DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   LongForm Upload (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/467721-longform-upload.html)

Mike Sims November 14th, 2009 09:59 AM

LongForm Upload

I just uploaded my “final” final file (as Meryem says- completed not finished!). It was uploading when I got the e-mail about the new naming convention. I had previously uploaded a file but it had several errors. After re-editing I sent up the new file with the same file name. It did not overwrite the old file but renamed the new one. Would one of the moderators please ensure that the new file> Sims_OverTheMountain_UWOLLongForm-Final1.mp4 < (uploaded on the 14th) is the file used? Thank-you! After the deadline I will post a link to files on my server as well as some final thoughts on my feedback thread.

I hope Meryem’s generous waving of the file size limits has now removed any remaining obstacles any of us are experiencing. Feel free to post to this thread once you have uploaded so we can keep a running tally of who’s made it to the finish line.

Best of luck everyone!

Bob Safay November 14th, 2009 10:35 AM

Mike, congradulations on finishing. I just uploaded mine. It is named

Safay_TheGalapagos_LongFormFinal

I must say this has been a great challenge. I wish you all luck. Bob Safay

Kevin Railsback November 14th, 2009 10:35 AM

Mike,

I see there's a file in there called Sims_OverTheMountain_UWOLLongForm-Final1.mp4 which was uploaded at 9:25AM on the 14th. It replaces the file called Sims_OverTheMountain_UWOLLongForm-Final.mp4 that was uploaded on the 12th at 6:38PM
It looks like the file size listed is 242.2MB

I'll delete the 1 at the end of the filename when I move it to the proper directory.

Kevin Railsback November 14th, 2009 10:36 AM

Mr. Safay, it looks like you have a file in there too that was uploaded today. 135.2MB in size.

Bob Safay November 14th, 2009 10:52 AM

Kevin, thanks. I am quite a bit relieved by your message. None I know it is up loaded and I am done. Bob

Mike Sims November 14th, 2009 11:04 AM

Thank-you, Kevin! After all this work I am also relieved by your message.

Way to go Bob. I’m looking forward to watching it.

Meryem Ersoz November 14th, 2009 10:13 PM

cool, only 3 more finishers to go, and we have ourselves a contest, keep 'em coming!

this is exciting! congratulations, boys!

Dale Guthormsen November 15th, 2009 09:20 AM

Good morning,

I have my film finalized . It is 40 minutes. Was at it all day yesterday. Everytime I try to render the hd below 630 mb I get all kinds of distortions.

I am using vegas 9.0, any suggestions?

I am currently rendering the hd project to SD in mp4 30 P. I am hoping I at least can down load that. Will know in a few hours.

I wil try to make a 500mb file in hd to put on vimeo.

Bob Safay November 15th, 2009 09:41 AM

Dale, good luck, we need your entry. Bob

Catherine Russell November 15th, 2009 05:12 PM

Hi all:

I uploaded last night: russell_longform_psalmsfromonhigh.mp4.

There you go, finally someone else dealing with the final render of an HD version and finding it tough to make it really small. Dale, I feel your pain. After lot's of variations I got mine to a file size of 433 mb, then realized it wasn't a streaming version. So I redid it so it will stream and it added 20 more mb. So my uploaded version is ~450 mb that streams.

I know Meryem is gracious to wave restrictions, but she did warn us about entries being dismissed if they take too long to download. But it's the best I can do. I've given it my best shot.

All the best everyone! Three cheers to Meryem for such an awesome experience as the UWOL forum!!!

Cat

Kevin Railsback November 15th, 2009 05:29 PM

Cat I see your file in there and I also see a file faale_longform_straholmen.mp4.
So looks like we have another entry uploaded! :)

Catherine Russell November 15th, 2009 07:10 PM

O.K. all...

We've had a cold snap with snow. This lends itself to a cold brew and a warm fire... which can be lethal concerning thought and reflection about my UWOL friends and family. Bottom line is, you all are amazing to me and I so appreciate you. This is not strictly long form folks, but short formers as well. I'm just going to highlight a few events and people, but my reflections extend to everyone.

I am amazed at the hardships that have surfaced for the long form entries. Mike, Dale, Mat and Marj with computer blowups and failures. Even without loss of material, the mental and psychological setback from this can be staggering. I laid awake several nights as my computer was churning through 16 - 24 hour renderings that I too would have a fatal crash that I would not recover from.

And then the illness and injuries! O.K. Rob, get better soon! But there was Dale and myself included in this. Yet out of all the hardships... Dale (God bless you friend) have endure with grit, the most hardship. First, his endearing film subject is shot, then a major injury, followed by a computer melt down, and finally is dealing with compression issues on an amazing 40 minute film. You are awesome!

Through it all, you have all become such friends! Mike who is so able and willing to share technical expertise to keep everyone moving forward, Chris who never has a non-supportive or friendly thing to say, Geir who bows out gracefully only at the very end with a heartwarming farewell film of friendship, and Mat who is rare to turn his attention to you but when he does brace yourself for the most insightful and critical comments that will truly improve your work and advance you to the next level of your potential.

Thank you everyone!

But finally, I must finish off with a note about Meryem and Kevin. Meryem, the hard core keeper of the gates to UWOL correctness and fairness... and yet somehow is able to give grace to everyone, always without exception along the way. She is a true motivator and inspiration to herd her flock onward and upwards to their full potential. And Kevin, who for reasons of his own had to leave the long form and is dearly missed, is always excited to report who has uploaded their film and make sure everyone's most current entry is the one that is on board.

As you can tell, I can go on and on! So suffice it to say that, films aside, I am so much better off because of all of you.

To the UWOL 15'ers that have finished the last entry of the year, cheers! To the UWOL long formers that are still sweating computer blowups, pulling all-nighters while sick and dealing with those DAMN compression issues.... here's to you. You're the best in my book.

Oh, and finally Bob... Way to go man! You sneaked through the long form unscathed (I think!) and with a fabulous trip to add to your resume! Now that is worth taking on the challenge!

Best to all,

Cat

P.S. Per, Trond I miss you both and hope we end up in a future challenge... (I'll be prepared to have my butt kicked!)

Kevin Railsback November 15th, 2009 07:37 PM

Sure Cat, make me cry on my laptop and make it fry! :)

Glad you were able to finish.

The group I was working with for my long form has disbanded and is in the process of starting another group that will be more focused.

So, it was kind of hard to do a film without the major players.

My idea changed mid-stream when I became aware of this group trying to change the Iowa River.

They were befuddled trying to save one of the most polluted rivers in the country and no one really cared. Shrimp farmers were seeing smaller and smaller catches in Louisiana and predict that within ten years they'll be out of business unless the Iowa River is cleaned up.

Iowa doesn't have elephants, lions and giraffe to bring attention to the river's plight so it's an uphill battle.

So, that's what my film will be about. It's just going to be a while before I can pick it back up.

Looking forward to UWOL 16!!!!!

Dale Guthormsen November 15th, 2009 09:01 PM

Good evening,

Well, my entry is down loading as I write this, 19% complete and should be done in a few hours or so.

I made a SD version, rendered it and it was still over 600 mb, Ugggg.

I finally got HD down to 304 megabytes. It really doesn't look like the HD I am used to.

I hope it finishes off with out a computer crash!!!

I am saying my prayers!!

ADD ON:

Got up this morning and it is down loaded without a hitch, so it tells me!!!

What a relief!!!

Meryem Ersoz November 16th, 2009 10:45 PM

once Dale gets his loaded...it's on! oh yeah. five finisher minimum is a done deal and we're off to the races.

still will be curious to see how many more throw their hat in the ring. lots of time still to get in the game.

someone give Cat a hot toddy and put her to bed...

glad you survived the blood, sweat, and tears...