UWOL 19 Tales of Wonder & Woe - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 13th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #16
Trustee

OK then.
I read in the newspaper yesterday about an eagle safari?
No, nothing about what is was, just this:
Everyone who wants to join us on 13. feb is welcome at 10.00 am,
and you'll meet us at Haugsbygda (local harbour).

Well, I'm not sure what to expect, but right now I'm boiling me some caffe, making me 2-3 sandwiches, and off I go about an 30 min or so.

Maybe I'll hit something to shoot for uwol 19.

The weather? It's all fine.
My mood? Very exciting :)
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #17
Major Player

First time I have posted under Wonders and Woes.

Having had several false starts over the past week or so yesterday, I did get some sunshine and also managed to record the event I was after. Bit of a departure for me as most is recorded at the long end of the lens and at quite a distance so sharpness is a bit of a problem.
There was a downside it was quite windy so need to return to get better sound (at least this can be achieved on a dull day) plus I need a few more cut aways. With luck I won't be protein for sharks!

For those of you living much further north than me, thought you might like to see some Snow Buntings that have migrated to us for the winter.

Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #18
Major Player

Had some success filming submerged in my local creek. My T2i is performing admirably.
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #19
Wrangler

what gear did you use, Ryan, to shoot your creek shots?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #20
Major Player

T2i with 18-135 lens set to 18mm mostly. Situated inside a 2.5 gallon aquarium. Attached a weight to the aquarium. Ran a USB cable out to my laptop to monitor it out of the water. No little critters or fish in the water right now, but come spring and summer, there are fish, turtles, frogs & tadpoles, etc...in the water and remote monitoring will be good if they don't realize the camera is there. I'm starting to want to look into wireless monitoring if possible, although probably pricey. I imagine there are simple wireless USB connections that simulate a cable, but wirelessly maybe? If the EOS Utility worked off of something like that, suh-weet!

Attached Thumbnails
UWOL 19 Tales of Wonder & Woe-img_20110212_155833.jpg   UWOL 19 Tales of Wonder & Woe-img_20110212_160659.jpg  

UWOL 19 Tales of Wonder & Woe-img_20110212_162802.jpg  
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #21
Regular Crew

That's good stuff Ryan. I did a similar shoot in a creek last fall with my EX1. Pushed it around with a sandbag in the tank for ballast and a 7 inch Marshall monitor mounted on top to see what I was getting. I'll post some clips after I am done with my UWOL entry.
Old February 14th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Looks very cool, Ryan! Underwater shots are always facinating.
I look forward to see your film.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #23
Trustee

Eagle safari

I was out on eagle safari yesterday, and what a day!
Our guide was the leader of Birdlife Norway.
Our mission was of course to look for birds, White-taled Eagle and the Golden Eagle.
But also different kind of seabirds. 26 White-taled Eagles and 3 Golden Eagles and plenty of different seabirds. I think around 35 different species we run across.
After a great tour around our area, we all ended at Runde island, at Christineborg Coast Hotel (Link to website: Christineborg Kysthotel - Forside ) where we got some food and information about starting up a local birdlife unit.
I’m not sure if this will fit the motion-theme for uwol 19, but just had to tell you all about this great day of mine. I leave a picture showing some of the bird watchers.
On forthcoming Wednesday I have one of my exams, but still one weekend to get up with a motion idea?
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL 19 Tales of Wonder & Woe-eagle-safari-sign.jpg  
Old February 14th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #24
Major Player

I’m now somewhat recovered from an upper respiratory infection and I tire very quickly. It remains to be seen if I can come up with a place marker video to stay out of the shark tank. I’ve learned that it is very difficult to think about motion video while spending days on end in bed!

Geir Inge- That sounds like a wonderful trip! Good-luck to your local birdlife group.

Ryan- I recall that Finn-Erik used that technique very effectively in “Barnacle Kingdom” for UC15. I can’t wait to see what you come up with when things start moving this spring.

I hope everyone else is well and making great videos. It sure would be nice to see 19 finished videos for UC19.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #25
Wrangler

great stuff, Ryan! thanks for the pics. I have a splash bag for my UW shots, but it only fits one of my cams. I might have to try the aquarium method...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #26
Major Player

It is definitely easy to do it with a T2i as far as risk is involved. Nothing like a nice inexpensive camera. (relatively speaking)

I do love looking under the surface though. A whole other world down there.
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #27
Inner Circle

It's a wrap! I'm done with the editing. Well, most of it. Still struggling with some color correction of one short clip. (thanks to improper white balance setting in one shot)

Geir Inge,
Sounds like you had a cool adventure!
Hope you did well on the exam!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #28
Inner Circle

good Morning,

It is looking kind of grim!!!

Shot a bit yesterday but only a tiny bit of anything useful because of the winds!!! changed my theme last night, got up this morning to shoot and it is real cold with horizontal snow, almost white out like.
Not so hot for decent video!!

The Tank is looking closer and closer!!!
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #29
Trustee

Hey Dale:

Two and a half minutes of horizontal snow at least would meet the length requirement and fit the theme ;-).

Sorry to hear that the weather is not helping you out much, Dale. Hope something pops up in the day or so!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #30
Trustee

Hey guys

Well I've done nothing yet...but I'm going out tomorrow morning and I'm going to see if I can lay down a film in a day. I'm armed with a varicam, I know my subject and its the right time of year....whether I'll get it....well we will see :-/ !!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge