DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Shark Tank #20 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/494972-shark-tank-20-a.html)

Mick Jenner April 23rd, 2011 07:47 AM

Shark Tank #20

Sorry but we will have to be the first to take the plunge this round!

Although now retired travelling around the UK with all the time in the world, we were asked to help out with a couple of filming jobs (favours being returned) which took us away from where we had started filming for the challenge.
Now matter how much we played around with the footage already recorded and now in an area with different fauna and flora and of course light. With little or no time leftwe were unable to produce anything worthy of submitting.

Sorry to let you down Cat, but thank you for keeping us updated

Mick and Pat

Dale Guthormsen April 23rd, 2011 11:02 AM

Re: Shark Tank #20

Mick,

my father retired at 37 years of age, told me he didn't know what busy was until he retired.

At the time I thought, "what a daft statement".

Now, I totally understand what he ment!! Rekon you do to!!!

dale

Catherine Russell April 23rd, 2011 01:30 PM

Your dad retired at age 37 ???????? Was he a football player?

Mick, sorry you took the plunge. This isn't a theme that gives much wiggle room with content. All the best for next time.

Cat

Mick Jenner April 23rd, 2011 03:03 PM

Hi Dale and Cat,

I retired from the Police Service first time round at 49yrs and then my wife and I worked for the Caravan Club of GB running a Caravan site (most of the time in the New Forest, Hampshire, a wildlife mecca) for the summer. This along with commisions from travel companies financed our world travel and wildlife filming during the UK winter months. At the begining of last year ill health (now fully recovered) forced hopefully my final retirement!! This year we are travelling soley around the uk in our caravan with the intention of doing as much wildlife filming as possible, whilst my wife Pat (who is also my very able assistant) indulges her passion for photography. As you say Dale,and as we have already found out, you end up finding yourself with less time than you imagined you would have. We will be back!!!!

Mick

John Isgren April 23rd, 2011 07:02 PM

Anybody see a couple of weeks of April round here? I seem to have misplaced them somewhere.........Not good for my first try at entering.

Markus Nord April 23rd, 2011 11:11 PM

A few vital clips didn't turn out the way the should have... So I take the dive, again. Not fun, but that's the way it is...

Mihali Moore April 24th, 2011 04:19 AM

I too failed to get anything this round. Too busy with other work, including editing some films for a safari company of some footage I shot in Feb. It would be great to upload a short promo version for people to dissect.

Would an unofficial upload for viewing and critiquing only be an option? I'll keep it under three minutes. It would be good just to get some feedback.

Well done to those who have completed this round!

Mihali

Dale Guthormsen April 24th, 2011 09:00 AM

You would likly just get more fed back by doing so on the straight UWOL forum. Lots of people do that and you get all types of constructive replys.

Catherine Russell April 24th, 2011 04:11 PM

Hi Mihali:

You are more than welcome to post a film for feedback. Since it is not in competition, post whatever you want on Vimeo and put up a thread. It doesn't need to stay within the 3-min-duration limit rule if it's not a competing film.

This goes for everyone at anytime. Even during the "off" season of UWOL, films are welcome for critique. The only problem with posting a film during the "off" season is that there might be less traffic than during a UWOL challenge.

Like Dale said, it's a great way to have a work critiqued by the community. Go for it!

Cat

Ryan Farnes April 24th, 2011 07:59 PM

Splash. :-|

Trond Saetre April 25th, 2011 11:49 AM

Splash!

Filmed a little, still a bit editing issues so I never made any story out of what I had filmed, and Sorenson Squeeze took hours and hours... and more hours... until there was no more time.

Next time I must complete something. I hate being with the sharks!
Looking forward to see all the submitted entries.

Mike Sims April 25th, 2011 02:21 PM

Sorry things didn’t work out Trond. I’m still looking forward to footage from the new camera. But wait- we just got 24 more hours! You might be the first person to jump in and still escape the sharks!

Trond Saetre April 25th, 2011 02:34 PM

Footage out of the camera is crystal clear with nice bright colors.
After compressing with Squeeze it sometimes looks a bit "washed out" as if it was shot in a light haze or something like that.

I might upload an out of contest video to youtube within a few days if I get Squeeze to cooperate.
Still working with Cineform about that issue as well. Still only able to edit and play the Cineform files if I select a XDCAM EX project preset instead of a Cineform preset in Premiere CS3.

Kevin McRoberts April 25th, 2011 05:30 PM

oh carp!

Got some good footage, and was just going to get around to editing it as soon as I finished one more project....

Guess I have LOTS more time now.