

I am having to use this for this submission, I had other plans actually.

There is some important information in this piece, some of which will be used.

I had hoped to have more, but things have been out of bounds for me for the last month.
I am off crutches and on to using a cane at present but still in constant pain even though I am much better after a scant two weeks.
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #58
Trustee

Dale:

This is a heartwarming video, especially since this beautiful bird is no longer with us. Your piece is fascinating. Your guitar playing is superb, and the humor of which way to face and where to poop was gratifying. Was it my imagination, but it looked like he was keeping time to the music? Your cat is enjoying the time as well.

I don't think I have ever seen your home when everything is green instead of a frozen ice box. This was enjoyable.

Hope you are healing well.

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #59
Major Player

Dale, I had looked at this piece earlier and enjoyed it just as much as last time. I thought of you the other day. I came to Montana to acquire some more footage and a couple of headshot interviews hopefully, and as luck would have it I arrived during record low temperatures (I think the lowest was around 8 degrees F. My outdoor shooting was tough, especially since I was coming from much warmer temperatures and really hadn't time to acclimate.

Every time I thought it was too much, a little voice said "Dale up in Saskatchewan does this routinely and with a LOT MORE WIND - buck up!"

Very enjoyable piece.

Chris
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #60
Major Player

Dale- I really enjoyed your submission this round, although I know you originally intended to show us something else. When you are finished I hope you will give us a link to all three parts as we won’t all be able to see it over the air and you have one of the most interesting storylines. Being able to produce your own music is a tremendous asset and a huge tool in your toolbox! Congratulations.

I hope that you are now feeling better.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge