DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   The Charity Challenge is Coming Up, Any Input? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/487731-charity-challenge-coming-up-any-input.html)

Catherine Russell November 19th, 2010 01:58 PM

The Charity Challenge is Coming Up, Any Input?

Hi everyone:

I fully understand that you are all working hard to finish your films and this may not be the best time for a post concerning yet another challenge! But!

The annual, joint DV/UWOL Charity Challenge is coming up in December and Lorinda and I would love to have some input from the UWOL folks as to whether or not you have the marathon stamina to participate this year since it will be squeezed very tightly between UWOL Challenges 18 and 19. The sign up thread for UWOL 19 will open December 22 and the theme will be announced the 1st or 2nd of January.

I personally hope that we can rally a few of us UWOLers to consider entering in and keeping the tradition of a joint venture between the UWOL and DV Challenges alive. Remember, The DV folks tend to forget over the course of a year that we might actually have talent as filmmakers to film other and more challenging things besides rocks! Can we actually allow this misconception to continue for another year? Not to mention that it's always for a great cause!

So feedback is most welcome. Are you up for participating and keeping the joint venture alive this year? Or do you absolutely hands down need a break before gearing up for UWOL Challenge 19? Let us know what you think.

Cat

Bill Thesken November 19th, 2010 02:17 PM

Last years charity challenge was due:
11:59 p.m. MST on Sunday, January 10, 2010.

If the timeline is similar, then Jan.10, 2011 the charity challenge will be due, and approx. Jan. 23, 2011 the UWOL #19 will be due.

I'm up for both. I seem to recall last years charity winner as a crazed fruit cake come to life.

Catherine Russell November 19th, 2010 03:55 PM

So there ya go...

Can we bear allowing a "crazed fruitcake come to life" thinking we only film rocks? ;-)

Lorinda Norton November 19th, 2010 04:49 PM

Dates have been discussed but not set. If possible, Dylan is wanting this one to be completed before Christmas; we'll try to have a handle on a timeline early next week.

Bill Zens November 19th, 2010 08:52 PM

How about before New Years?

I have been watching this UWOL section and admiring the work and effort so many of you put into your vids. I am considering joining the next challenge. How about making the deadline sometime around New Years. That way, many of us can take advantage of the downtime between Christmas and New Years to put the finishing touches on the project.

And yes, I am building the cojones to join this erstwhile group and see if I really have what it takes to give a presentable and competitive production.:)

Bill

Chris Barcellos November 19th, 2010 10:11 PM

Not sure a the fruitcake will make an appearance this year. Aunt Matilda has been out of the country...

Jump on in Bill. Where in California ?

Per Johan Naesje November 20th, 2010 01:08 AM

New Year

Well, I was participating in the first, it even became the WINNER,
so I will definitive try to participate in this one. I will be off duty between Christmas Eve to New Years Day, so for me deadline 2. of January 2011 would be perfect!

So uwolers, lets go for this one and show something different than rocks!

Ok, back to the ongoing uwol18, have to go out for a couple of hours of more footage...

Steve Siegel November 20th, 2010 09:10 AM

Maybe I should hold my UWOL 18 entry for the Charity Challenge. I shot a lot of rocks. Hey, rocks need friends, just like anyone else.

Catherine Russell November 20th, 2010 12:06 PM

Bill Zens welcome to the UWOL forum! Whether you are ready or not, you are in. You don't think for a minute you can make an appearance like this and be able to slip away? We are looking forward to you joining us in UWOL 19 as well as the Charity Challenge if you are up for it.

In case readers might not be in the know, our very own and exceptionally talented Chris Barcelos who navigates both the UWOL and DV Challenges with distinction, won the Charity Challenge last year. We can't pass up the chance to rib him once in awhile on his success---- crazed fruitcakes aside :)

Per -- LOL! Only our very own and very beloved Per can get away with such humility ;-)

and Steve, not on your life.... you are not holding off your UWOL 18 entry for the Charity Challenge. Have you no shame? Befriending rocks or not, they can stand a little starving of affection this time. They are really tough and can take it. Get your entry in by tomorrow, I am not tolerating you in the shark tank!

You guys rock! (no pun intended). Your enthusiasm for film making inspires!

Cat

Dale Guthormsen November 20th, 2010 06:35 PM

Heck,

I do not even remember if I even participated in the charity challenge last year.

My short term memory has not been converted to long term yet, or maybe the compression killed it!!

December January challenges are so hard as it is usually the rawest part of the year with -20 to -36 degree temps!!!! Canadian Siberia.

I have been finding it harder and harder to do these things!!! However how could I not make a shot at them, I'd have to switch to crack!

I really do not care what the dates are, just the post-work time should not be at the same time!!

Trond Saetre November 21st, 2010 05:08 AM

I will definitely try to find time for the charity challenge!
Usually I am ready for a new challenge the day after I submit the previous one. :)

Lorinda Norton November 21st, 2010 09:28 AM

Thanks so much for all the input, folks. Dylan will be happy to hear it. :)