DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL # 16 - Mat Thompson - Highland Journeys (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/479464-uwol-16-mat-thompson-highland-journeys.html)

Mat Thompson May 26th, 2010 04:58 PM

UWOL # 16 - Mat Thompson - Highland Journeys

Hi guys

I hope you enjoy my little film as much as I enjoyed spending the time up there shooting it! - As usual critique is always very welcome....rip it up! :-)

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...ndjourneys.mp4

Cheers
Mat

Mike Sims May 26th, 2010 08:50 PM

Hi Mat. It’s really difficult to “rip up” something this well crafted, but I’ll give it a go at being picky. Perhaps a bit too much slider work for a piece this length? On some of the slider shots you do a dissolve into the static shot it is cut against. I think this is done to denote a change in location but it is very effective in smoothing the transition also. On the cuts where you don’t dissolve perhaps use an ease in or ease out of the moving shot? Instead of a fade to black preceding that first low light grouse shot would a gradual ramp down in brightness be effective? Hmmm. Enough of that. I really enjoyed this. Loved the goosanders. Also, anyone that comes home with otter footage earns a gold star in my book! Very nice video.

Chris Swanberg May 26th, 2010 09:58 PM

Wow... what beautiful images you put into this piece. Especially in the beginning the color and saturation of the landscapes was marvelous. Your wildlife captures were excellent as well. Nicely edited.

I enjoyed the music as well, and your VO was very appropriate for the piece.

In all a very enjoyable 3 minutes... I wished it could have gone on longer.

Chris S.

Ryan Farnes May 26th, 2010 10:08 PM

Mat, some of the sequences seemed very polished, like a television program. Evidence of good shooting and editing. Really strong assortment of wildlife and well executed framing and camera operation throughout.

Good luck in the judging.

Dale Guthormsen May 27th, 2010 08:58 AM

Mat,

Beatuifully done!

When I first watched this I thought there was one clip I would have left out, the grouse jumps up and the frame cuts its head off. However, after watching the second time I felt differently in that I'd rather have the close up than be distant and have it all and be safe!! I know all about filming grouse in the low light of dawn and I think you did a great job on the Lek!!!

I was wondering if the camera you were shooting with could allow you to adjust the gamma so that the blacks were not quite as saturated, I would have liked to see a little more detail on the cocks!!!

Your script and voice over were Top shelf!! Particularly the chatter of the martin part and the dawn of the silloutte of the grouse!!! Well conceived!!

thak you ever so much for sharing and taking the time!!

Oh yea, what is the yellow breasted bird?>?

Mike Beckett May 27th, 2010 10:59 AM

Mat,

My God, that opening shot was beautiful! What can I say? I love Scotland.

And if I thought your scenic shots were excellent, that was nothing compared to the wildlife. The mink (was it a mink? stoat?) close-up was stunning, as was the Yellowhammer. And the deer by the Loch - man, are you heading for clichés here? Just kidding, it was wonderful.

Love the Sand Martins. We have a colony close to home here on an abandoned building site, but I couldn't work them into a film this time. I love the thought that they're flying round Africa and one day someone says "right lads, let's go to Antrim!".

The grouse sequence was lovely too, the ritual dance was almost like a Highland Jig.

Just perfect.

Trond Saetre May 27th, 2010 02:57 PM

Hi Mat,

As always, you produce quality film! Opening sequence was a winner.
Great framing, the nice colors, the VO and music, it all made this great to watch.
Keep up your good work.

btw, The vimeo version here won't play. Said "failure to convert this video."
Not sure if it is only me, or you might have problem with it.

Bill Thesken May 27th, 2010 03:13 PM

Mat, I tried to find something to critique per your instructions, but couldn't find a single fault!
The first shot especially, and some others here and there looked like they were shot with 35mm film. Excellent dynamic range, and I'm wondering what camera you used. Great VO & some smooth pans. I'll watch it again. BT

Annie Haycock May 29th, 2010 05:02 PM

Wow, that's a pretty stunning 3 minutes! My only complaint is that you almost drowned out the song of the yellowhammer at the beginning. And I'm envious of you getting pine marten footage.

Marj Atkins May 31st, 2010 09:25 AM

Very nice Mat. Good to see a film done in bonny Scotland - we need to see more of this magnificent country on UWOL! You found a wonderful selection of animals and birds while up there – all masterfully filmed.

I know I have said this before but you might like to check your black settings - I found your film quite dark compared with the rest of the entries here.

Mike Sims May 31st, 2010 06:48 PM

OK, I’m officially eating crow! Not only did my feeble attempt to emulate Mat’s impeccable critique technique fall well short of the mark but, I seem to have made a grievous factual error. Apparently this video has exactly the correct amount of slider work as it has achieved a subtle effect. It has got me finally off the fence. I ordered parts to build a slider today. Way to go Mat. ; )
( And I say it again- very nice video.)

Chris Swanberg June 4th, 2010 04:36 PM

Mat, congratulations for your win this round! It was, as the above comments attest, a well deserved win.

Enjoy your victory!

Chris Swanberg

Per Johan Naesje June 5th, 2010 12:38 PM

Mat, what can I say except wow!

That opening scene was just breathtaking. The slider work was beautiful done. And what beautiful colors!

You also got some not so common seen species on your trip. Cool that you also got the Pine Marten in daylight, that is not very common! And the Lek was nice to watch. Quite nice scenery they was playing at! As other commented the Black Grouse was a bit too black, a black stretch could maybe help next time you are filming them. It´s not at all easy to expose them correctly if they are in a very light environment without burning out the whites.

One note on the editing: the opening music was to my taste a bit too load from 0:21 to 1:00. Wish some more ambient sound, I think I heard a Cuckoo but cause of the load music I´m not sure!

Was it a Golden Eagle or White Tailed Eagle in the end of the piece?

To Dale: believe it´s an Yellowhammer - Yellowhammer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia a very common bird at least in Northern part of Europe.

Congrats a lot Mat to a very stunning piece and to the First Price!

Edit: BTW, what kind of slider did you use in your opening shot?

Thane Silliker June 6th, 2010 10:21 AM

Am I the only one to see the error message in the Vimeo window? It says there was a problem converting this video.

Marj Atkins June 7th, 2010 01:45 AM

Hi Thane - Mat still hasn't sorted it, but you can see these films by going here if you wish.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-cha...temp-page.html