A Big Huzzah to Long Form Finishers - The Giant Feedback Thread at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Wrangler

A Big Huzzah to Long Form Finishers - The Giant Feedback Thread

Congratulations to the mighty Long-Form Challenge finishers!

A grand achievement - a feature length documentary. Some of you finished. Some of you completed. But all of you survived the hardest UWOL Challenge to date. You should be proud of what you have accomplished in the past year.

An unbelievable eight finishers completed the contest, out of thirty who originally signed up. Those eight have endured all manner of injuries, crashed computers, frustrations, and challenges in the past year. But they clawed their way to the finish and should be commended for their achievement.

A toast to our finishers (in alphabetical order)
Marj Atkins
Rob Evans
Finn-Erik Faale
Dale Guthormsen
Cat Russell
Bob Safay
Steve Siegel
Mike Sims

You can download the films here.

The UWOL Challenge - Wildlife & Outdoor based film competition

I thought it would be nice to consolidate our conversation about the films into a single thread. This may be a good idea. It may be another one of my misguided ideas formed in the heat of trying to develop this thing a year ago. I leave it to the players to decide.

But take a moment and give yourselves and each other a huge pat on the back. You have done great things, large and small. I look forward to you continued development as artists, shooters, and technicians.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Congratulations to all of you! Well done!
I look forward to watch all of the videos.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Hey Bob:

You have really outdone yourself here! What a spectacular trip! The subject matter is captivating. You narrate beautifully and I am impressed at how you can keep it so interesting without music or any other "props". Just you, the camera and the most amazing wildlife. What a treat for us who may never have the opportunity to go to these islands. I liked it when you just let the sounds of the wildlife rip. This was put together nicely. Some shots were a little shaky, but mostly I was impressed at how stable the shooting was while on boats and pontoons.

Thanks for all the hard work for us to enjoy.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Trustee

Wow Mike:

I am so very impressed. This is rather an epic film. So much information. So much diverse wildlife. The work shows. Your flair for creativity and your technical skill round this out to a complete package with something for everyone. I love how you organized your film by elevation and weave a story of the turkey vulture throughout. This is nature filming at its best. Excellent job.

Cat
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Is it OK to post a Vimeo version now? These downloads take forever.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #6
Wrangler

yes, access the films however you like...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Marge Atkins feedback

Marj,
You did it! Stupendous! Magnificent! I wondered how you were going to explain the numbers, but the way you did just blew me away. The description of the leaves around the stem was a welcome revelation. This is one of the most informative pieces of nature videography I have ever seen. It begins with wonder, stays with it and intensifies it right to the end. Your videography is perfect, too. I would like to know how you managed some of the special effects, such as peeling away the outer shell of the Nautilus, and the one near the end where you start with a circumference of 89 growth points aoound the circumference of the embryonic flower and add more until the spirals are evident. Did you do that by hand?
I tried to show my wife the Fibonacci sequence on a pine cone the other day, but kept losing the rows, and she just thought I was a lunatic. Have to try it again. Thanks for this piece. Every junior high science student should see it.
Old November 25th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #8
Trustee

Congradulations to each of you. This was definately a CHALLENGE. Cat, thanks for the kind words. I shot over 5 hours of video at the Galapagos and a little over 2 hour at Machu Picchu, lugging the Canon XL-2 all the time. I really wish I could have had a tripod with me. I haven't even started editing Machu Picchu yet. I will enjoy watching each of your videos. However, I am heading out to spend the holiday with my brother. So with that HAPPY THANKSGIVING to each of you. Bob ps. I seem to recall Meryem promising each of us a new UWOL T-shirt.

Last edited by Bob Safay; November 25th, 2009 at 06:13 AM.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

Well, congrats to each of you all for crossing the finish line. In several ways i am amazed this entire challenge was pulled off!!! so many things happened to so many people!! what a volitile place we live, anything can happen, but prevail you did!!

I intend to watch one film a day or so, once for fun and then serious and objective afterwards. I thought I would post an immediate comment from the fun ride here, and then perhaps the critique on your long form page.

I would perfer to watch a higher res version on vimeo if you post them.

I want to stretch this out and enjoy all your huge efforts as much as possible.

I very much enjoyed Fin-Erics fillm. It kept my interest the entire time (being fundementally attention deficit thats no small feat) and numerous shots were terrific.
Old November 25th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Trustee

O.K. Steve... where IS Ungava anyway? ;-).

What is now very apparent after starting to view the final entries, is that the works in progress snippets were not even hinting at the real glory of these finished films.

Steve, this is a masterpiece. Everything is top notch, from the story line, witty and informative narrative, choice and placement of music to the impeccable camera work and stunning cinematography. It is a scientific achievement and a work of art. I don't know of anyone that can smoothly follow in close up, birds in flight like you have been able to do. Exceptional. Also, the $5 shirt with the bullet hole, albeit a small one, was priceless! :).

Cat
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Cat,

I'm glad you enjoyed the film. I just finished watching yours, and I can't get your images and music out of my head. I've been to Rocky Mountain National Park a couple of times, and was amazed by the big spaces there. I didn't notice the poetry of the place, though, until you pointed it out. Your love of it continues to be obvious. How on earth do you get so close to Bighorn Sheep? I can only see them through a spotting scope.
For the record, Ungava is the pointy north section of Quebec. It has a sister piece of anti-land in the Aleutians called Unalaska.
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #12
Trustee

Thanks Steve for the watch. I looked for the Bighorn the entire year and never saw them until that one time. For some reason, these guys were so lazy and content I think I could have curled up with them as they were sunbathing in the sun! Go figure.

May I ask which movie you watched? The Vimeo version or the UWOL version? My UWOL version was supposed to be a streaming video, which it isn't doing. I didn't think anyone would wait out the long download to view it.

Marj

Your film borders on the stupendous. You perfectly interlaced natural life with animation to describe and explain difficult concepts to visualize. It is breathtaking. This could be a piece for NOVA. The animations are captivating. You also have such a variety of film subjects! I think this could be overlooked somewhat when one is so captivated by the concepts being discussed. Outstanding work.

Cat
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siegel View Post
For the record, Ungava is the pointy north section of Quebec. It has a sister piece of anti-land in the Aleutians called Unalaska.
Duh! I should have remembered that one ;-) Hmm... "a sister piece of anti-land in the Aleutians called Unalaska". I think I may have been there once when I was small. :).

Cat
Old November 25th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #14
Major Player

Hey Cat,

I did watch the UWOL version. It took a while to download, but I took a break while it was happening. It ran beautifully.

I'm sure you have some snow up there, so have a Happy Thanksgiving. We will have our usual one here...indoors, windows shut, with the air conditioning blowing full blast so all of our menopausal relatives don't complain how hot it is. I got to spend a few hours in some snowy mountains two weeks ago. I thought I had died and gone to Currier and Ives heaven.

Steve
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #15
Trustee

Thanks Steve for the reply. I'm thrilled you stuck it out and watched the UWOL version. The Vimeo version is the same movie that Vimeo blew up to a larger size so the resolution is much poorer as a result.

We have had snow, but tomorrow's weather for Thanksgiving will be in the 60's, not much different from you! Your sense of humor in your posts and movie makes me laugh! Have you always been so much fun or is it because you've completed the long form and finals are over?

Cat

P.S. You tell your uncle that he shouldn't take your ribbing to heart and that I think he's handsome.

Now, back to these amazing movies...
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge