UWOL 17 Tales of wonder and Woe! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 15th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #31
Wrangler

Colorado has been ablaze with wildfires and I thought that would be a great subject for RENEWAL, but they shut down access for many miles. All I could see was a lot of smoke. So that didn't work out. I did manage a couple of stills from the plume of smoke engulfing my studio.

...my tale of wonder this round has nothing to do with shooting anything yet...but I did manage to take a trip to Cat's ranch and meet her 42 animals and get head-butted by several love-starved goats. Cat clearly needs to pay more attention to them and doesn't spoil them enough. Fun times. Don't let her bantam rooster hook you in the leg, if you go.

UWOL is all about the journey.
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL 17 Tales of wonder and Woe!-47129_426067212132_678902132_5458028_4881985_n.jpg  
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #32
Trustee

Ha Meryem!

The joy of your visit was all mine! You failed to mention you barely escaped the fierce attack of our two love starved Chinese guard geese, Yin and Yang ... but I understand your grace in not having me look too callus to a group of tree huggers ;-)

Sorry you missed a visit with Cloe, my crippled chicken, who was detained, basking in the shade underneath the sunflowers in our garden.

Sheesh! No one gets old on this farm but me and Ed!

You are going to have to visit with your comments on this site in the future, you are just too much to lose all together!

Cat

P.S. Wow! What a photo, but for heaven's sake who named it????
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #33
Major Player

Another great UWOL get-together!

I'm out of this one - absolutely no time to take the video never mind edit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Thesken View Post
Looks like a big hair and some dust, tough luck. Hey Dale I'm filming some timelapse clouds also, got a couple of sequences, and am trying to frame objects like a mountain or tree in the foreground to add some perspective. It's tough with my XHA1 since I have to speed the footage up a few times, and am wondering what would be a good inexpensive camera that would make timelapse easier.

Bill - You already own one! Use the GoPro. It has an intervalometer and the GoPro will give you a super wide angle shot!

(Set it to take photos every 5 (or 10) seconds. Leave it running approx 20 mins for every 10 seconds of video required. If you don’t have a tripod mount for the GoPro use your home-made handle and cable-tie it to a tripod or other fixed object. Because it has such a wide angle watch out for moving branches etc. towards the sides when setting up. It would be better to use a still object in the frame for your perspective.

Bring the images into your timeline as a series, resize it and render as a movie. You may have to interpret the footage. You may also have to experiment to get good results. If your movie flickers, Virtual Dub and Deflick (free software) should sort it out.)

Dale – something worth trying if you can’t recapture similar footage – Import the footage into After Effects then duplicate it in the timeline. On the top layer draw a mask around each problem area (keep it very tight). Feather the mask a small amount to soften the edges slightly. Move the bottom layer a fraction to the left or right to fill in the missing bits. Not sure if it will work but would be interesting to find out.

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #34
Major Player

I am also out of this one.

I had a great idea, but the weather would not co-operate.
I may still shoot it a little latewr and post it afterwards, for some critique.

Sam
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #35
Major Player

Thanks Marj, you are absolutely right. I've been thinking of using that camera for a time lapse, and I think I'll give it a shot.
I'll have to figure out how to 'import as image sequence' in Vegas.
I'm trying something a little off the wall to tell my story, which could be a good thing.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #36
Major Player

Woe!

I was feeling pretty good because I was almost through. I came in after shooting my last shot this morning ready to finish editing when my system drive failed. It’s a WD Blue caviar less than six months old. Hmmm. I have a disc image (and all the data drives with the project are OK) so if I can source a replacement locally tomorrow I might be able to finish, but I’m no longer feeling good. It seems like my hardware failures always correspond with looming UWOL deadlines! I hope no one else is having difficulties and everyone is on track to finish. Good-luck (and no stress) all!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #37
Trustee

Hi Mike:

Sorry to hear about the drive .... I hope things get worked out tomorrow. Looking forward to what you have brewing! You always have neat things to serve up to get us all inspired.

Cat
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #38
Major Player

Now I'm in over my head. Took the GoPro out and got some great timelapse shots, set the timer for 2 seconds per shot and let it run. Now I have my first sequence of 380 JPEGs on a vegas timeline with no idea how to resize so they run 30 frames per second. Currently they are each 5 seconds per frame. Here comes a learning curve.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #39
Major Player

Hi Bill

I am not familiar with Vegas but in PPro you click only on the first .jpg of the sequence and then tick the little box that says "Numbered stills".

This brings all the images that are numbered consecutively into the project as a clip not as a series of 6 second stills.

As the dimensions of the .jps are very large I usually scale this clip to the correct size in the effects control panel (you can do this before you import if you wish). I then render it as a movie and get rid of the original .jpg clip. Hope this helps.

You may have to squeeze it a bit if you took the frames at 2 sec interval rather than 5-10 sec interval for clouds. People walking are fine at 2 sec. interval.

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
Hi Trond,

Feel better soon! It sounds really challenging getting up to speed for a new air traffic control position at a new airport... I can see why filming might take a back seat this round. Hope you get something in!
Yes, the amount of theory (local rules and regulations) I have to memorize is huge. Imagine a couple hundred pages. That's basically all I'm doing these days. But I enjoy every day at work anyway.
Forecasted lots of rain the next days as well, but I haven't given up the hope to get something/anything on tape yet. Maybe the renewal theme is my eyes turning square from all the reading?
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

With all the serious work being done this round I might have to not post mine!!

My original theme was brought to an end due to the weather. I decided to go with the weather and use it.

Mine is totally not serious, perhaps a bit of humor, totally different than anything I have ever done in some regards.

Perhaps a small child would enjoy it.

Hummmmmmmm???!!!!!

Tronde,

Fligth control??? No STRESSS there, eh??

Marge, thanks for the idea!!!!
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Hi Dale, yes I have a 10 years anniversary as an air traffic controller now.
Stress? Sometimes, but not as much as most people like to think. I love it!
(would be even more fun if I could find time for uwol too!!) but I should not have a bad day in the office.
Seems like we are battling wih the same sucky weather. Hope you succeed.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #43
Trustee

[QUOTE=
With all the serious work being done this round I might have to not post mine!!

[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding Dale? Looking forward to it! Maybe that's how it can fit the "renewal" theme.... it will be a "refreshing" change to what others are doing. HA!

About that rain problem of yours and Trond's... we'll take some, we are desperate for a drop around here.

Cat
Old September 17th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #44
Major Player

OK, I got my system back up and I’m still hoping to finish. Lots of time left…
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Good to hear you got it fixed, Mike. I look forward to see your film.
If only the rain here would go away... Still plenty of time left. :)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge