UWOL # 16 - Mat Thompson - Highland Journeys - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 7th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane Silliker View Post
Am I the only one to see the error message in the Vimeo window? It says there was a problem converting this video.
Same here, but I viewed it with the mp4 link.
Great stuff Mat, was that around Ardnamurchan? Think I recognised a few places as I lived there for 10 years!

Per, Sea Eagle at the end, they're just starting to become a feature in the Highlands again after nearly 100 years' absence.

As for camera, I seem to remember you've got a JVC Mat?

Keep up the good work.

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #17
Trustee

Hi everyone and thanks forthe comment and critique.

RE- Camera black setup. Yes I am in the process of setting up a different recipe for shooting blacks in more of a flat way when needed.

Mike - I think you are talking about the Pine Marten. - Lots more footage of her to come :-)

Per - Indislider - A great piece of kit but very heavy and combersome. Maybe good for 1km away from vehicle with other kit on a day shoot.

Steve - Certainly is the Ardnamurchan area and what a gobsmackingly beautiful place it is, where did you live exactly. I've actually just got back from a second week up there hence why I haven't been around. Yes its shot with the JVC HD 110. 25p and 50p for the sand martins. If it just had 720/50p, a cache mode + hdmi out (for nanoflash) it would be perfect I think! - But hey for now it does the job. Many people put down the Fuji x16 lens it comes with but if you shoot within its constraints I think its vey good.

Cheers
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Yes, Mat, no issues with the Fujinon in this clip. What telephoto are you using - not all with the Fujinon presumably?
I lived in Achnaha and Kilchoan at the far West of the Peninsula for many years, still get back there fairly regularly. I know you like your macro and insects, Ariundle woods is a hotspot for the Chequered Skipper as you're probably aware - their flight period must be around now is it?
Think I asked this before, but have you considered the HM700? Would probably tick all the boxes on you wish list.
Steve
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #19
Trustee

Steve - Yep one of the targets this time was the Chequered Skipper, you'd never believe they were so rare. We had over 10 on one of the days. Also shot Marsh Frittilary a butterfly I've always wanted to see, what a stunner! Oh and to finish off the Lepidoptera nice shots of Bee Hawks!

I'm jealous what a fantastic place to live!

Yep I'd like the HM700. To be honest I'd rather it was tape based though. - I've been toying with a older HD201 then adding a nano down the line. It would tick all the boxes too but I don't know whether its just false economy on the whole.

Tele is a very cheap purchased Nikon 100-300 5.6. I find it sharp but colour rendition isn't great and abberations come through in some conditions. I have just bought an 80-400 (4.5-5.6) VR, this was a punt to be honest as I'm always sceptical about big zoom ranges but it seems great. Very sharp to 300mm, beyond which wind/heat shimmer and other things are all to bigger issues anyway, its colour is great and no abberations as yet seen. Oh also picked up a 300mm F4 ED....mind blowing images, but how usefull unless the subject is very 'set' I'm not sure.
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #20
Inner Circle

All good points. And regarding tape, I think a lot of people, despite the obvious advantages, realise after using cards that the archiving is such a pain. There's a lot to be said for just whipping a tape out and sticking it on the shelf - this is why a lot of folks like the XDCam disc system, sort of best of both worlds.
I wonder if the industry will shift back to a tape a bit? Probably not, even the HDCam SR format looks like it'll steer to solid state soon (with the upgrade path for the Sony SRW9000 announced a while back).
Steve

ps, Ardnamurchan has it's downside though - it's called winter!
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #21
Major Player

Mat
Nicely done, enjoyed watching
Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #22
Trustee

Hi guys

Well eventually I've fixed the vimeo link. I've also played with the contrast/gamma levels so you'll find a bit more detail in the blacks I think.

Cheers
Mat
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #23
Trustee

Matt, I just watched your video. It was beautiful. The rolling hills and abundant wildlife in the area must make it a wonderful place to live. I think the music matched the mood of the video. Very well done and congradulations on winning. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge