UWOL Long Form Projects- Where are they now? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL Long Form Projects- Where are they now?

Not so long ago many of us spent a great deal of time working on UWOL Long Form projects. Some of us were able to “finish”, others were sadly not. Many of us, like myself, became emotionally invested in other people’s projects. I propose we use some of the down time between rounds to bring each other up to date on where these projects have gone. Some may still be actively working on their project- Catherine and Marj for example. There was some talk about Mat’s coming out on DVD (I would love to own a copy; that UWIR shot of the breeding newts is still one of my all time favorites!). Some of us may be working on new projects which are direct outgrowths of our UWOL LF work. I would love to hear what each of you is working on and I suspect that I am not alone in this!

As for me, when we began the LF I didn’t own a HD camera. Most of my project was shot in SD. The HD footage shot at the end of the year was downrezzed. I’m trying now to only work in HD so I have marked the project as educational experience and archived it. I will be returning to the desert later this year to try and shoot an idea I had while working on my LF. I have built a contraption that I hope will let me record IR close-ups of Long-nosed Bats nectar feeding at Century Plant blossoms. I’ll let you know if it works…
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL Long Form Projects- Where are they now?

I've been showing my Long Form as the entertainment at Audubon Society meetings. I was amazed at how nicely it blows up to the size of a slide-show type viewing screen. At least one of the shots I made for the Long Form, but didn't use may appear in the movie "The Big Year" when it premieres in October.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi all,
Well i haven't had too much to say on this forum lately. I'm still a bit embaressed that i can't seem to finish a regular challenge of late! Anyway, i am still working on my Mountain caribou project. The last year has been very busy for me, & i haven't done nearly as much as i would have liked on my project, but lately i have started to get some more done on it. I do have lots more footage to get still, but i have to say, i am certainly getting somewhere with it. My lovely partner has been very supportive, & she doesn't mind if i'm away filming on weekends, & has even hinted that she might like to come & help out a bit!!
Anyway, if i can get the footage that i need, i hope to be finished by the end of this year, if not then it will have to be next year, or, if i still don't get the footage, it may well be the year after!! Since there is no longer a deadline on this, i figure it will simply take as long as it takes to make a great piece out of it.
When i have some stuff worth putting up, i will post some short snippets as teasers.
Great to hear others too are still putting time into their long form projects.
Regards,
Bryce
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Bryce,

Good to hear you are still at it. there is really no time frame. What ever ittakes to get it done is just fine. I have a couple projects I am on year 3 on!! Need a couple wild flowers in bloom and have not been able to get them as I want them, snow and wind problems, maybe this spring.
I am probably going to rebuild my long form with a pile of new footage shot this year and get the shots I never did the fall I was doing it. I had a huge double hard drive crash and will have to rebuild it anyway so may as well improve the whole package. i am not setting a timeline for myself on this one.
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi
My project is (was) about seabirds. I've been trying for over 3 years now to make a video for TV on this subject. Well, it's much harder than I thought in the beginning ;)
I did a lot of shooting working on my ULF project (didn't finished though).
As my studying takes almost all of my time, I have decided to try and finished the project in 2012.
I have my last exam in May 2012, oh am I longing for that day :)
I don't think I will be able to part in uwol this year, no speartime left.
Still, I will try to get some time and shoot specific scenes at Runde island and around the islets of Kvamsoy (you've seen these places in my earlier videos). These are good places for seabird locations.
I need mating scenes, feeding scenes, fighting scenes and a lot more close ups.
The big challenge making a longer video is, as I see it, the editing prosess.
If I can get it done by 2012 I will try to sell it to a TV station and also get it on a film festival.
I intend to make a version with norwegian VO, and one with english VO.
Hope you all are doing fine :)
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #6
Wrangler

great thread - a lot of fun to hear these updates and to know that some of these projects are still alive and reincarnating themselves into different forms and uses, out there in the world.

that's what it's all about...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Trustee

Well, it's been a long time since this thread was added to, & i can only hope that like me, others who didn't get to finish their long form project for the competition are still working on their project. The last time i posted about my film on the mountain caribou was over 12 months ago. Back then, i had hoped to be finished by the end of last year. Well, i am now hoping to be finished some time early next year! Yes is seems like a long way off, but i am still plugging away at it, & slowly but surely making some progress. I have had some success filming the caribou, as well as getting some footage of wolves & a cougar. Still hoping to get some footage of grizzly bears as they are a big part of the einvironement up there.
I have been using trail cameras a lot to find where certain animals go at certain times of the year & have had some good results with them. Of course it's one thing to leave a camera like this set up for weeks on end & capture footage. Of course, as soon as i set up a hide & spend countless hours in the freezing cold hoping to capture with my good camera what the trail camera managed to capture, the animals seem to be rather shy & don't seem to want to show at all. Still, i can't complain, i am out in a beautiful part of the world & can honestly say i enjoy every moment of it.
I am still working on the script for the narration & i'm happy with how that is coming along. I may even do the narration myself as the last time i recorded it, i thought it sounded better than i had managed any time before.
I will try to post some footage to Vimeo in the coming weeks to show you how it's coming along & hopefully get some critical feedback from you all.
Regards,

Bryce
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #8
Trustee

Glad to hear that you're doing allright, Bryce.
I have put my ULF on ice as I'm studying, but will proceed afterwords.
During my work with ULF I shot a lot of otter video.
Our National TV station bought some of it to use in a TV magazine about the otter, mostly mine where used ;-) AND I did get paid - so I'm happy how it turned out.
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Trustee

Hey Geir,
Great to hear from you. How are your studies going? That's great to hear you managed to get a bunch of your footage shown on national TV. You must have been extremely pleased about that!

Regards,

Bryce
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I never completed any long form uwol, but I have been planning to make a documentary about my own city for some years now.
Got kick-started by the December 2011 uwol, when I made a short teaser/trailer.
Hopefully I can film everything this year, or at least complete by next year.

Geir:
Well done selling yours!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Trustee

Sounds great Trond. Will you keep us updated with how it is going?

Bryce
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Bryce, yes I'll keep you updated.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Inner Circle

It is good to see a few are still using or working on their long form.

Mine I placed on vimeo in two parts when it was not really finished. I had computer and hard drive issues so I let it drop.

I did have a couple parts of it I submitted to a tv station and they ran them in march. So I rekon that is a bit of a success in a small way.

I also had pbs take a section of one of my videos off my vimeo page and use it, without asking I might add.

I may actually make a new effort of improving it and completing it this year

Actually it would be nice to undergo another long form challenge!!!
Old May 27th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #14
Trustee

That's great to hear Dale. Well maybe not about PBS ripping off your footage, but that you managed to get it finished for the most part, & that it aired on public tv. Well done!
I had a bit of success just yesterday with my search for grizzly bear footage for my film. Something i was a bit nervous about actually. Well i happened upon this young grizzly yesterday & managed to get some very nice footage of him.
There is still lots more footage i need in order for me to put this whole film together, but with each little triumph like yesterdays, i get that little bit closer to putting it all together.

Bryce
Old May 28th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #15
Major Player

Bryce, Sounds like you've had some good luck. "Just happening upon a young grizzly" is not something many people get away with.

Dale, I'm surprised at two things. One that PBS would use downloaded Vimeo-quality footage, and two, that they didn't offer you compensation for it. Does this mean that we all should be on the lookout for PBS piracy?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge