DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 19 - Underwater Motion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/492063-uwol-19-underwater-motion.html)

Ryan Farnes February 21st, 2011 11:23 AM

UWOL 19 - Underwater Motion

A very brief montage of underwater shots set to music. I didn't get as much shot as I should have, but this submission is my attempt to avoid the shark tank.

Click through for HD. Enjoy.

EDIT: Whoops, have removed the video. I saw the others up and thought once the deadline was past, we could post. Waiting for the official page....

Ryan Farnes February 22nd, 2011 12:17 PM

Re: UWOL 19 - Underwater Motion

Trond Saetre February 22nd, 2011 01:16 PM

Hi Ryan,
I've been looking forward to watch your underwater entry since you posted those stills earlier.
Nice video you made!

Mick Jenner February 23rd, 2011 05:53 AM

Hi Ryan,

Its interesting to see the underwater movements. I can't help but think that you needed a focal point to the film i.e fish or insect. Nevertheless I think your idea of puting the camera in an aquarium has great potential and at the right time of the year in the right enviroment should produce fantastic footage.

Mick

Mike Sims February 23rd, 2011 12:50 PM

Howdy, Ryan. I look at this as a “proof of concept” video and I think that is how you intended it. I see a lot of promise here. You mentioned elsewhere trying movement within the aquarium. I think it would require at least a 55L (that’s 55 gallon long not 55 liters!) to accommodate a small slider. They’re not particularly portable- certainly not a one-man-job. You might, however, put a motorized pan tilt (something like a Meade DS head) inside a 20H or 29H. Are you using a circular polarizer? Also, covering as much as possible of the above water and inside behind the camera with black velvet might cut down on internal reflections. Please keep us posted on your results as you continue to use this very interesting technique.

Catherine Russell February 23rd, 2011 02:48 PM

Hey Ryan:

I am fascinated by your technique here and don't have any experience with what you are doing. What amazing results! I hope to see more of this in the future and after you have finessed the technique and can give us tips, I'd like to give it a try.

Well done avoiding the sharks this round. Looking forward to a full entry from you in the near future.

Cat

Dale Guthormsen February 23rd, 2011 08:37 PM

Ryan,,

One of the reasons I love and live UWOL challenge is that I learn great techniques and skills I can use in the future. This uwol I have already seen two methods of doing interesting shooting that can enhance my videos!! This one shows what a little creativity can do to come up with some usable footage you may never get otherwise. I even have a spare aquarium out in the shop!!!

As for the video itself, I think having a voice over perhaps talking about sediment, floating organic material, dispersal and such would give some depth to your footage.

I love the music but feel it was to strong for what you had shot.

I need to get after shooting under water once it changes states!!!!

Thank you for taking the time and sharing.

Lorinda Norton August 6th, 2011 10:23 PM

Hi Ryan,

Without email access to you this thread and Vimeo are my only ways to contact you and let you know about the deadline extension. Wanting to make sure you know you now have until August 31 to complete your film! :)

Ryan Farnes August 8th, 2011 03:02 PM

Roger! Perhaps I'll go submerge in a creek again...