UWOL 20- Tales of Wonder and Woe! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:24 PM   #46
Trustee

Re: UWOL 20- Tales of Wonder and Woe!

Well, I've finished my exam and been out trying to get my script on tape.
Dale: there's a word I've seen been used by you, is it "darn"?
I'm not sure what it meens, but I think it fits my need of using it right now.
I have until tomorrow morning to get some last scenes on tape, but will I manage to do so, that's the big question?
Then I have to edit the hole crap and get it uploaded.
I've had snow, wind, rain and sunshine, so the weather is there, allright.
Still I have to get my object on tape. So far it's been mostly seagulls and it's not what I'm after.
Then yesterday I noticed that when I use the original lens (I have an Canon XLH1 camera) when focusing, the picture some kind of "goes" from side to side before it stands still. Maybe there is something wrong with the camera or the lens? Anybody have the same experience?
Hope all of you have been lucky and I'm longing to see your videos :)
Old April 22nd, 2011, 02:45 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Geir,

Few thoughts,

Set the flange setting Page 26 in manual)

Make sure image stabilaization is off.

Also, is it the view finder? if you have a fu 1000, pull it off and try the original and see.

I saw that a couple years back and do not remember what it was about. If your view finder is at fault I have a spare color one I could loan you.

Edit, I remembered, I had a fall in the snow banged down breaking the tripod head and also damaging the viewfinder. I no longer carry them attached over the shoulder!!

dale
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:39 PM   #48
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Geir,

Few thoughts,

Set the flange setting Page 26 in manual)

Make sure image stabilaization is off.

Also, is it the view finder? if you have a fu 1000, pull it off and try the original and see.

I saw that a couple years back and do not remember what it was about. If your view finder is at fault I have a spare color one I could loan you.

Edit, I remembered, I had a fall in the snow banged down breaking the tripod head and also damaging the viewfinder. I no longer carry them attached over the shoulder!!

dale
Thank you Dale. I'll check it out tomorrow, now it's midnight over here :)
Hope you're doing well and I'm looking forward to see your contribution to this round of uwol.
I'll give a sign if it works.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:41 PM   #49
Major Player

Dale,
I know exactly what you are talking about. Some years ago I was carrying my Canon L2 (remember that one?) over my shoulder on a tripod when I felt the weight go away and heard a crash. It was smashed into a million little pieces. Since then I always anchor my camcorder with two screws, and attach the whole thing to the arm of the tripod with a short bungee cord. Can't wait to see what you have got this time.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:11 PM   #50
Major Player

Steve, Dale- Have you guys seen this?
Duckbill Outdoors | Heavy Optics Carrier (SPOC)
It looks interesting. Sounds like Geir Inge's problem is specific to that lens.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:36 PM   #51
Trustee

Hi guys:

Well, I found the Bald Eagle nest and the Eagles I mentioned earlier in this thread. :) The female is sitting on the nest and the male just sits in a tree :). That's the good news.

The bad news is the female/nest are way out of film range (for my gear anyway), and although the male was much more accommodating he was still a little too out of my focus range this time. Lots of footage, just none of it that once in a lifetime shot that's worth sharing. Better luck next time, maybe!

Congrats on finishing your exams, Geir!

Chatting about carrying cameras on tripods over shoulders and losing the camera makes my skin crawl. Earlier this Fall, my husband and I had to film ourselves climbing for a State Parks video and the only choice was to anchor the tripod at the top of the climb and hang the camera facing down over the side of the rock wall. I shudder to even think about it!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:38 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Mike,

thanks for the link, I will look into that.

My tripod is 15 pounds, camera set up 22 pounds, was wondering if that system was ment for so much weight.

It is not conducive to humping around the country to be honest.

I use the sony fx 1000 rig, about 6 pounds and my gitzo 1380 tripod, about 12 pounds which is a lot easier, but you have to hunt your game and stalk and get close with only the 20x zoom!!! If I need the blimp and shotgun mick that adds another couple few pounds.

Filming wildlife is easy, When it all goes according to plan!!! LOL!!!

dale
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:48 PM   #53
Trustee

Hi Mike:

Just read your post about the credits going over 3 minutes. No problem. Our judge will know what's acceptable on our forum and knows to "lighten" up on judging negatively any films over 3 minutes due to credits.

Okay, that was a bad light joke:-/, but the info is true.
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:51 PM   #54
Major Player

Thanks Cat. Too bad about that nest. The first couple of days after the young leave the nest they are still pretty poor flyers and stay close to the ground. They are somewhat approachable then and the parents will be coming to feed. You might still be able to get some shots.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Cat,

If all I was to use was "that once in a lifetime shot" I would never have much to show!!!

Persoanlly I think good behavioral footage, good comps and unusual are all great.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:01 PM   #56
Major Player

Cat,

Trade ya a Bald Eagle for a Goshawk. Last year we had an eagle nest 30 feet from a major road. Every morning people would line up to watch on their way to school or work. The city finally had to put up a makeshift fence to deter those photographers who think they just have to go up to the tree trunk to get their pictures.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #57
Major Player

I’m about 48 hours into my regularly scheduled battle with compression. Usually I have to compress about a dozen times to get a file that fits the size limit and is free of any major compression artifacts. I’m well over twice that this time. I have a file with only one artifact in the credits. Unfortunately it is on the main title. I will upload that file if I can’t get something better today. I really dread this part because it is so frustrating. I think the most frustrating part is that the artifacts are never in the same place twice and are completely unpredictable. I’m glad some of you are finished and I hope the rest are faring better than my last couple of days.
Old April 24th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #58
Major Player

Yes! I finally got one to render properly. Not sure if it was persistence or obstinance. Now to upload.

Geir Inge, did you solve your lens problem?
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #59
Major Player

Edit complete - last minute as usual - SOP.
Rendering - 7:29 PM HST.
Will upload to UWOL.com ASAP
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #60
Trustee

Hey Dale: If you call "good behavioral footage" the Eagle just sitting in the tree doing nothing, I got me lots of that :)

And Steve, no deal on the trade.... I'm going to get me that Bald Eagle footage worth sharing. I'm thinking of renting a camera with a hefty telephoto for a day and see what I can shake out that way. And I know you wouldn't take it, but you are always welcome to that Goshawk footage. When something just simply falls in your lap like that, it's just got to be shared! I would be thrilled if you ever wanted to use it in anything! :)

Mike: How exciting! Do you know about when baby Bald Eagles leave the nest? Do the parents leave after they do? Do they return to the same spot the following year? How many months do you think I've got to try and film them? Oh, to get footage of the parents feeding the juveniles on the ground!!! Ooooh, swoon!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge