UWOL 18- A Wetland Portrait by Chris Barcellos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Inner Circle

UWOL 18- A Wetland Portrait by Chris Barcellos

Here is my film for UWOL 18. In this one I was experimenting with with the Canon T2i.

YouTube version here:

YouTube - A Wetlands Portrait
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:09 PM   #2
Trustee

Chris, very nice scenes from the wetland. I liked best the sequence of the Heron and the Cranes, reminds me of Hornborgasjöen in Sweden where the Cranes stops for a rest on the migrating during the spring.

Your footage is very rich saturated and colorful, did you color correct any in post?
I would have liked some slow pans and tilts in the scenery sequences in the beginning. It was a bit stationary.

One more thing, what kind of lensed did you use?
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Nice color Chris, is that straight out of the camera or with correction? I see Per is asking the same thing.
We have some Herons over here, they make the strangest noise when they start whooping.
A nice relaxing film.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:08 PM   #4
Major Player

A lovely portrait, Chris. You really give a feeling for the place. I especially liked that you shot most everything at close to ground level. A little less color saturation would have been good.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I shoot most of my stuff in a real flat setting on the camera. Normally I use adjust levels to get the image where I want it. I used Cineform to convert and edit in. And this time I used Cineforms FirstLight to give the footage a color treatment, selecting film style 5246 from their LUTs. I tried also had to correct the Blue Heron shot, as I accidentally had camera set for indoor lighting...
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Chris,

Very much enjoyed watching. Have to agree maybe slightly oversaturated, but it does make the scenes vibrant

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Nice portrait Chris!

what type of lenses did you use? that would have been nice with some closer shots and pans...
I never been much of a birdman, but as long as the shot contain water I'm happy ;)
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Chris. Another great video from you. Thanks for sharing your post production workflow, maybe we should make it a requirement to state exactly what we did when we post the thread. I always learn a lot from that and I certainly have a lot to learn from you. Perhaps you could expound on your real flat camera settings? Thanks.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Chris,

First, I love the color. Also, I have seen lots of natural light that looked as rich as your video. In this regard I think it is spectacular.

The start seems a little slideshow like, but at 42 things start moving real nice. I loved the great blue heron.

The cranes, I get thousands of them here every fall. I love them and spend a lot of time watching them. I have seen them establish pecking order etc., but I have never seen them doing the jumping game that you have on film!! Are they resident young birds or are they fall migrants? Is the jumping a preflight warm up???

I thought the duck/coot flying off into the black would have made a cool ending!!

First rate as usual.

thank you for taking the time!!!!!
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:08 PM   #10
Inner Circle

More Particulars for those who have asked:

1. For the wild life shots, most were taken using a Vivitar 80 -205 mm zoom lens, Nikon mount, doubled with a Nikon 2x adapter. In 35 mm camera terms, considering the APC sensor on the camera, the zoom was effectively 240mm to 700 mm or so.

2. For most of other shots, I used a 28mm to 80 mm Takumar zoom, adapted from the Pentax K mount on that lens. For the wide shot at the end, I believe I used the kit 17-55 mm a full wide.

3. For the flat camera setting on the T2i, I used the Neutral picture style, then from there, ramped down sharpness, contrast and saturation to. I don't have camera here, so I can't check exact settings.
Its been my experience that by doing this, I can preserve some additional shadow a highlight detail.

4, What the cranes were up to, I am not sure. I just started following these birds in the last year, and this is first time I had seen it, but this is also closer than I had ever been. I assumed it was some sort of mating ritual or a means of establishing a pecking order, but have not researched it. They were not getting ready to fly off. The cranes were filmed at a privately funded refuge near Lodi, California from a designated viewing area.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM   #11
Trustee

Hi Chris

Looks like a nice wetland habitat and some lovely views of it. I'm a little unsure of what to think about the editing on this one. On one hand you had lots of very similar types of shot which I wouldn't usually think was good. However in the context of your multi-facetted 'portrait' it did kind of work. I think it could have been made stronger with the use of slider shots for instance, blending into one another and creating a sort of travelling view of the place and looking at things in more detail along the way. I think it also lacked close-ups and this maybe down to available reach. I really liked some of the Crane footage and I'd have loved tighter close-ups on these guys. On the whole a nice piece with a flavour I can't quite put my finger on but having the basis of something I really like. Sorry....I bet that sounds really confusing :-/ !
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:00 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

This was so pieceful and I enjoyed watching your video.
Personally I like the rich colors you have.
A little more close ups of the birds would be fantastic, and maybe a bit panning or tilting in the beginning to give a feeling of a little motion would be good.
I like what you made! Looking forward to your next video.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:02 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Matt: Yeah, I threatened to take the slider out there. I had just built one of the IGUS DIY versions, and should have, but a few things mitigated against it. ( Like a very sore back not letting me carry much into the field.)

Trond: Actually did some panning shots, but none of them good enough. As far as closer shot of birds, I could have taken a 400 MM Vivitar that I had, but I my original thought was this was going to be generally a wide shot detail of the wetlands. When these opportunities showed up though, I had to take advantage of them.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:44 PM   #14
Trustee

Hi Chris:

Nice to have you with us this round!

Beautiful footage of beautiful wildlife, a statement of what God has laid before you and the equipment in hand. But with all the love I can muster I have to say that for all its wonder, it fell short of what I have seen you do in wildlife film. I have been a student of your passion in film. I have taken some of the techniques that you have come up with that so moved me and applied them when I could to my own work. You are someone who weaves emotion and story into their films! I felt little connection between one clip to the next, as if you were laying on a table very beautiful post cards of a wild and exotic place but without a thread, a connection, a theme, a passion. It wasn't a Chris B. film that I have come to know and love.

I am an encourager at heart and spread lots of grace, but I also cannot write what is untrue in my heart.

Thankfully, I am not the judge of these films. Just a friend who wants to see the best of what I know you can do!

Beg to differ? Lay it on, I'll listen to everything you have to say!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Chris,

Very beautiful footage. The music selection was perfect. In one scene I think I heard the faint sound of some birds; it would have been nice to have a bit more of that. Overall I liked the colors they were definitely punchy, but I think it fit well. I did notice (I viewed the judging copy) that at about 2:38 the scene is not cropped the same as the remainder of the video.

As I recall you use Sony Vegas. Have you upgraded to Vegas 10? It does a nice job with the Canon footage without transcoding.
Rich Ryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge