DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #15 - An Irish Wild-Goose Chase - by Mike Beckett (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/466887-uwol-15-irish-wild-goose-chase-mike-beckett.html)

Dale Guthormsen November 5th, 2009 07:19 PM

Mike,

Never tried that, will keep it in my arsenal!!! wonder why it flows bettter??

Mike Beckett November 6th, 2009 02:57 AM

Dale,

I meant it flows better for the story - it was originally a pan away from the lough, but a pan to the lough worked better.

No technical advantage at all!

Geir Inge November 6th, 2009 06:07 AM

Hi Mike.

First to the opening music – I love it.
To me it just settles the video and makes me feel good about it, even the first time I saw it I felt this way, and that’s a good thing :)

There are two things I want to point out.
The shots taken from the heights are a little pale I think.
The other thing is that I miss a real close up of one of the birds. The one at around 2.00, swimming geese, is not close enough in my opinion.
But all in all a very good video, with a great story and it’s all in touch with the theme :) Nice VO.
If I’m to point out a special thing it has to be how you bind together the story between the flight of the plane and the bird’s flight distance. Just great and it gives me the feeling that you’ve been doing research/your homework so to speak :)
Also you give us (the viewer) an insight to this kind of habitat, very well done.

Wish you all the best and good luck.
Geir Inge

Meryem Ersoz November 6th, 2009 07:41 AM

I like cheesy Oirish music!

Think I'll go pour a pint and think about all the lost loves and missed opportunities...

Mike Beckett November 6th, 2009 12:19 PM

Geir:

I agree about the points you made; lack of time, wildlife and (more importantly) lack of a long enough lens left the shots a lot wider than I would have liked. And I wanted to re-shoot the opening scenes so they weren't almost directly into the sun, but the weather was very poor and I ran out of time.

And I am good at homework, even if I'm not good at exams!

Meryem:
The music seems to hit the spot them. I may win some brownie points from the Irish faction in America when the judging comes round!

Annie Haycock November 23rd, 2009 12:30 PM

A lovely soothing film, with colours I can relate too on our estuary here. I can tell you where 20 of your missing geese were! They've been over here for the past few weeks! We had twenty or so overwintering last year, and it looks like they've come back again. We don't get many geese, except for the Canadian kind (everyone here seems to think they should go home to Canada) so we really appreciate you lending us a few!!

Sam Mendolia November 29th, 2009 07:09 PM

Hey, what's what wrong with Canada Geese!

Well Mike,

another great video.
I watched it twice, without the audio, to get a feel for the visuals.
Then I turned on the audio, and watched it a few more times. I don't now why I do this when viewing the videos here.

The visuals are great, for what you had to put up with weather wise, the audio was great.
I know what you mean by getting in closer with a longer lens.

I need to learn to do VO, so yours was a treat, and thank you for the links, on the VO box.
I've seen others, but have not attempted to build, or even record any for that matter. I guess with some down time coming up over the holidays, I should practice, so that I can attempt it for the next round.
I love Irish music, and how you used it, fit perfectly.

Mike Beckett November 30th, 2009 02:59 PM

Thanks Annie, and Sam.

I've bought 5 more sheets of foam material, so who knows what I will construct for the next UWOL!

I have resolved to start a "telephoto lens fund" soon. The old Sony V1E will be ancient technology by the time I have saved enough...

Annie Haycock December 6th, 2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Mendolia (Post 1453794)
Hey, what's what wrong with Canada Geese!

Nothing wrong with Canada Geese - when they are in Canada!! They were introduced to ornamental ponds here, and now they are trying to take over.