S.O.S. Maybe? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #1
Trustee

S.O.S. Maybe?

Hello long-form UWOLers!

I know the deadline for submitting the third round is midnight tonight and I'm still .... PROCESSING! I have 18 minutes of material and have worked extremely hard on this, but I have been thrown off by the staggering length of rendering times this is requiring.

I've pulled an all-nighter last night keeping the flow going and it's seriously getting down to the wire. I don't know if I will make the midnight deadline!

Meryem, is there any mercy for me here? May I post a series of stills taken from my film to show that I have 18 minutes of material to post as soon as it's finished processing?

One needs nerves of steel for this kind of stuff! An inner part of me wants to break down into an all out panic, while the rest is trying to hold it together.

I've spent hundreds of fantastic hours filming in the Park, and I can't believe I stand so close to elimination because of the slow HD processing. I miscalculated the time needed for this.... ouch!

Comments welcome.... for a poor damsel in distress!

Cat

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS to the UWOL 14 winners. Per, Kevin and Geir... and all of you are in the long form as well. How do you guys do it?
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Major Player

HI Cat, I'm actually up the same creek, probably looking for the same paddle ;-)

I think I'm going to have to upload tomorrow night!!!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Cat,

Is it just the HD video or do you have alot of graphics and Fx?

18 minutes? Thought you were only to submit 3 minutes!!!!!

Perhaps select a sample three minutes and submit it!!

could also render it in 24 P to shorten the size too?
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Cat

I got myself into all sorts of stupid last-minute trouble with my last submission and had to have my time extended so don't panic - as Meryem says these deadlines are for our benefit. If it makes you feel better then do what Dale suggests - we only have to submit five minutes of video so if you have five minutes rendered, upload that for the moment.
I must admit I am really looking forward to your movie.

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Trustee

Hey all:

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions! As I should have known, Meryem covered the situation with grace and good humor and though humbled, I'm still in. So Rob, you and I can paddle into calmer waters together, eh?

I'll get my thread up now, as I am currently posting to Vimeo and will the UWOL site next.

Thanks Dale, you have such practical suggestions in a mini-crisis! And Marj, you will see that I really took all of your suggestions very seriously, and I think it's much improved. Thanks.

Can't wait to see what you all have cooked up and perfected!

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge