UWOL 17 Tales of wonder and Woe! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #16
Wrangler

go find yourself some young birds, Dale, and you can shoot what you love and hit the theme....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #17
Trustee

My story goes from Point A to Point B. But, I'm worried that the way I get there is too much of a cliche.
I have an alternate way to get there but I'm not sure if I can pull it off without it totally looking hokey.

So, not sure if I can come up with a different way to show what is happening without it looking cliche.

Frustrating because I think I have a good story idea. I've already shot some good visuals. Just don't know if I can pull it off in a new way that looks good and not have everyone say I saw that coming from the get go.
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #18
Major Player

Kevin,

It's not a murder mistery is it? I can alway see those coming.

Anyway, hope you pull it off. I'm still wondering how to turn my rain, rain, rain in to a story. Anyone seen an ark?
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #19
Major Player

If you find one, float by and pick me up too, Vic! We had a foot and a half of runoff in the yard several times today. There are branches down from every tree. When it finally dries up enough I’ll have a couple of days of clean up. Fun. At least I can stop worrying about everything dying from lack of rain for a while! (and just get on with worrying about such UWOL related problems like how do you go about getting footage of a species that has been extinct for 100 years…)
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Good evening,

I finally came up with a plan, bt boy have we had a lot of turbulent non filming weather lately!!!

lightening thunder and rain as I write this.

Dale
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #21
Major Player

Lightning and Thunder and Rain you say?
That's some fine footage to get if you can capture it.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Bill,

Clouds so thick you could barely see the lightening flashes, kind of strange really.

My topic has stayed the same and should still fall in the theme, just have gone in a slightly different direction.

I was out for a couple hours in the rain today and have about 15 minutes of footage. some may even be useful!

I lost one camera to water in the past so I am being extremely careful!!!

I am heading out in a few minutes to collect audio.

Dale
Old September 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #23
Trustee

Jamming to a local Des Moines band The Nadas and doing some pulldown removal of some recent footage for the challenge.

Going to try and nail my key shot tomorrow. Hope it looks even half as good as I see it in my head!!

Really diggin this challenge. I'll be happy if it's even a little close to how I see it.
Old September 11th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #24
Major Player

I had really hoped to complete this challenge. I'd taken an extended time off from video due to an injury last year, and this was my inspiration to finally get back to it. But en route to the west coast for a short trip, hoping to get some new and different material, my camcorder stopped working. So I will need to get a new one soon before I can get back into video again. Hopefully by the time the next challenge rolls around, I will be well away from the shark tank. I will check back to see the results. And good luck with all your upcoming projects, Meryem. Thanks for all the years of running this, it's been fun.
Old September 12th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #25
Trustee

I'm off to Scotland with my camera and a lighweight tripod on Tuesday... I'll be late completing this, so no judging for my entry, but I want to get a "swansong" for our Dear Leader. Er, but without any swans.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Howdy Doody Time,

can you top this?. Went out to shoot some timelapse. checked everything over, cleaned lens, set to proper setting pressed record and sat down in the truck out of the weather. when finished I loaded up and went home.

when capturing this is what I got:

Nice eh?? Can you san RESHOOT.
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL 17 Tales of wonder and Woe!-screen-grab.jpg  
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #27
Major Player

Looks like a big hair and some dust, tough luck. Hey Dale I'm filming some timelapse clouds also, got a couple of sequences, and am trying to frame objects like a mountain or tree in the foreground to add some perspective. It's tough with my XHA1 since I have to speed the footage up a few times, and am wondering what would be a good inexpensive camera that would make timelapse easier.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #28
Inner Circle

My challenge so far... get rid of a (not so bad) lung infection. Read a couple hundred pages of rules and regulations for work. Feeling like a student again. Lots of new stuff to learn.
Hopefully I can find time to start thinking about uwol this weekend.
(And a big challenge: Try to convince my camera that rain doesn't hurt)

Hope you all are doing well.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #29
Trustee

Finally getting a chance to work on the story for my film.
Stuck about halfway at the moment.

Hopefully inspiration will strike soon!
Old September 15th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #30
Trustee

Hi Trond,

Feel better soon! It sounds really challenging getting up to speed for a new air traffic control position at a new airport... I can see why filming might take a back seat this round. Hope you get something in!

Hey Dale,

Have you ever used the software called Mokey? It is a state of the art object removal software that could take care of the hair in your video footage. It happens to be really expensive, but they let you use a free trial version which is the full software with a water mark. You might want to try it out. I've tested a few things with it... there is a high learning curve, but oh well, what isn't?

Kevin! You are the mystery man this round. What ARE YOU UP TO?

Ruth, I am so sorry you won't be able to participate this time. I'll fire off an email soon to catch up with news. It's been so long!

Okay, I have a major question for all of you UWOLer's, but I think it warrants another thread.... so I'll post a new one now.

Have fun, all!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge