UWOL 18 Tales of Wonder & Woe - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 5th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #16
Trustee

Hey guys:

I'm glad to see the dialog starting to roll and from the posts, it looks like exciting and interesting things are happening with your work.

One rather amusing thing I have discovered with hosting a forum for the first time is how I've had to resist the temptation of entering in and commenting on every post! How silly is that? Quite frankly, this is your forum about the progress of your films and what I could possibly have to say is quite irrelevant! Personally, I think an effective host is someone who sets things up and then STEPS OUT OF THE WAY to let it roll.

Just know that I am here and I am taking a keen interest in your posts. I'll enter in at times when it is time for me to do so. In the mean time...

Have at it guys! Your talents simply inspire me! You raise the bar for me, and I am a better filmmaker because of it.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #17
Major Player

Ah, yes. The second-hand mack attack. Tantalizing indeed! Say Mat, when you slow down a bit will you please go to the challenge website and correct the information in the film vault about UWOL 17? I guess all UWOL Mikes should wear a name tag! No rush. Ta.

I finally have a somewhat workable idea. I have a rough shot list and will refine it tonight. I think it may be a little gimmicky, but I’ll do my best with it. Unfortunately, it includes some of the kind of shots that I dread most- me on camera. I will try to write those out. (As in have mercy on you viewers.)
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #18
Trustee

Oooppps, sorry fella. Got my Mikes confused, all fixed :-)
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #19
Major Player

No worries. I expect you may have had a bit of excitement on your mind of late. Thanks again.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Yay, I got my footage today. Was out and about for a couple hours this morning. Had a great plan all worked out in advance. Well, a plan is only valid until it is time to execute it, right. So plans quickly changed. But still I think I can make something useful out of what I have. Some locations were only possible handheld, but that only adds to the challenge.

Hope you all do well!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #21
Regular Crew

One plan down and one to go

Well plan #1 is "down the drain." Went to the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge which is a wintering site for ducks and geese. There must have been over 200,00 ducks and geese there (Nov-Feb is the busy season). Unfortunately photographic access if pretty limited and I quickly realized I need a MUCH longer lens. It's an interesting location (rule #11 applies) and I'll keep it in mind in the future if I get a longer lens.

So on to plan #2. I'm just not sure if I'll have time to get the shots I need for this one.
Rich Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Your plan 1 seem to be very interesting, Rich!
If you get that longer lense later, it would be cool to see a film from that location.

Good luck with plan 2! You can do it!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ryan View Post
Well plan #1 is "down the drain." Went to the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge which is a wintering site for ducks and geese. There must have been over 200,00 ducks and geese there (Nov-Feb is the busy season). Unfortunately photographic access if pretty limited and I quickly realized I need a MUCH longer lens. It's an interesting location (rule #11 applies) and I'll keep it in mind in the future if I get a longer lens.

So on to plan #2. I'm just not sure if I'll have time to get the shots I need for this one.
Rich:

Much closer for you is the Cosumnes River Preserve, in Thornton, CA. Should be teeming this bird this month. Here is website:

Cosumnes River Preserve

Shot this UWOL entry there:

Old November 7th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Well,

It looks like everyone is pretty much on task and getting some shots and going after others.

We were out shooting this morning for a few hours to try and get a specific behavior. I can get it if I do not zoom in to close, but I am after close up footqage of it. Rather eratic and hard to get when you are are on the far side of the lens without undue eratic camera behavior too!!!

We did get one unexpected subject to use in the video. Hope to get more up close and personal in the forth coming days!!

How can one top a pupal emergence?? I better spend a lot more time out there and hope for something unusual.

Dale
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #25
Major Player

Finally got a nice sunny day, but it seems my hoped-for subjects were mostly killed off by the cold weather we had in October (while I was on vacation in the sun). So now I'm looking at plan B, but the forecast is dire this week. I might soon be formulating plan C!!
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #26
Wrangler

Back (just barely) from a big shoot last week and very happy to see UWOL #18 rockin' and rollin' - fantastic job rallying everybody, Cat...creepers, pupae, pink yeti - it's all great to see.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Rich:

Much closer for you is the Cosumnes River Preserve, in Thornton, CA. Should be teeming this bird this month. Here is website:

Cosumnes River Preserve
Chris,

Thanks I wasn't aware of Cosumnes, it looks like a nice location to put on my list.

I was in Chico for the weekend, so the Sacramento NWR seemed like a good choice. I was undecided between Sacramento NWR and the Department of Fish and Game "Gray Lodge" site. Since I hadn't been to either I tossed a coin. While the NWR is interesting, it has limited photo opportunities since you are restricted to your car for most of the site. I suspect that Gray Lodge would not have had the same problems and I would have been much better of there - "oh well, maybe next time."

I'm going to be restricted to sites much closer to home for the duration of this challenge; I have some sites in mind but this is not the best time of year for them.
Rich Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Three main shooting places for Consumnes. First is a river walk, with a lot of different shooting opportunities, depending on when you go. This is on same side of road as the Main Visitor center. Second is across the road from the center, through wetland ponds area, with concrete and boardwalk walkways. Third is just north of the center, across railroad tracks. This is a road which has ponds on both sides. Shooting distances are greater here, but that is where I shot most of the Sandhill crane film.
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #29
Trustee

Hi all:

I had my own bit of wonder two days ago when a female (immature?) Northern Goshawk caught a rabbit for breakfast in our "backyard". She was so enthralled with dinner, she let me film her up close for a long time.

Like Marj's emerging pupae, this sort of thing just doesn't happen all that often!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL 18 Tales of Wonder & Woe-ngh1sm.jpg   UWOL 18 Tales of Wonder & Woe-ngh2sm.jpg  

Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Cat,

Definitely an immature female goshawk!!!

Was out yesterday for most of the day but sunrise was the inspiration. I attached a screen grab of reduced quality obviously, and this was not the best part of the sunrise.

I have plenty of video, just need to sort out the approach to the theme!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL 18 Tales of Wonder & Woe-sunrise-2.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge