DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 18 - Aerial Perspective (Not for Judging) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/488033-uwol-18-aerial-perspective-not-judging.html)

Ryan Farnes November 25th, 2010 11:54 AM

UWOL 18 - Aerial Perspective (Not for Judging)

Hey all, I posted this in the Shark Tank. Catherine said I should put it here. Enjoy if you haven't seen it before.

Ever since "Planet Earth," I've wanted to take a camera up in a balloon. Finally, I did.

Click through for HD.

John Abbey November 25th, 2010 12:47 PM

really nice stuff...was it hard to get smooth shots in a balloon??

Chris Barcellos November 25th, 2010 01:07 PM

Looks like the ultimate steady cam to me.

As I stated in the shark tank thread, I am a big fan of this film.

Per Johan Naesje November 25th, 2010 01:37 PM

Now I know how hawks and eagles lives :-)

Ryan, this was amazing and breathtaking. You did a very good job in making this so stable. The best shots was the sequences where you was close to the ground. I was waiting to watch for birds taking off beneath.

The music was nice and fit the piece well, where did you find it?

Steve Siegel November 25th, 2010 04:48 PM

This is really beautiful, Ryan. Thanks for putting it up. You've captured evdrything needed to make an effective ballooning piece, and, wow, what a day you picked to do it on. Where exactly was this, ie. what is the small river that appears several times?

Ryan Farnes November 25th, 2010 09:46 PM

@John

Yes, it is hard to get smooth shots, but only insofar as you can "control" the situation. I went up with a friend and the pilot. So only 3 of us, so it was easy to get everyone to hold still for 10-30 seconds at a time. This is my second time only and so the first time, with a larger group, it can get a little shaky as people do subtle things like shifting their weight between their feet.

@Per Johan

I agree completely. If I was piloting (hehe) I would fly low all the time. I think the shots are most compelling from "tree top" level.

The music is the opening titles track from the film "The Island" by Steve Jablonsky.

@ Steve

It was down near Charlottesville, Virginia. About 2 hours southwest from Washington DC.

I couldn't tell you what river it was. It was a rather small one, not moving very much and somewhat shallow.

Mat Thompson November 26th, 2010 05:01 AM

wow, wow, wow ! Very cool material indeed fella.

Trond Saetre November 26th, 2010 05:16 AM

Ryan, thank you for taking UWOL up into the air. This was amazing and FUN to watch!
I look forward to your next videos.
Keep up your good work.

Rich Ryan November 28th, 2010 12:17 AM

Ryan, that was very nice. Relaxing and well done. It's really too bad you did not trim it a bit and submit if for the round. Personally some of the views from above show more "Intimate Detail" than you see on the ground: the old adage "not able to see the forest for the trees" comes to mind.