DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#14 - "Forgotten - still here" by Geir Inge B. Brekke (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/240211-uwol-14-forgotten-still-here-geir-inge-b-brekke.html)

Geir Inge August 3rd, 2009 01:07 AM

UWOL#14 - "Forgotten - still here" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

I found this on the internet, amongst others, about rythms and cycles:

Much of nature is made up of rhythms or cycles. Common rhythms include the four seasons and the twenty-four hour rotation of the earth. Like nature, our bodies have rhythms. Some of the rhythms of body and mind are tied to nature. When working properly, our bodies respond to nature’s cues to create their ideal rhythms. For example, when functioning properly, the human circadian rhythm will respond to the morning light of a new day.

Well, I’m trying to be a little bit experimental this time.
All is filmed on the ”sunny” beach of Ristesund, at Kvamsoy.
I loved the voice of the talking trees in the film "Lord of the rings".
So - yes, it's me talking and also the music is made by me.
Could have done with a little bit colour correction, but time ran out on me.

Link 1 (small): Forgotten-still here

Link 2 (mediaplayer/big): Forgotten-still here

Link 3: Forgotten - still here By Geir Inge B. Brekke On ExposureRoom

Mike Sims August 3rd, 2009 08:24 PM

Hello Geir Inge,
I think you have a winner here. I really enjoyed watching it. It is an unique idea and I just loved the voice of the boathouse. It reminded me of how I imagine Santa Clause should sound. Your compositions and exposures are fantastic. I especially enjoyed seeing the otters. All in all, an interesting story very well told. Well done.

Best wishes for your upcoming exams!

Dale Guthormsen August 3rd, 2009 08:36 PM

Geir,

I loved the story from the perspective of the old boat house!! some real nice shots, my favorites, the otter, at the end the old rotten beams and of course the excellerated clouds!!

Very nice and a real pleasure to watch.

Chris Barcellos August 3rd, 2009 09:59 PM

Geir... very nice storyline and great shots too.

Finn-Erik Faale August 4th, 2009 03:05 PM

What a great film, based on a good idea. The scene following a restless and shy otter is impressing. Your fishing lives up the film at the right moment.

Trond Saetre August 4th, 2009 03:39 PM

Sometimes experimenting is a very good thing, and this is absolutely a good one!
Fun to watch, nice matching voices, and as always, image quality is superb on your videos.

Thank you for sharing.

Rich Ryan August 4th, 2009 09:05 PM

Geir,

What a great concept for this theme. I really loved your script and narration. You added a really personal touch to the video. It kept me entertained and wanting to know who (or what) the narrator was right up to the end. Well done!

The little rainbow sequence at 0:54 was nice and the sequences of the otter were excellent.

rich

Mihali Moore August 5th, 2009 02:08 AM

Geir,

This is a great little film. Your concept for it worked very well. The narration was brilliant and the voice worked extremely well. (you should contact Peter Jackson and offer your voice over services for The Hobbit!) The otter shots were lovely and I liked your music at the end. I found the shadow in the opening shot a little distracting, but apart from that...you have really pushed the boat out with this one.

Mihali

Geir Inge August 7th, 2009 03:39 AM

Thank you all for nice comments.

Mike: yes, next friday I have my first exam in medical matte. Everything has to be exactly correct, think I'm too old for school :)

Sorry about the shadow in the beginning Mihali, but I hear you. I didn't have a tripod with me, only my HV30 camera and I put it on top of a stone. This scene wasn't ment for this video, but I wanted an optimistic scene in the beginning, something to do with "young", as the video in a way reflects the circle of life. By the way, my kids call me "The Hobbit", haha. I have gained weight sinse I stopped smoking.

The otter is actually filmed from the door opening of the boathouse as it is running on the beach. The swimming sequence I managed the day after, waiting for 5 hours. When it finally showed up, what happens? A couple of "young lovers" came down for a walk on the beach and thereby distroyd everything, causing the otter to flee, but thats life as the old boat house would have said :)

I'm glad you liked my fishing scene Finn-Erik, wasn't sure about that one, but somehow I had to show that "man" didn't care about the house.

Just a sidestep, but I think it's getting more and more difficult to give constructive and helpful feedback to the uwol videos as they are improving all the time. It somehow seems disparaging (hope it is the right english word) to give negative critics to almost perfect films.

Regards from the book worm :)

PS
The link to EXposureroom is dead, so you have to use the link to the small file.

Ron Chant August 7th, 2009 05:08 AM

Geir,
I liked this approach of the boat house telling a story of the things it has seen over it’s life time, now old and begins to feel it’s age, also liked the old items inside the BH old fish boxes, lobster pots and nets it gave a good feel of it’s age.
Mr Otter the Otter on the shore was a nice shot as was the wide long shot of the horizon with end of the rainbow.
Another good film from Norway.

Per Johan Naesje August 7th, 2009 10:02 AM

Ha, ha, ha Geir,
this was very clever done! I liked it alot. Definitive one of the top films for this round.

Your narrating is very good. If your exams fails, you have a future there, just kidding :-)

Very crisp and sharp footage, liked the footage from inside the boathouse.

Good luck with your exams, Geir!

Meryem Ersoz August 8th, 2009 08:40 AM

The boathouse speaks!

It just goes to show that you can bring anything to life with the magic of film...definitely a most original concept and believable. This was very clever. I like the little old boathouse chuckles that you threw in there...heh heh heh...wise old boathouse laughing at humans and the folly of our short-sighted view of things...

Definitely a UWOL original...

Geir Inge August 10th, 2009 06:13 AM

Meryem, PJ and Ron;
Thank you for kind words, I appreciate your comments a lot.
I think one of the toughest things when it comes to uwol, is to use a propper english.
Ron;
I am reading the dictionary on and on again to find the right words.
I am using the word "lobster trap", but maybe the right word is "lobster pot"?

Thanks again for kind words.
Geir Inge

Ron Chant August 10th, 2009 06:31 AM

Geir,
I understand all your narrative better than I do from most people in Glasgow and I was born near there.
Lobster pot is a term used here in the UK, but you are right in saying it’s a Trap
All you guys from Norway speak far better English, than most of us can speak if any Norwegian, ☺
The very best of luck in your Exams.