UWOL #15 - where's the shark tank? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 31st, 2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #15 - where's the shark tank?

Or am I the only one swimming this time?

I got out with the camera for a couple of hours last week, but when I looked at the footage it was all blurred. I think I must have had the ND filter off and got a small aperture - that's what usually causes it.

I thought I might get another chance on Friday afternoon, but constant drizzle and occasional hard rain put me off - the rain would have been blowing into the camera lens, so it wasn't just a case of covering everything up.

My hopes of getting my life back in October didn't last long - I seem to be working all hours under the sun (and moon) and the end of the tunnel doesn't seem to be getting any closer! Ah well, a new month cometh . . . . . .
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Poor Annie - a latter day geek tragedy! Maybe we'll see you in UWOL #16.

I know the feeling. I really struggled to get anything done - my day job consumes so much of my time, plus family commitments, I don't get a lot of time left over.

Plus the weather was dreadful this time, at least over the Irish Sea here, and I found the lighting very hard to work with - all grey and dull and miserable, everything looked so flat. I, too, stuffed up the ND filter - I forgot to take the screw-in one off and the exposure was all over the shop at times.

My Sock-Loupe was an interesting experience, but at times my focusing was actually worse with it! I think I need to practice.

I did manage to pull some usable sequences, as the video, but it wasn't easy and isn't my best every wildlife footage. I also neglected the sound capturing, and struffled to pull enough usable audio from to make it worthwhile.

But... I did have some rule #11 in the process!
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Annie, I found it here in UWOL Challenge 10:

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...X_sphucpsa.mov
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Ah yes, Chris flushed into temporary oblivion!!

Now I'm trying to work out how to schedule a video session into what has already become a four-day week (I'm off to a meeting on the other side of the country next Saturday - it will take all Friday to get there, and all Sunday to get back) but there is likely to be the funeral of a friend who died on Saturday gettng in the way somewhere.

It's 9am here, so I'd better get on with some work.
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Annie,

It never seems to end does it!!! Remember however, it only bigins anew!! so I hope to see you in the UWOL 16. I really do like your entries and missed yours this go around.

I came really close to diving in for the first time this round, perhaps I should have as aposed to put up what I did!!!
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Dale

Thanks for the encouragement. Right now, though, things seem to be going downhill. I've just got back from my weekend meeting. I took the XH-A1 with me, as there was a chance of a couple of hours out in the field somewhere. Well, I got to that somewhere, and set up the camera in a public hide. I realised I had left the Lanc control at home, the hide may have given good views of birds, but it had a wooden floor and every time someone moved, or came up the ramp outside, there was too much vibration for filming. Then I thought the picture on the LCD screen looked washed out, so I checked the preset, and it was off, but I couldn't turn it back on because I had "borrowed" the SD card for something else, and hadn't returned it to the camera! There were a few other minor problems too.

Now, I have got the book I was editing out of the way last week. My friend's funeral is tomorrow, I have three work contracts to finish this week (not a chance . . . .) plus a visit to the dentist. After that, just maybe I can get out with the camera, or start looking at UWOL 15 entries . . . . . . . . .
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Trustee

I know I seriously have to develop a check list. I have several camera bags for different needs as well as different setups. I don't know how many times I've taken off before sunrise to try and get some great footage only to find that I left something in the other bag or took something out and forgot to put it in.
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Usually I'm pretty well organised, but I've had too much work and not enough time for personal projects this year especially, so things have slipped badly. I had intended swapping the small card in the Edirol 09 for the larger one in the XH-A1, as I rarely use the A1 for stills. Now I just have to remember where I put the larger card! And I fear I am in danger of forgetting how to use the cameras!
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Major Player

"...And I fear I am in danger of forgetting how to use the cameras! "

You know if you are using several cameras, (and some DSLR's for stills) and also varying your picture profiles etc etc... that is a VERY real concern.

I find that I need to go back and re-read the manual from time to time just to not forget how to do things I don't often do... and that is when I AM using the camera!!

We missed your entry this time Annie. Hope to see you back in 16.

Chris S.

ps. And I am thinking I like Kevin's idea of checklists.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge