Films Submitted for Judging in UWOL #15 under the rules. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #16
Wrangler

"for free" is another rather large distinction between UWOL and a film festival...

The judging is always the most highly-criticized aspect of this contest. There are issues with self-judging as well...

I'm not sure that there is a perfect system that would satisfy everyone equally. We just do the best we can.

I can say that 3 years of tapping my industry contacts and asking rather large favors of perfect strangers has worn me down a bit...that's why I'm thinking a year of self-judging would not be a bad way to go...

(remember, all you see is the judges that we get -- you don't see the judges that turn down my requests for volunteering 3-5 hours of their time...)
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Mike:

If you look at my history in this competition, I have posted in every challenge... except 12, because my film was actually posted on the DVChallenge side of that competition. I have made, I think, one other suggestion to improve the competition for participants during that time, and have otherwise not said much. I try to post comments on most others films in the spirit of the community. I really wasn't even aware of the actual Pre-judging rule or had forgotten it if I had known it in the past.

In this case, I thought my film might have had a chance to make it to judging. The judge didn't reference the film. I looked up the rules. I wondered if it had not for a technical reason, such as Rule 4, because I had wondered about it when I submitted the film. I saw Rule 9 and wondered had it not been selected pursuant to Rule 9.

Meryem, this is all this is about. I am not trying to discredit you or anyone else, or challenge anyone. I simply think it is at least fair to participants who put their time into adding to UWOL film library, for them to know if their film has been judged by the selected judge.

I have now said all I am going to on the matter, because it has all been taken wrong.
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #18
Wrangler

my apologies if I took your comments in other than the spirit that they were intended, Chris, I am definitely suffering from some end-of-the year blues, in advance of the end of the year, and am probably feeling a little skinless as a result...

too much time on productions and a raft of side projects, not enough time on sandy beaches...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #19
Trustee

Hi Meryem:

I understand the strain of so much going on, so please don't take offense at my musings about long form file size limits on the other thread "A question for the long form community".

I am hoping to bring some reasoning into a logical and steadfast rule of thumb for file size limits for larger files.

What you say goes! I'm just having a last minute serious snag meeting the 250 mb file size limit suggested yesterday.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge