DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 15 - Land of the Seagulls - Geir Inge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/466881-uwol-15-land-seagulls-geir-inge.html)

Geir Inge October 31st, 2009 01:27 PM

UWOL 15 - Land of the Seagulls - Geir Inge

Well, I went on a 2 days trip to my old homeplace, Kvamsoy.
I did some shooting both of the days and this is what I came up with.
Location is a place on Kvamsoy I have filmed many times, both seabirds and otter.
This time I get no otter, but plenty of seagulls and a relaxing time, as always.
Maybe nothing much to comment, but feel free to give yours :)

Dale Guthormsen October 31st, 2009 02:09 PM

Geir,

A very pleasant and peaceful pice of video. I have a place that makes me feel the same way, a large piece of native prairie, so I really do recognise how special places can make one feel.
You did a fine job portraying that!!

Was that a power fishing boat with a red mizen sail on the rear of it??? Unique.

Chris Swanberg October 31st, 2009 02:37 PM

Geir.... I enjoyed your piece very much. You didn;t have a lot to work with, but did a nice job of weaving it into a good watchable piece. The seagull soaring was beautiful to watch and I also liked how you wove the boat transiting the screen into the last of the film.

Well done.

Chris S.

Finn-Erik Faale October 31st, 2009 02:38 PM

Geir Inge,

It is a pleasure to look at your video, in a time where nothing can go fast enough.
I appreciate your way of telling a story. The editing is good, it is no need for crossovers.
Maybe the black level could be lowered a bit in some cuts.

Mike Sims November 1st, 2009 08:55 AM

Geir Inge- I grew up on our Texas coast where I was used to seeing gulls every day. My adult life has been spent inland and I miss them. Thank-you for sharing your special place (and it’s gulls) with us!

Rich Ryan November 1st, 2009 09:36 AM

Geir Inge,

Well I know you were dissappointed in your offering, but I really liked your entry. Your voice over and music selection were outstanding. You continue to amaze me with your voice overs - wow!

I liked the opening sequence and the seagull tracking shot at 2:00 was very well done - nice smooth camera work.

Mike Beckett November 1st, 2009 01:24 PM

Geir Inge,

So this was a last minute rushed film? I had three whole weeks and couldn't come close to matching you.

I liked the opening sequences with the scenery, then the bird (was it a rock pippit?) and the seal. What a lovely place to be, you really are lucky to have somewhere special like that.

Seagulls are just one of those things. You take them for granted, the starlings of the oceans, but there is something magestic about them really.

Just lovely.

You made me think of the BBC's Autumnwatch programme last week. They had some excellent sequences from wildlife cameraman Gordon Buchanan, as he headed out to film killer whales in the North Sea. Thousands of seagulls followed the fishing boat, and it was shot from the boat itself. I'm not sure if anyone outside of the UK can see this (it's not iPlayer), but it's worth a try:

BBC - Autumnwatch - Video Archive

Geir Inge November 1st, 2009 05:42 PM

Hi and thank you for comments.

I have just come back from work and rush in to tell that I will give my comments to you all after up comming wednsday the 4th. That's my exams day :/

Dale: Yes, it's a power fishing boat with a red mizen sail. This type of sail is used to stabilize because of the side winds. I have been a fisherman myself ( year 1976 to 1979, in the North Sea, at Faroe islands and Shetland islands) and we did use a mizen sail :) Still we have some of these boats left on the coast, fishing and deliver to local dealers.

Chris: Well I could choose not to participate this time, but I hate to be in a tank together with sharks :)

Finn-Erik: I didn't have time for any colour correction or anything, so most of the shots are a little bit pale in my opinion, because I used my 300 mm lens (cheap one) on most of the shots, and this lens is no good other in sharp sunlight :/ I had to use it to zoom into the fishing boat.

Mike S: Well, seagulls are often thought about as one bird species, but in fact there are many different kinds and they do look pretty, at least I think so. Every summer we have a little colony of seagulls/Common Gull in the backyard, and this summer I spent hours to get some shots for my ULF video, and I did :)

Rich: Thank you very much for kind words, but still - I could have done better :) When it comes to VO I think it's important to tell a story that can fit the pictures.

Mike B: Thank you for kind words. Yes, it's a Rock Pippit. On this place there is a special habitat of rotten sea weed. No good for our nose, but a very good feeding station for the birds :) The opening scene is shot from the top of Kvamsoy island (290 m above sea level). All the rest of the video is shot from the place I'm zooming in and down to, at the beginning of my video. Thank you for the link to BBC, but I somehow didn't manage to see the video?

I will be back after my exam on 4th nov, and give my comments to you all.

Geir Inge

Trond Saetre November 1st, 2009 05:45 PM

Hei Geir Inge,
As usual, you deliver quality videos, and this was no exemption.
I like how you use the fishing boat as transitions, and also how you use the boat to create some extra movement in your video.
Loved the close up of the bird after about a minute.
Well done!

Kevin Railsback November 1st, 2009 09:04 PM

Geir,

You do such a great job with your VO's. So soothing and relaxing. It's a theme that has run through a lot of these films this time around.

Like some of the other films this round, you gave the film a chance to breathe and develop. It certainly added to the laid back feeling of the film. I feel refreshed watching it. Can't imagine the serenity in person.

I'm glad you stayed in and finished. I enjoyed you film very much!

Bob Thieda November 2nd, 2009 10:24 AM

Geir Inge,

A fine piece....you took us to a place you like and a place that makes you feel good.
The animals are part of that place...It was very nice.

I enjoyed the opening from up high....and your mix of long and close shots...

I can see why you like it there....you communicated that very well.

And once again, your voice over was nicely done!

Chris Barcellos November 2nd, 2009 02:31 PM

Hey Geir... wanted to let you know I watched your film... and enjoyed it. Thanks for another nice production for us all to enjoy.

Oliver Pahlow November 2nd, 2009 02:52 PM

Geir,

What can I say that hasen't already been said. Lovely shots and great location. And your VO was wonderful. Great entry.

Geir Inge November 5th, 2009 05:07 AM

Hi all of you great uwolers.

Well, yesterday I had my exam and did pass, so today I'm feeling just great :)
Think I'm getting too old for school, working 80% part time, studying and my favorite "work" - videoing, but still it's fun too :)

OK, back to buisness and the UWOL#15 videos.
First I must thank you all for commenting my video.
You're all so very kind to me, I don't think my video is much to mention in this round, but again thank you for nice comments.

I have seen some of the other videos and will try to watch the rest during the up comming weekend, and then give my comments to you all.

Today?

I'm feeling great, taking the day off, relaxing and celebrating my exam :)

Cheers!

Mat Thompson November 5th, 2009 05:13 AM

Hey Geir

A heartfelt piece and while the images/camera are not your best standard in my opinion your narration...well, I'd be contacting an agent fella! It is fabulous and as smooth as honey!

Mat