Tales of Wonder and Woe UWOL 15 1/2 DIY - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 25th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #16
Major Player

So there I was, sitting out in the snow waiting for crested tits to land exactly where my camera was pointing (and in the end they did) wondering what on earth I could do with "A day in the life" and then it came to me. A day at Glen Feshie, where I am at the moment. I was the last of my free days between stills photography workshops, and I had spent time in each of the hides, and an afternoon along the river getting some scenic and close-up shots. Now all I needed was dawn and dusk. Unfortunately the lovely sunsets of the previous few days had come to an end and the sky was clouding over. Yesterday morning the last of the workshops was to begin, but I thought I might have enough time to get the river with mist rising at dawn. Except that it was snowing and the grey dawn would not fit with the video I had taken the previous two days. And this morning there was a couple of feet of snow on the ground, and again no chance of those dawn shots. Tomorrow is forecast for more of the same, so I guess I'll have to find another subject when I get home. Snowed-in at the moment, so there may be a delay.
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #17
Trustee

Well, I finished the first draft of my script today. The only other time I've taken the time to write a script for UWOL before was for The River. But, I'm trying to take Mat's advice of story being king and try to actually have one.

So, I'll let it percolate for a few days and then come back to it and see how I feel about it.

It's certainly outside the box thinking on this one that's for sure.

So, I have my music, I have a first draft but no footage yet. :)
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #18
Major Player

I'm just wonder (I'm new), can I use a short clip I made before the contest in my video? Its only ~10seconds but fits perfectly with the story I'm trying to tell and I can't reshoot it (it was shot in the ocean on vacation).
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #19
Major Player

You have all had some good luck, I haven't even been able to get out.
Packing taking it's sweet time.
I have the idea, just have to get out and shoot. With lots more snow coming this weekend, I will be able to start.....
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Hay View Post
I'm just wonder (I'm new), can I use a short clip I made before the contest in my video? Its only ~10seconds but fits perfectly with the story I'm trying to tell and I can't reshoot it (it was shot in the ocean on vacation).
Graeme, to answer your question, check out uwol rule nr 5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
These contest rules are re-printed from our dedicated website at: The UWOL Challenge - Wildlife & Outdoor based film competition

5. Material - All material must be original and shot for the purpose of being judged in this contest....[ ]...You retain the rights to your video.
Since this round is an "unofficial do it yourself challenge", and the clip you ask about is a very short one, I suggest you ask Dale, since he's the one running this uwol 15.5 challenge.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Internet has been down for two days.

Graeme, Read the rules and try to adhere to them the best you can.

I personally do not care if you use a few seconds of a clip;

However, the real challenge is doing it in the time frame and we have a month on this one.

Some others have used the odd graphic and such that was not created just for the challenge.
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

Sometimes it never seems to end. I shot some possibly great footage and then the camera would not give me an image through the lens even though it had a screen. Tried everything out there, no avail!!! I had the fx 1000 with me so I carried on and did get a couple shots I will be using. I was specificly looking for slow motion action shots. I have not used this feature yet, but I was really impressed at the 240 frames a second for 6 seconds. I will be working hard to get more of this kind of footage.

To windy to film this morning so here I am.

When I previewed all my h1 footage, everything was out of focus or distorted (conditions were perfect). I took the camera apart, put on the regular lens, all was well. When I reassembled the big lens I noticed the lens was not held firmly and square up to the ef adapter!! Upon inspection of the Lens and the ef adapter I noticed a screw was missing out of the bayonet ring and the ring was loose on the adapter. I tightened all the other screws up and it worked again!!!

I went out for two hours today but it was to sunny, a balmy -2 degrees and using the telephoto I had all kinds of heat wave distortion coming off the snow!!! I shot a few test shots and it is back in action. I took a slo motion of a white tailed Jack rabbit at a full run in slo motion., not the most aesthetic shot in the world but pretty cool. Only wished the feature was for 15 seconds!!!
Below is the first real effort as using the slo mo on the fx 1000, shot yesterday.

kevin, listen to the rythm of the falling rain doesn't suit but I played my version I did not use back when you mentioned this tune just for fun. I need a snow song I guess.

Having fun,

Dale

Last edited by Dale Guthormsen; February 27th, 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #23
Major Player

Dale,

What are you useing/ how are you manageing to record slow mo with the H1

Mick

Last edited by Mick Jenner; February 27th, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #24
Major Player

I'm on the south coast of a Hawaiian island and the sirens have been going off since dawn.
The tsunami is supposed to hit in 2 1/2 hours. I'm looking for higher ground, and hoping for a day in the life of a non-event.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Mick,

the slo mo was with a sony fx 1000, not the H1!!

I have not done any post work on this type of footage yet, such as deinterlacing and changing frame rate, or doing a further time stretch by deinterlacing with interpolation and then messing with velocity.

dale
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #26
Major Player

Thankfully the big waves passed us by. Now it's time to get back to work on UWOL 15.5.
I need to find some rabbits around here, that's some pretty good footage from
D. Guthormsen. Reminds me of the old Disney nature documentaries we'd watch in grade school.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #27
Major Player

Hi Bill,

Pleased to hear that nothing too bad came your way

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Bill, good to hear the tsunami didn't do any damage.

Dale, I'm impressed how you always seem to find all the animals out in the wild.
I have a hard time finding anything but lots of footprints in the snow.
The rabbits, foxes... they must be pretty good hiding from me.
Looking forward to see your slow motion shots!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #29
Trustee

Bill, I'm glad to hear everything turned out well.

OK, then.
My weekend off didn't turn out the way I thought it would. Do they ever?
Had to step in for a colleague with the flu, so no videoing for me as I planned.
I did managed to catch a photo og the sunset.
Eh, how I wish I had some days off :/
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe UWOL 15 1/2 DIY-fjorden-2.jpg  
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #30
Major Player

I got some filming done today, I'll have to check it out over the week and fill in the blanks where I can.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge