DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 19 - The perfect weekend - by Trond Saetre (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/492055-uwol-19-perfect-weekend-trond-saetre.html)

Trond Saetre February 21st, 2011 08:47 AM

UWOL 19 - The perfect weekend - by Trond Saetre

This video was supposed to be about a ski trip up on the mountains, in a search for some wildlife.
But.... things don't always go as planned.

Hope you enjoy, and I look forward to any feedback.

Links:
Link to my entry on the uwol website will come soon.
The perfect weekend on youtube

Ryan Farnes February 21st, 2011 02:33 PM

Re: UWOL 19 - The perfect weekend - by Trond Saetre

Snow. It comes when you don't need it and doesn't when you do. Or so it seems...

Dale Guthormsen February 21st, 2011 05:56 PM

Tronde,

A fun little video!! One question, for your link to Utube, why don't you download it in full resolution instead of 360??? You have some real nice images as always!!! I think you need a helmet Cam, or attach a manfrotto 357 mount to a helmet and put your gl2 on top of your head!!! Definitely everyone would think you have gone over the top!!! But, you would get some cool smooth skiing footage in all that soft snow!!! I liked the timing on your music high points!!

Very much enjoyed!!!

Trond Saetre February 22nd, 2011 02:43 AM

Ryan,
It sure does. During that weekend we got about 50cm of snow... in addition to the 1,5 meter we already had.

Dale,
Very good point about the youtube resolution. I have only used a youtube preset in Squeeze, and modified that one a bit.
Uploading a better quality version to youtube right now. Thank you for the heads up!

A helmet cam could definitely be fun. I have experimented a bit by holding the camera in my hands and at about the height of my knees while skiing. It's a challenge to keep the camera steady enough.

Trond Saetre February 22nd, 2011 10:09 AM

The link to the youtube video is now re-activated. Enjoy :)

Mick Jenner February 23rd, 2011 05:41 AM

Hi Trond,

You do get a lot of snow, only a small amount over here in the UK would and does cause total chaos.

Enjoyed watching, well done

Mick

Trond Saetre February 23rd, 2011 11:54 AM

Mick, thanks for the comment.
Yes we got a lot of snow up in the mountains. It's about 1,5-2 meters there now. And more to come...

Trond Saetre February 23rd, 2011 12:05 PM

Link to the film on the uwol website

Here is the link to my film on the uwol website:
The perfect weekend

Catherine Russell February 23rd, 2011 12:33 PM

Hey Trond:

How are you friend? Nice story you've got there! I loved your time lapses and how you creatively incorporated them into your story. I have a little GoPro that I haven't been able to test out yet, and can't wait to try some time laps of my own. Any pointers let me know. Shoveling snow keeps you Norwegians in shape, no?

Nicely done! Your snow-detoured ski trip brought a smile to my lips none the less! :)

Cat

Mike Sims February 23rd, 2011 12:46 PM

Hello Trond! We had a little snow here during the contest this time. It happens about every twenty years and we don’t ever have to shovel anything, much less the roof and cars! So that’s what real snow looks like. Your hand-held technique is still very good. I wish I could do that. There was a bit of color miss match in some shots. I’m guessing this was because of different sun angles being reflected off of the snow. Some shots looked decidedly cool (actually all the shots looked bloody darned cold to this thin-skinned Texan but you know what I mean!) while the shots near the house looked much warmer. Your videos always manage to project such a sense of fun. It must be the Rule 11 effect.

Trond Saetre February 23rd, 2011 01:49 PM

Catherine,
Thank you for the feedback.
Everything was filmed with my good old XM2 and then I increased the speed in post to match the soundtrack.

Mike,
I am painfully aware of the color mismatch you mention.
Some is due to incorrect white balance.
Tried to correct it in post, and didn't get it as good as wanted. Better luck next time.

Dale Guthormsen February 23rd, 2011 08:55 PM

Tronde,

what editing software are youo using for your color grading and white balance?

Trond Saetre February 24th, 2011 12:02 AM

Dale, I only use the Premiere CS3 for color correcting. Still need to learn that feature better, but I'm getting there.
Have found several good tutorials at www.creativecow.net.

Dale Guthormsen February 25th, 2011 06:19 PM

Tronde,

I have Premiere Pro, I think after effects is better if you want to stay with adobe products. I have found sony Vegas pro to be the most useful. I have conopus Edius 5.0 as well as after efects but really do all the color correcting or grading in Vegas. If you ever want to try a trial version let me know and I can give some solid advice on using Vegas for color correcting wildlife and wedding footage.

tutorials really make the learning curve not quite so steep!!!

Trond Saetre February 26th, 2011 03:25 AM

Dale, I also have After Effects CS3, and I am slowly learning my way through that one.
I will follow your tips and do the color correcting in AE instead of Premiere.
Never tried Vegas yet, since I have been using the Adobe software for years.
Thank you!