DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 17 Tales of wonder and Woe! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/484139-uwol-17-tales-wonder-woe.html)

Mike Sims September 21st, 2010 04:38 PM

OK, I just uploaded a file. I was ready to do so last night when I noticed a typo in the credits. It was an easy less-than-a-minute fix, but, I spent all day today trying to get it to render out. The first eleven tries crashed before finishing. I finally got it to render, but it neither looks as good nor plays as smoothly as the original render with the typo. I used the same exact settings; I saved them as a preset. I rendered it three more times with the same result. Each of the four have glitches in different places. I did get one acceptable file out, but it was 60.7 Mb! Grrr… I finally uploaded the least offensive of the four. Since there is still some time, I may try again, but at this point I’m frustrated and I really hate compression… and where is that Adobe Media Encoder update we were promised would be available “tomorrow” a month ago?

I hope everyone is finishing, finished, or at least in a better state of mind than I am at the moment. Phui!

Kevin Railsback September 21st, 2010 04:53 PM

Yeah, compression can really take the polish off of a film.
Can you compress a version for Vimeo so we can see it with a better compression after judging?

Catherine Russell September 21st, 2010 05:01 PM

Hey Mike:

If it were up to me, I would turn a blind eye to the .7 mb on the file that turned out okay. It's close enough! Sorry about all of the hassle.

Cat

Dale Guthormsen September 21st, 2010 06:57 PM

Wats da impertence of spellun anyhoo?

Oh yea, Mike definitely make a full res vimeo version!!

Mike Sims September 21st, 2010 09:18 PM

Thanks guys!- and sorry about that. I just needed to vent some frustration and the dogs were getting tired of hearing about it. I managed to make a better file and just uploaded again. Could you please make sure the new file is the one linked to, Kevin? I have a larger file ready to link to in my feedback thread. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s videos!

Oh, I also figured out why Media Encoder kept crashing. Ironically, it was trying to update in mid render.

Kevin Railsback September 21st, 2010 09:25 PM

Mike,

Just checked the queue and replaced your new file so it's all ready to go.

So hopefully Mat will be around tomorrow to put up the downloads page.

Mike Sims September 22nd, 2010 08:20 AM

Thanks, Kevin! I think Mat has been pretty busy lately.

Catherine Russell September 22nd, 2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sims (Post 1571637)
Oh, I also figured out why Media Encoder kept crashing. Ironically, it was trying to update in mid render.

Oh! Now that's a common problem, that is... I'm surprised you didn't think of that sooner Mike ;-)

Looking forward to the films guys!

Cat

Mike Beckett September 23rd, 2010 10:26 AM

I'm still planning to do a non-competitive entry... just back from Scotland with lots of lochs, mist, timelapses and a few creatures. No time to edit though, I'm off again on my travels for another week or two.

So I may just be very late!

Meryem Ersoz September 23rd, 2010 10:38 AM

do it, do it, do it...

anyone who wants to throw up a late, for-fun entry this round is welcome. the more the merrier...