DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Injured List (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/457146-injured-list.html)

Dale Guthormsen September 30th, 2009 09:58 AM

Injured List

Good Morning,

Well, I have to join Cat on the injured list. I was out in the field and was running and my leg went wobbly felt a snap and then I slammed down into the ground. Never been in so much pain. Thought I had my leg break. We got me to emergency (took an hour to get there) and as it turned out I ripped the hamstring real badly and I am on crutches and powerful drugs to reduce the swelling (its pretty ugly) and the pain.

Do not know how long I will be laid up, doc says weeks.

do not know if I can get the remaining long form footage in time.

uwol 15, well I am gonna sign up but will likly swim.

It hurts to set here by the computer with leg propped up.

Mike Sims September 30th, 2009 11:46 AM

Dale!
Sorry about the fall. I hope the pain lessens soon. I know it’s hard to shoot video while balancing on crutches (been there). Since your entry is more than one episode, perhaps you can finish at least 20 minutes of one episode and stay in. I hope so. The main thing is- get well soon.

Please tell us that the camera didn’t take the spill with you!

Trond Saetre September 30th, 2009 11:49 AM

Hi Dale,
Wish you a quick recovery.
As Mike says, any chance you can submit one episode of your series for the long form?
Would be sad if you have to bail out now.

Bruce Foreman September 30th, 2009 11:57 AM

Dale,

I wish you the best in having a full recovery. Extremely tight hamstring on one leg has kind of sidelined me for a year now and I can only try to imagine the pain you are going through with the hamstring ripped.

Follow therapists advice and stay with it, but don't "push" past where you're supposed to go. If you can get someone to help you "wrangle" gear you can still do video.

Good luck!

Bruce Foreman

Geir Inge October 1st, 2009 05:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good afternoon Dale.

Sorry to hear about your injury, and I wish you all the best.

Here's a big Norwegian hug to you from me and my Troll Moose (elk).

Geir Inge

Catherine Russell October 1st, 2009 01:08 PM

Oh no Dale!

Ouch, that sounds really painful. Hamstrings are nothing to fool around with. Was someone with you when it happened? I certainly hope so.

Take care of yourself Dale. We have 6 more weeks, I hope you can rest up and feel well enough to submit a final with the footage you have.

Of all the things I would love to have uwolers join me with, the injured list is NOT one of them.

Get well soon,

Cat

Chris Swanberg October 1st, 2009 01:40 PM

Dale... indeed sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope youhave a speedy and as pain free a recovery as possible. I hope you can use some of the "down time" for editing...yours was one of the entries I was particularly interested in seeing in final form !

Chris

ps. I like the idea Geir has of sending "condolence" pics, so here's mine - A Glacier park Coluimbian Ground Squirrel:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/members/...d-squirrel.jpg

pps. I could not get the pic itself to load into the post, it only gave the URL in spite of using the IMG BB address. Sorry for the extra click required.

Chris Barcellos October 1st, 2009 02:38 PM

Sorry to hear of your injury... having gone through a few issues myself in the last months, I know how frustrating it can be to on the injured list. Get back soon..

Dale Guthormsen October 1st, 2009 02:55 PM

Thanks everyone,

The pictures were great!!!

I am doing some editing work in 10 to 15 minute intervals with an elevated leg, Joy Joy!!
I have some essential footage that has to be shot, I hope to have some help getting it.

Meryem Ersoz October 1st, 2009 05:52 PM

ouch! sorry, Dale, sounds painful.

this UWOL is a dangerous game, not for the faint-hearted! mat's foot, cat's ankle, your hamstring - i know there are many others, we should keep a list of our injured reserve.

get well soon.

Steve Siegel October 1st, 2009 06:30 PM

Dale,
The "snap" you describe sounds a little suspicious for just a pulled hamstring. Is your swelling at the knee? Please be sure that someone does an MRI of your knee at some point, to make sure the ACL and cartillages are intact. Fifteen years ago I didn't, and have been sorry ever since.

Steve Siegel, MD

Chris Swanberg October 1st, 2009 11:32 PM

Steve, thank you for saying it. Dale.... I have litigated a case where they missed something in a situation similar to yours. Steve said it very well.... listen to the Dr. - at least explore the diagnosis.

Chris

Marj Atkins October 2nd, 2009 03:04 AM

Wow Dale - first your falcon, now your leg! - Really sorry to hear about your mishap.

Marj

Ruth Happel October 2nd, 2009 02:16 PM

I should chime in to this thread to explain why I haven't been on the UWOL forum for a while. We were moving out of our rental house in June and I slipped on the driveway and braced myself as I went down. My arm got twisted around and I really messed up my shoulder. After a couple months of physical therapy it isn't getting much better so I may need surgery and will still not be able to join in the fun. Hopefully by this winter I will be better and back to video. I miss it! Sorry for the other UWOL injuries- keeping up with video can be challenging.

Ruth

Dale Guthormsen October 2nd, 2009 04:10 PM

Good evening,

Pins and needles in the foot, lets me know I am still alive I guess. Quite a few injuries to the crew this year!!!

Tomarrow I have made arrangements to go out and film some essential footage. I will be doing that from crutches or setting on the bed of a truck. wish I had an xhA1 or an hv 30 instead of the heavly xlh1!!!

My friend and fellow cameraman participating in the long form with me Nairn Gillies has his arm up in the shoulder high horizontal position recouping from his shoulder injury!!! We make quite a pair out in the field at the moment!!!