DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL website updates (Long form and more) - Please read !! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/235745-uwol-website-updates-long-form-more-please-read.html)

Mat Thompson May 20th, 2009 03:21 PM

UWOL website updates (Long form and more) - Please read !!

Hi guys

We have done a mod on The UWOL Challenge - Wildlife & Outdoor based film competition

Long form

There is now a dedicated page for the long form competition. It centralises things and is a one stop shop for everyones work as they continue through the challenge.

Can I ask for your assistance to complete this page and bring everything up to date !?

If you haven't already supplied it can I have the following things ?

1. A image file that represents your film.

2. A text file/plan that summarises your film. (The more info the better)

3. Make sure that you have all your completed phases uploaded to the uwol server.

Google Calender

You will also find a google calender on the site, which we hope will mean you can plan more effectively and know exactly whats coming up and when.

Many thanks

Feel free to email me at mdtmail@yahoo.co.uk with any of this info.

Chris Swanberg May 20th, 2009 07:20 PM

Mat... when I log in and then click to the long form page, I get a portion of the page, but cannot scroll down... am I missing something?

Mat Thompson May 21st, 2009 05:43 AM

Hi Chris
You shouldn't need to log in to anything as such.

If you go to the home page and click on the long form link you should get a long page with all the films listed ? What browser are you using ?

Is anyone else having problems with this ?

Mat

Bob Thieda May 21st, 2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat Thompson (Post 1146243)
Hi Chris
You shouldn't need to log in to anything as such.

If you go to the home page and click on the long form link you should get a long page with all the films listed ? What browser are you using ?

Is anyone else having problems with this ?

Mat

Mat

It works well and looks good in Opera, Firefox and Chrome...I didn't try explorer...

Trond Saetre May 21st, 2009 06:32 AM

I'm using IE7, and I only see parts of the page.
It shows Vidar Vedaa, phase 1 and 2, nothing below that. And it is not possible to scroll anything.

Mat Thompson May 21st, 2009 06:35 AM

Ok guys. Yes this seems to be an IE issue.

I will look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Mat Thompson May 21st, 2009 07:22 AM

OK guys....that should be good in IE now. Code glitch.

Let me know of any other issues.

And please get in touch and fill all the gaps ASAP.

Cheers
Mat

Trond Saetre May 21st, 2009 07:41 AM

Hi Mat, it works fine with IE7 now.

By the way, that google calendar on the uwol site is a great feature!

Sam Mendolia May 21st, 2009 01:52 PM

Although I am not entered, I have no problem accessing the page.

Catherine Russell May 21st, 2009 05:21 PM

Nicely Done Mat!

Per Johan Naesje May 22nd, 2009 12:48 AM

Hi Mat, very well done! Just a question about the "Read more about the film here" - http://www.uwolchallenge.com/longfor.../per_johan.doc

Are we supposed to update this file and resend it to you by email or are there any way to upload it by ourself to the server?

The google calender was very nice too. Good to know the deadlines for the upcoming challenges.

Mat Thompson May 22nd, 2009 02:51 AM

Thanks guys, I think this page should be great as we move along and mean we don't have to look through dvi threads for all the information we need.

Hey Per

I will change the uploader to except .doc and .jpg format files. Then you can upload a another .doc/.jpg file at anytime and just send me an email to let me know. I will then move the file and over write the older file.

Mat Thompson May 22nd, 2009 06:57 AM

Ok guys

The uploader is now able to take .doc .jpg and .jpeg files. - So if anyone wants to add/change their text and image files simply upload then drop me an email.

Cheers
Mat

Steve Siegel May 22nd, 2009 04:24 PM

Mat,
While you're at it...
Maybe this has already been done, but if not would you be able to post some tips about how to get our 5 minute HD entries down to the requisite 60 MB without the expensive Sorenson Squeeze? It takes me days of trial and error every time, and I assume that others have similar issues. The results are alway unsatisfactory. This time I had to cut the frame rate by half, and make the image so small you can't even see it. I think that part of the problem is that .mov files tend to be rather large compared to other formats.
Sure would be nice if we could convert to .dvx, which is free.

Mat Thompson May 22nd, 2009 05:44 PM

Steve
If you read the rules for the longform I think you'll see you have 180mb to play with !!

Now I don't write the rules so I'm not sure myself whether this means the whole film or the individual components. BUT...I would guess if 60mb is for 3 minutes then 20mins minimum is going to need more than 180mb. So I presume at 180mb, Meryem is being generous for the individual sections.

That said I would say for the sake of everyones downloads keeping it to below 100mb for 5 mins should be plausible.

The problem with opening it up to any other co-decs is that people will have viewing issues. So we have gone for the best cross platform formats and I think 20mb per min is a reasonable amount at the 428 res.

Cheers
Mat