UWOL 18 Tales of Wonder & Woe - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM   #76
Trustee

But now it's raining again. :)
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:24 PM   #77
Trustee

Cat, ho ho ho my little squeeze to get some more hours :-)

Well, I´m finished editing, rendering as I speak. Had to open a bottle of VSOP Cocnac, this is my first entry for over a year. Cheers everybody!
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM   #78
Major Player

Now, that's the stuff, Per.

I don't have any Cognac handy, but I'll join you with a bottle Moose Drool beer from Jackson, Wyoming.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:12 PM   #79
Trustee

Nice Steve, I´m finished uploading. Think I need one more Cocnac before bedtime :-)

In Norway we say - one Cocnac in every leg, so this must be three for me... ...sorry Cat, this was a bit nasty ;-)
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:40 PM   #80
Major Player

Thanks for that. Now I can legitimately use the phrase rolling on the floor laughing! I’m now rendering. And rendering. And rendering. And rendering…
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 07:53 PM   #81
Trustee

Thanks Per for that one. Personally I never understood why I couldn't ever handle more than two glasses of cognac... now I finally know. Just know that we are THRILLED to have you back with us after such a long time!

Keep at it Mike! Still lots of time!

Looking forward to everyone's entry! I'm sensing some really good ones in the making.

Cat

Last edited by Catherine Russell; November 21st, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:04 AM   #82
Major Player

I’ve always interpreted the deadline like Per Johan did- midnight at the International Dateline. I was just joking about the awkward way the rule is worded.

Well, I managed to finish a video! It’s not the one I would have wanted to make (five months after paying for it I’m still waiting for a part backordered by the manufacturer). It’s not the one I started out to do. (That one was on the scale of human perception and would have featured shots of the same organism from ten kilometers to one one-hundredth of a millimeter and been titled “Ten Orders of Magnitude”. I was unable to get all the shots for it after some unexpected work came my way.) Still, it’s a finished video and now uploaded before deadline. I didn’t break Bill’s fifteen hour record (nor my camera and I sure hope Bill’s is going to be OK) but, because I rushed it, I made more than a few mistakes. It should be titled “One Day Wonder”- but it isn’t! After rendering eleven times I finally got a file that plays (it doesn’t look so good in places) but is 60.5 Mb. I know others have gotten permission for being a fraction of a megabyte over in the past, so I’m hoping Cat will allow it. If I had more time I’m sure I could have eventually gotten a file below 60 Mb that actually played without error. Oh, well…

The title is in Greek, but the uploader kept crashing with Greek characters in the file name. I anglicized the file name and it went right up. What a bore.

P.S. Someone keep reminding me to never again write a tongue-twister for voice over.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:07 AM   #83
Major Player

Hello everyone...
I got a film together and uploaded last night... It become 61 mb, but the computer I was editigt on was so slow that it took nerly 1 hour to export the 3 min film. And after 6 miss exportings I was out of time and energy. I hope it's ok...
Well, I'm happy that I finished... Haven't finish an entry in a long time... This time not that much UW, but some shot.

Cheers!
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #84
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
I’ve always interpreted the deadline like Per Johan did- midnight at the International Dateline. I was just joking about the awkward way the rule is worded.
I always interpreted the rule to mean: you look at the clock in your house, wherever you are in the world, and when it reads midnight, that is your deadline.

it's all honor code anyway, because the contest coordinator wakes up, drinks a little coffee, ponders the day, checks email, looks to see if Kevin has checked the uploads, yawns, feeds the dog, and then looks at the number of finishers...if you slip it in before all that happens, you are the only one who will ever know.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #85
Trustee

Meryem & Cat, I stand corrected, sorry for misleading the community! Happy that I managed to get my entry uploaded, even if it was + 2 hours of deadline (local time)
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #86
Wrangler

in theory, Per, I suppose your interpretation is the correct one...in practice, I suppose the practical deadline is the morning after midnight, Mountain Standard Time, since Cat and I both live in the same time zone...and I have a dog to feed and she has goats...

...the fun part of coordinating a contest with such a far reach is knowing that we are doing things at radically different times of the day and night and still have it all happen in one place. right here...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #87
Trustee

Make that.....

WAY in the morning after the deadline (MST). I not only have goats, but a cat, donkeys, MANY chickens, ducks, geese and a Guinea fowl.... not to mention any one that needs special attention at the moment (right now it's two chickens: Nikki and Cloe). You would think my husband would be in here somewhere as well, but alas, he is up and out way before the sun rises, always starting my day by handing me a cup of coffee before he heads out before I can even crack and eye.

So when Meryem said you were in good hands...
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #88
Inner Circle

CAt,

If you moved north you could sleep in even longer before sunrise!!!! Doesn't sound so early that way!!
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #89
Trustee

Now there's a thought, Dale!
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #90
Major Player

...But if you move to much north, the sun never sets... ;)
Markus Nord is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge